Joe

Default Proof of Darwins theories...

"Donal" wrote in message ...
"N1EE" wrote in message
om...
I hope he didn't pass on his genes.

This is not your typical California sailor.

http://www.soundingsonline.com/stories.html?story=2

Guernsey was STUPID and INEPT when he Redondo
Beach, Calif., last Oct. 8 without a life raft,
without a survival suit, without an EPIRB,
without a single sideband radio, without a
satellite phone. His only communications gear
was a VHF radio.

Oh for God's sake!

He knew the risks. He didn't take an EPIRB because he didn't want to place
rescuers' lives at risk.

I salute the man. He died doing what he loved - sailing.

He wasn't stupid, or inept. He made his choices. If I die at sea, I don't
want anybody to complain about the "system".

Regards

Donal
--

I agree Donal, Looks like he's done many other long distance solo
trips.

I wouldent give him up for dead just yet. Many have lived over 90 day
adrift in a raft, perhaps he's been dismasted and is still adrift.

Joe

Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
Joe, whatever happened to that guy down your way, that faked his death on a
power boat?

They found him up in N Texas, Had a bunch of steriods with him ect...
Last I heard his bail was 200K and no one would post it for him, guess
his girlfriends took off with all the money. Since his crime
paperwork, ie the crane company that he leased the same crane to 3 or
4 companies at the same time was based there they extridited him,
because it was a more serious crime.

He's gonna spend 10+ years in the big house.

What an Idiot, 12 million in his pocket and he runs to N Texas and
starts bragging around the town about what he did. Someone just
dropped a dime on him.

So many of the locals here spent mucho money and several days
searching for his body that Im sure he will never come back here. Plus
several investors around this area want to take thier losses out of
his hide. One guy I meet lost his 3 million dollar lakefront house.
The local cop said when he was evicted by the bank he took everything
in the house that was not seriously bolted down, cealing fans,
lightbulbs ect. Thats gotta suck to go from 5K+SQ foot waterfront
house with infinty pool and waterfall steps to having to steal
lightbulbs for the apartment your going to move into.

These cigar boat guys are a hoot, most of the big scarabs and
fountains here change hands every year. First thing they buy when they
make a few million and the first thing to go when they find out that
the first few million was just a fluke, or when the inhertiance runs
out faster than they thought possiable.

We had another criminal get locked up here. He was embezling money
from his company to the ture of 400K puls before they caught on. He
was living on his bosses yacht here in the marina. The boss/owner came
down here with the cops and a tow truck for the new viper car the guy
bought. He got 5 years.

No telling whats going to happen this summer. Always something.

Remember the lady that ran her husband over and over in the Hilton
parking lot?
That was just down the street, Terry and I were sailing the dink when
it just happened and we saw all the police lights and sailed up to see
what happened.

Joe

The FBI is still trying to find out who helped him stage his boat
wreck. If they find out then they will be cell buddies. He's the type
that Im sure will spill the beans.

Joe

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Donal" wrote in message

"N1EE" wrote in message
[...]

Matt Colie

I disagree.

If you think carrying all that stuff is going to help you, remember the
Canadian Gerry Roufs. He had a purpose designed 60' boat with that much
stuff and more on board (read the required equipment list for Vendee
Globe). He even had a full time satellite data link, and all anyone can
tell you is the Lat/Long when it stopped reporting.

Frank Gursey was obviously a seriously capable sailor (given just the
resume in the Soundings article), and he was living his dream.

I happen to have quite a few friends and acquaintances that have gone
missing on the water, some one or two at a time and then 29 at once with
a 729 steel hull for a coffin. They didn’t get a call out either. I
never heard anyone call Ernie McSorley stupid.

Do I feel sorry for Mary Gursey? Yes, I do. Mostly because it takes up
so much of your life energy to give up the hope that he will make port.
As for Frank, I envy him.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Marine and
Perpetual (I can only hope) Sailor

N1EE wrote:
I hope he didn't pass on his genes.

This is not your typical California sailor.

http://www.soundingsonline.com/stories.html?story=2

Guernsey was STUPID and INEPT when he Redondo
Beach, Calif., last Oct. 8 without a life raft,
without a survival suit, without an EPIRB,
without a single sideband radio, without a
satellite phone. His only communications gear
was a VHF radio.

I suspect he had too mucy fun in the 1970's.
I'm sure he was well supplied with drugs since
he left his brain in California.

I'd like to think he was not this stupid, and
that he just lied to his wife and is living
in the South Pacific with a new wife.

Bart