Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Marc

Default Irwin 40 Dismasting

An Irwin 40, berthed in my marina, was dismasted Saturday in 20 kn
winds while tacking. An inspection of the hull today revealed the
following: This Irwin 40's chainplates consisted of a SS plate bonded
low in the hull with 5200. Connected to that is a rod and turnbuckle
which penetrates the deck to a tie down fitting for the shrouds. The
port chain plate was ripped through the deck and disappered with the
rig.

There is no mechanical connection other than the tie fitting screwed
to the deck. The entire strength of the chain plate is in the shear
bond of the 5200!

I know that Irwins do not have the best reputation, but I find it hard
to believe that this level of engineering was acceptable to the
industry, sailing pros, reviewers, insurers, etc. at the time.

FS: 37' Irwin Ketch in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 April 12th 04 07:51 AM
Polycorbonate Hard Top for our Irwin 37 Dr. & Mrs. Michael Pawluk ASA 5 March 22nd 04 04:38 AM
Irwin 32 Bobsprit ASA 1 October 16th 03 01:22 AM
FS: 37' Irwin Ketch in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 August 12th 03 06:55 AM
FS: Irwin 23 "LIFO" with trailer EganMedia ASA 0 August 2nd 03 01:51 AM