Joe

Default 50 MPH sailing this weekend

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Unless you want to be blinded, I suggest a faceplate. No joke.

Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Top speed was 28 knots according to the knot meter. Was fun but you
almost need a special lake to get the most out of it. We had quite a
chop on the lake and the thing was prone to pourpose in anything over
2 foot. The tacking and jibeing was a blast, 2 g + turns quick as
lighting. It was like a ice boat I guess (never been on one) but it
was very flat ride and cut like a knife.
It was a great feeling when it lifted up off the water and blasted
off. Its a rich boys toy for sure. You would need a special lift to
store it, unless you wanted to go thru assembling it every time you
use it. If you had a lake house and a wide lift it would be a great
toy. If they come to your area sign up for a test sail.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

I sailed near one in the bay out here... sounded like a jet engine. The

guy
reached across the Gate in about 2 minutes, gybed, broke the connection
between the two sails, then came roaring back. I don't think he lost

much
speed on the way back. Awesome. I was doing 10 kts on my trimaran,
and he passed me like a jet fighter.

Be sure to wear the faceplate/helmet. You don't want to get hit with
spray.

Ive seen some Rave foils here on the lake but never a Hobie.
They sent a education video and I have to sign a waiver to sail it.

The wind has really been kickin up all week in the afternoons and i
hope on 20
kts steady with gusts to 25. Im going to bring along a C note and if
its blowing hard Im going to offer it up for an extra 15-30 min.

I looking forward to the "high G turns" they claim. 2 G turn on a
sailboat! and going to sail it on the upwind side of the lake close to
shore for smooth ride and Max speed. I just hope we have a squall with
30 + knot winds.

They require a helmet, nothing said about a face plate.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Thats what Im hoping to get to do.

Sunday I'm signed up to test sail a Hobie trifoiler.
They claim its the fastest production sailboat in the world.

I only get 30 min so please pray for strong winds at 13:30 in Texas.

If you have never seen one check out the video's at:

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_trifoiler.html

I can't wait! Just hope I do not have to sit with the salesman for to

long.
I can't afford one, but I will not let him know that:0)

Joe

Bobsprit

Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Great story...and not one pic of course. Somehow people here tell a lot of
stories...and rarely do they seem to own or know how to use a camera.
Hmmmmm. Good story, Joe. Even better if it's true.

RB
DSK

Joe wrote:
Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Top speed was 28 knots according to the knot meter.

Hmm, the times I have sailed that fast, the spray did kind of sting.

... Was fun but you
almost need a special lake to get the most out of it. We had quite a
chop on the lake and the thing was prone to pourpose in anything over
2 foot. The tacking and jibeing was a blast, 2 g + turns quick as
lighting. It was like a ice boat I guess (never been on one) but it
was very flat ride and cut like a knife.

I wonder if the control sensors for the foil were set up with properly.
This is one of the keys to getting a foil craft to work... it either
needs to have full range inherent stability, which adds drag, or have a
control system that responds proportionally to changes in pitch & heel.
The system used by the Hobie was worked out by a fellow named Ketterman.

It was a great feeling when it lifted up off the water and blasted
off. Its a rich boys toy for sure. You would need a special lift to
store it, unless you wanted to go thru assembling it every time you
use it. If you had a lake house and a wide lift it would be a great
toy. If they come to your area sign up for a test sail.

heh heh they claim it takes "15 minutes" to assemble and rig from the
trailer. Anyway, I would like to try sailing the Hobie Tri-Foiler. I've
heard a lot about them and would like to compare them to the Rave. It's
a shame they don't get together and have a shootout regatta.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Maxprop

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Great story...and not one pic of course. Somehow people here tell a lot of
stories...and rarely do they seem to own or know how to use a camera.
Hmmmmm. Good story, Joe. Even better if it's true.

RB

Hmmm. Pot, kettle, black.

Max

Bobsprit

Hmmm. Pot, kettle, black.

Max

Hmmmm. Max. Idiot. Dope.
I post pics on a regular basis.

RB
Maxprop

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Hmmm. Pot, kettle, black.

Max

Hmmmm. Max. Idiot. Dope.
I post pics on a regular basis.

RB

LOL. Morgan Fairchild hangs out on my boat with me. And she is naked. I
have photos, too.

Max

Bobsprit

Morgan Fairchild is about to turn 55. If that's not unsettling enough consider
that Stella Stevens is two years shy of 70.

RB
Joe

DSK wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:
Well John did not need the face plate or helmet, Got no were near 50
knots.

Top speed was 28 knots according to the knot meter.

Hmm, the times I have sailed that fast, the spray did kind of sting.

when up to that speed I was near the south shore to get out of the
chopp,
The front of the boat is very wide and spray misses you all together.

... Was fun but you
almost need a special lake to get the most out of it. We had quite a
chop on the lake and the thing was prone to pourpose in anything over
2 foot. The tacking and jibeing was a blast, 2 g + turns quick as
lighting. It was like a ice boat I guess (never been on one) but it
was very flat ride and cut like a knife.

I wonder if the control sensors for the foil were set up with properly.
This is one of the keys to getting a foil craft to work... it either
needs to have full range inherent stability, which adds drag, or have a
control system that responds proportionally to changes in pitch & heel.
The system used by the Hobie was worked out by a fellow named Ketterman.

Yelp Greg Ketterman. Same system used on his record setting boat. I
think it was set up right, just not capable of anything over 2 foot in
a chopp, if it was a 2 foot swell then it would be a problem, but the
lake was being ripped up by memorial weekend speedboaters.

It was a great feeling when it lifted up off the water and blasted
off. Its a rich boys toy for sure. You would need a special lift to
store it, unless you wanted to go thru assembling it every time you
use it. If you had a lake house and a wide lift it would be a great
toy. If they come to your area sign up for a test sail.

heh heh they claim it takes "15 minutes" to assemble and rig from the
trailer. Anyway, I would like to try sailing the Hobie Tri-Foiler. I've
heard a lot about them and would like to compare them to the Rave. It's
a shame they don't get together and have a shootout regatta.

The rave seems alot cheaper quality, but same principle. Was a used
one for sale here last year and the guy wanted 6.5K.

Both the rave and the Tri-foilers were ideals ripped off from a guy
that made the first one in the 80's.

Just wonder how long it will be before a BIG one is made to compete
with the big cats like clubmed.

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

DSK wrote in message news:m91vc.12$Ro6.

I wonder if the control sensors for the foil were set up with properly.
This is one of the keys to getting a foil craft to work... it either
needs to have full range inherent stability, which adds drag, or have a
control system that responds proportionally to changes in pitch & heel.
The system used by the Hobie was worked out by a fellow named Ketterman.

i went to say if it were a 2 foot swell it would not be a problem.

Next logical step will be computer controlled foils IMO.

joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King