DSK

Default Question inspired by a Dutch sailor.

otnmbrd wrote:

Only on Navy combatants .... otherwise there'd better NOT be any
sal****er in those main storage tanks .... water, maybe some (from the
fuel) but not sal****er.

On the big ships I did contract work on, more than a few (maybe half?) had service
or ready tanks and transferred fuel daily. The really big diesels are apparently
capable of gulping in a few gallons of seawater now & then. The steamships aren't
any problem at all unless it is a big enough slug of water to put all the burners
out at once. Of course it's pretty bad for the machinery, but why complain when we
were making so much money fixing it?

A good thing, too. The wipers are *supposed* to check the seperator bowls at least
hourly, but I used to put notes on the seperators in big letters "Bring Me This
Note Immediately Upon Finding... $5 Reward" and had the whole watch go by.

Main reason on larger vessels is to clean and for heavy fuel, to get to
right temp.

Just this past weekend, I was explaining to a guy with a big motorsailer what a
"cleavage manifold" was. That's always been one of my favorite terms!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Scout

Doug,
I had a friend who told me they use sea water as ballast on bigger ships in
the navy, possibly CG. Of course, he's since gone mad and I can't confirm.
Scout

"DSK" wrote in message

otnmbrd wrote:

[...]

Horvath

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:43:05 GMT, "Bart Senior"
wrote this crap:

I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

M-1 Abrahms

How is it used?

Battlefield superiority

Why would you want one?

To be invincible.

Marc

wrote:

I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

smaller aux tank which contains a days worth of fuel

How is it used?

fuel is filtered and transfered to the daytank for immediate use

Why would you want one?

as part of an onboard fuel polishing system. A choice of many people
who don't have rapid turnover of fuel in the main tank. Allows for
secondary and continuous on board fuel filtration.

Bart Senior

Marc wrote
wrote:

I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

smaller aux tank which contains a days worth of fuel

Also these are typically gravity fed.

How is it used?

fuel is filtered and transfered to the daytank for immediate use

Why would you want one?

as part of an onboard fuel polishing system. A choice of many people
who don't have rapid turnover of fuel in the main tank. Allows for
secondary and continuous on board fuel filtration.

1 point.

Main tanks tend to accumlate dirt and sludge. By filtering and filling
your day tank, before leaving the dock, you are assured a clean supply
of fuel. The gravity feed also makes it easier to bleed the fuel system
if that becomes necessary.

Michael

I made a point of not reading the answers of the others but using this as a
good method to segue back into .asa.

Day Tank is one used for water or fuel. You have to fill it with the amount
you want to use, per your rationing requirements. When it runs out you are
done for that day.

How'd I do?

Michael

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

How is it used?

Why would you want one?

Michael

Newport News for two more weeks. Then back to Seattle and Port Townsend for
a month of schools and upgrades (200 ton and oceans with radar endorsement).
A couple of weeks working on the new boat etc. My good friends up in the
Pac NW area have been more than supportive in many ways. In fact a lot of
good friends up and down the coast fit that category. Then back to sea for
the last go round before I switch from diesels back to sails. Had a couple
of good offers in the long term charter skipper business and the delivery
business. The real key though is the upgrades I mentioned, especially going
from near coastal to oceans. Lot of difference, especially where insurance
companies concerned between the two. I think I can squeeze those jobs in
between going hither and yon and writing about it (my basic plan). For now
though I'm going to remain true, get the new boat done and it's turning into
a real gem!

Don't know if you read it elsewhere but if things go completely right I'm
trucking the boat to the Great Lakes, down the St. Lawrence, round the
corner and will be right by your bailiwick early next Summer. Then down
the coast to the islands and on, eventually, to Bequia back west and
eventually NW to Corpus and truck to San Diego. All part of an article I'm
doing for one of the magazines. Then lay over the summer in S. Cal with
some other friends awaiting the end of the storm season and on down to the
S.Pacific without the usual ho hum stops in Mexico again. That place is like
California without trees and after awhile it's just bribes and booze. If
things don't go well time wise then I'll just head South, hang a while at my
slip in California and go into the next, the Pacific part a bit early then
return back and do the East Coast trip a bit later. Either way it works for
me. The Pacific part? I'm thinking Juan Fernandez Islands off Chile and
just about have my good sailing buddy Kai talked into to doing that part
especially since it goes right by Easter Island. THEN back up to Hawaii
where he has his boat and re-create the voyage of the schooner Pau! At Samoa
where we stopped the last time I can go in acouple of directions, doesn't
matter. Lots of good things to write about just in this one paragraph.
I'm getting more into the idea of doing interesting alternatives to the
usual, everyone's done it a thousand times trips I guess. Too much panicky
deck fluff and overweight bar bunnies for me. You know . . .sail down wind,
truck up wind? Mights well watch reality TV. I guess I shouldn't be too
hard. Some can, some won't.

Don't know if you saw it or not but check the May issue of Lats and Att's
for an article called View From The Bridge. That's my first one. Next
article will be to the editor around theend of the month and we'll see if
lightning strikes twice. Actually, they asked for more!

Little surprise here and there my good buddy and someone many of you know,
the original skipper and creator of the Pau voyage has steered me in
theright direction with invaluable advice and editing. In a former life he
was a professional writer as it happens. And I might's well toot Ole Thom's
praises as well as this next article was caused by something he started
teaching me some years ago. Yep! I paid attention. It's called Emergency
Navigation for Yacht Crews as a working title. Not for the GPS and
Martooni set that's for sure. Just wind, waves, stars and fingers. Lucky I
have a few left!

'nuff of this . . . . Here's a question for you to pose.

What's a Seattle Head?

Cheers

Michael

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
et...
Good Michael. How are you doing?

Where are you now?

Michael wrote
I made a point of not reading the answers of the others but using this

as
good method to segue back into .asa.

Day Tank is one used for water or fuel. You have to fill it with the

amount
you want to use, per your rationing requirements. When it runs out you

are
done for that day.

How'd I do?

Michael

"Bart Senior" wrote
[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

How is it used?

Why would you want one?

Bart Senior

I'll guess and say it's a board with a hole cut in it.

Michael wrote

What's a Seattle Head?

Thom Stewart

Question Bart?

Would you consider the remote fuel tank on an Outboard Aux a day tank?

Ole Thom

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Wish you had a Dutch Motoryacht? Searcher Cruising 0 August 4th 03 03:51 PM