Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Barret Bonden

Default salt water in engine - AGAIN ! Head Gasket ????

Universial Atomic 4 (inboard , salt water cooled) - 2 years ago I found
salt water in 2 cylinders and my mechanic suggested and then did a head
gasket ; she ran fine for 40 to 60 hours of use, and then - more water in
the aft 2 cylinders nearest the exhaust ; I was in rough seas - and there
is a possibility water sloshed it's way back up - I did some work on the
system to make this less likely, and used the engine for 10 more hours ;
worked fine - and then it happened again, in seas much less rough but still
rougher than the prior 10 hours - so my question is , can a head gasket
fail randomly ? Can it hold most of the time and then give out , and then
hold again, or is this a matter of water working it's way back up through
the exhaust ?

Siphons, anti-siphons & wet exhausts JAXAshby ASA 57 June 19th 04 08:25 PM
Engine Additives / Salt Water Wash Gary Warner General 0 June 18th 04 03:59 PM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
salt water intrusion into engine compartment...... Courtney Thomas Cruising 2 February 24th 04 08:13 PM
Battery Water (revisited) NIFFOCBT Electronics 73 November 15th 03 12:14 AM