katysails

Default 50 MPH sailing this weekend

Max claimed:
LOL. Morgan Fairchild hangs out on my boat with me. And she is naked. I
have photos, too.

WHATTT!?!?!? Last year it was Tyra Banks....you sure do get bored with
those glitzy ladies quickly....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

DSK

Joe wrote:
i went to say if it were a 2 foot swell it would not be a problem.

It could still be a problem if th econtrol system isn't adjusted properly.

Next logical step will be computer controlled foils IMO.

I don't know if a computer can do anything quicker or more accurately
than the torsion linkage. The possible improvement would be in reducing
drag, both from the sensors and from the accurate movement of the
control surface, eliminating control overshoot. That would require a
very fancy actuator. Might be easier to adjust such a system for
different size waves, and for ride height.

I heard a fair bit about the Hobie Tri-Foiler performance vs regular
beach cats. On reaches in flat water it's much faster, but around the
race course it's difficult to get an advantage, apparently. And starts
are hell.

These are the real deal
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/systems/dvic070.jpg

info here
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/systems/dvic070.htm

although that "speeds in excess of 40 knots" is a laugh. Them puppies
can run over 100.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

DSK wrote in message . ..
Joe wrote:
i went to say if it were a 2 foot swell it would not be a problem.

It could still be a problem if th econtrol system isn't adjusted properly.

Next logical step will be computer controlled foils IMO.

I don't know if a computer can do anything quicker or more accurately
than the torsion linkage. The possible improvement would be in reducing
drag, both from the sensors and from the accurate movement of the
control surface, eliminating control overshoot. That would require a
very fancy actuator.

Lots of fancy optical sensors out there that can read many things and
use very little voltage. Laser range finders might work well in
sensing depth of the foils to provide proper trim. These mechanical
sensors are stone age.

Joe