Flying Tadpole

Default Free cradle

Nav wrote:

Flying Tadpole wrote:

katysails wrote:

MC snorted: Nah, I believe his boat is on a fresh water lake.

Good one! LOL

Another one who doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to the
Great Lakes....

I'd fire up antoher verse of Edmund Fitzgerald, but it's far too
good and far too serious for this forum...

You missed the pun too? You must be tired!

Your salty pun was just too deep for me. Now that I've gone back
and looked at it again, I wish I hadn't...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

Nav wrote:

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Martin Baxter" wrote

ahh that'll do but to put it as simply as possible, fresh water is
lighter and thinner than salt so it gets in easier.

Thinner? You have some viscosity data to back this up? More likely fresh

water exhibits a higher osmotic pressure because the difference in water

concentration is greater in fresh than brine. (osmotic pressure being

proportional to the differences in concentration on either side of the
membrane)

Even though Marty has the clap, he still sounds smart.

Or perhaps a faint fairy clap? My memory which may be atfault lo,
these many years, is that "osmosis" and "osmotic pressure" are
labels describing a process which is known to happen and easily
demonstrated and measured, just like gravity and which, just like
gravity, no-one knows what it actually is.

Nav (or others) here's your chance to put the Tadpole down. It's
been a long time since I consciously studied physiology.

Why would telling you someting about science be putting you down? By the
way, osmotic pressure is derivable from first principles (see
thermodynamics).

Oops. Yes it is. My tired brain must have been confusing faint
echoes of membrane transport systems...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:30:22 +1200, Nav
scribbled thusly:

That's warm but is it warmer than the fresh water you are thinking about?

Cheers

Assume the same temp.....must be a shallow lake.

Hey Taddy, what's the temp in your pond in summer?

Around 20deg C. Never gets really warm (it's shallow and
maritime, with strong winds). Note that the vineyards (Langhorne
Creek) around it are actually classified as "cool climate"!!!
because of the sea breezes. Winter temperatures, try about 8degC

On blisters, I wouldn't have thought warmer would have made much
impact compared with teh greater osmotic differential between
fresh water & the pockets in the glas, and salt water and the
pockets in the glass, but I'm ever ready to learn, as always.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
katysails

Taddy stated: I'd fire up another verse of Edmund Fitzgerald, but it's far
too
good and far too serious for this forum...

Speaking of which, Gordy L. almost died this past year...that would have
been a very bad thing for folk music...and for the sailing world....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Flying Tadpole

katysails wrote:

Taddy stated: I'd fire up another verse of Edmund Fitzgerald, but it's far
too
good and far too serious for this forum...

Speaking of which, Gordy L. almost died this past year...that would have
been a very bad thing for folk music...and for the sailing world....

To be honest, I was startled to find he was still alive at the
last winter olympics in Canada...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Nav

OK so is there a big difference in viscosity?

Cheers

OzOne wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:30:22 +1200, Nav
scribbled thusly:

That's warm but is it warmer than the fresh water you are thinking about?

Cheers

Assume the same temp.....must be a shallow lake.

Hey Taddy, what's the temp in your pond in summer?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Nav

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Nav wrote:

Flying Tadpole wrote:

katysails wrote:

MC snorted: Nah, I believe his boat is on a fresh water lake.

Good one! LOL

Another one who doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to the
Great Lakes....

I'd fire up antoher verse of Edmund Fitzgerald, but it's far too
good and far too serious for this forum...

You missed the pun too? You must be tired!

Your salty pun was just too deep for me. Now that I've gone back
and looked at it again, I wish I hadn't...

Even a poor pun is better than no fun!

Cheers

Nav

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:50:54 +1200, Nav
scribbled thusly:

OK so is there a big difference in viscosity?

Cheers

Nah. bugger all...but there is a diference.

So you'll accept it's all in the osmotic pressure?

Cheers

Nav

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:40:38 +0930, Flying Tadpole
scribbled thusly:

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:30:22 +1200, Nav
scribbled thusly:

That's warm but is it warmer than the fresh water you are thinking about?

Cheers

Assume the same temp.....must be a shallow lake.

Hey Taddy, what's the temp in your pond in summer?

Around 20deg C. Never gets really warm (it's shallow and
maritime, with strong winds). Note that the vineyards (Langhorne
Creek) around it are actually classified as "cool climate"!!!
because of the sea breezes. Winter temperatures, try about 8degC

Brrrrrr!

On blisters, I wouldn't have thought warmer would have made much
impact compared with teh greater osmotic differential between
fresh water & the pockets in the glas, and salt water and the
pockets in the glass, but I'm ever ready to learn, as always.

Yep, me too.

You might also wonder why blisters around the water line are more
common. Ask Doug -he's seen plenty! Speaking of whom, I wonder if his
fix up is still OK.

Cheers