Scott Vernon

Default Motoring your vessel underway is part of sailing

Who wrote that? A MacGregor 26X owner?

Walt

Scott Vernon wrote:

Who wrote that? A MacGregor 26X owner?

Well, getting out of the marina under motor power is a necessary skill
for people who keep their boats in marinas. Likewise, effectively
trailering a boat is a necessary skill for those who keep their boats
on trailers (and backing up a trailer is one of the more difficult
skills one has to master as a trailer sailor, IMHO).

But let's not confuse either with actually sailing. They're just
necessary chores that make sailing possible. Otherwise, you might
think you're sailing when you're only pumping out the head...

--
// Walt
//

Bobsprit

Who wrote that? A MacGregor 26X owner?

Colgate book of sailing, boat handling section in Chapman's. Sailors use their
motors as everyone here pointed out, dumbass, so it's part of sailing. For you,
sailing is part of motoring.

RB
EdGordonRN

We have deliberatly not put a motor on our 15 ft'er. That limits us to two and
sometimes a third boat launch in an area that has many public harbors. We love
our boat the way it is (it's a Hunter 146). It sails wonderfully. And we like
the idea that we aren't contributing to air and water pollution when we use it.
I think we're the only people in this area who know how to leave and return to
a dock under sail.