Mike Silva

Default Daysailer (not the class) opinions?

Having just moved to SW Florida I've been re-bitten by the sailing bug
(having last sailed as a teenager, long ago). I'm thinking about
getting some kind of daysailer (after refreshing my rusty skills).
I'd be looking for a boat to carry at least my family of 5, and
perhaps a guest or two. The kids are 7, 9 and 11. Safety is a
concern, but I'd also like something with a touch a thrills. I
discovered the Sonar, which looks like it might be a nice boat, but a
bit big and heavy and a pain to tow. I also discovered the
Highlander, and that boat intrigues me as well. Cheaper, too! Note
that at this point I haven't seen either of these boats in person...

Given my situation, does anybody have opinions on either of these
boats, or others? Many thanks!

Mike
DSK

Mike Silva wrote:
.... Safety is a
concern, but I'd also like something with a touch a thrills. I
discovered the Sonar, which looks like it might be a nice boat, but a
bit big and heavy and a pain to tow. I also discovered the
Highlander, and that boat intrigues me as well. Cheaper, too! Note
that at this point I haven't seen either of these boats in person...

Given my situation, does anybody have opinions on either of these
boats, or others? Many thanks!

The Sonar is a keel boat. In SW Florida you might find it a bit
cumbersome. But it's sporty and fun to sail.

The Highlander is one of my favorites among these type of boats. It's
fast and very roomy, among the most stable ballasted centerboarders, and
IMHO a handsome boat. The worst thing about trailering one is the
non-kick-up rudder, which can be improvised around.

There's approximately a gazillion different daysailers built in the 16'
~ 19' range. But this should help, check out this web site thoroughly
http://www.ruach.net/Dinghy.html

You might also consider a Flying Scot
http://www.fssa.com/

Daysailer (often called the O'Day Daysailer although it was designed by
Uffa Fox)
http://boonedocks.net/daysailer/

a Rhodes 19
http://www.rhodes19.org/

Buccaneer 18, a little tippy but fast & fun, probably roomy enough to
take a majority of the kids
http://www.buccaneer18.org/

Catalina and Precision both make small boats for daysailers, or you
might find it a good idea to get a boat with at least a small cabin for
getting out of the sun, rain, change clothes, porta-potty, etc etc.

Get out there and pound the pavement, there is no substitute for doing
your own legwork. A good boat is out there waiting for you!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Mike Silva

DSK wrote in message ...
Mike Silva wrote:
.... Safety is a
concern, but I'd also like something with a touch a thrills. I
discovered the Sonar, which looks like it might be a nice boat, but a
bit big and heavy and a pain to tow. I also discovered the
Highlander, and that boat intrigues me as well. Cheaper, too! Note
that at this point I haven't seen either of these boats in person...

Given my situation, does anybody have opinions on either of these
boats, or others? Many thanks!

The Sonar is a keel boat. In SW Florida you might find it a bit
cumbersome. But it's sporty and fun to sail.

The Highlander is one of my favorites among these type of boats. It's
fast and very roomy, among the most stable ballasted centerboarders, and
IMHO a handsome boat. The worst thing about trailering one is the
non-kick-up rudder, which can be improvised around.

Thanks for all your comments. The reason I mentioned both a keel boat
and a centerboarder is that I really, really don't want to end up
dumping my family in the water, and I'm not sure how far I want (or
need) to go to assure that. When I sailed as a teen the only times we
capsized is when we were pushing too hard, and I'd never do that on a
daysail. But that's no guarantee, right?

So, maybe a good question I need to ask is, is a bigger centerboard
boat (say 18-20 feet) a "safe enough" choice for daysailing with the
family? I would tend to think yes, but my experience doesn't really
allow me to answer the queston by myself.

Mike
DSK

Mike Silva wrote:
Thanks for all your comments. The reason I mentioned both a keel boat
and a centerboarder is that I really, really don't want to end up
dumping my family in the water, and I'm not sure how far I want (or
need) to go to assure that. When I sailed as a teen the only times we
capsized is when we were pushing too hard, and I'd never do that on a
daysail. But that's no guarantee, right?

Not really... are you near a sailing club? That would be the best way to
get started again IMHO. Learn about local conditions while refreshing
your sailing, and get a chance to check out several different type boats.

So, maybe a good question I need to ask is, is a bigger centerboard
boat (say 18-20 feet) a "safe enough" choice for daysailing with the
family? I would tend to think yes, but my experience doesn't really
allow me to answer the queston by myself.

Given reasonable skills and reasonable circumstances, sure. No prob. The
question is what happens when a T-storm rips thorugh while you're out
for a sail on an otherwise-nice day. Or something... because Murphy was
an optimist!

You might also consider a boat like this...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...39014035lhmlmJ

Loses something in cockpit space & in performance (the boat pictured
will keep up with a Flying Scot most of the time, but not a Buccaneer or
Highlander), but you get more reserve stability (which is the ability to
come back from large angles of heel, as opposed to initial stability in
the normal range of sailing attitudes) and some shelter, some privacy, a
place for the kids to nap or play, etc etc. We found it to be very handy
for family daysails.

Another option is to go smaller... get a boat that is no problem to
capsize & recover. Might be more fun for the kids.

Hope this helps

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Navigator

DSK wrote:

Given reasonable skills and reasonable circumstances, sure. No prob. The
question is what happens when a T-storm rips thorugh while you're out
for a sail on an otherwise-nice day. Or something... because Murphy was
an optimist!

I though Murphy sailed an Optimist?

Cheers

DSK

Navigator wrote:
I though Murphy sailed an Optimist?

yeah, but that was when he was a kid.

DSK

Navigator

Now he's grown up he's got a Farr?

Cheers

DSK wrote:

Navigator wrote:

I though Murphy sailed an Optimist?

yeah, but that was when he was a kid.

DSK

Thom Stewart

Mike,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Thistle. A roomy, open boat.
Great sailor.
Best of all, it has a very active family program. Family outing with
Racing at all levels. BBQ and Clam bakes for Shore attivities and a
strong Assoc which has kept the boat Family oriented.

Ole Thom

Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
Any ready-reservists here? Gould 0738 General 30 July 5th 04 03:37 AM
Q: Argonaut Class Skiff? Earl Boebert Boat Building 0 June 25th 04 06:03 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Looking to Paddle 7-13 or 7-14 in South WV near Pipestem Class III-V Ben Schlesinger General 0 July 10th 03 07:13 PM