JAXAshby

Default Gulf Stream view

http://www.deos.tudelft.nl/altim/gulfstream/
DSK

OzOne wrote:
A pitiful jumble when compared to the great Oz currents which we have
at our disposal
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsF...eac_scemlg.gif
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsFolder/eac/
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsF...leuwin/44.html

I like the curley-Q one headed for NZ from the lower Bass Strait.

Thanks for the links, it is very interesting reading. One of the clues
to global warming is the changes in ocean currents but so far I haven't
seen anything conclusive on this. The reversing of the Capes Current and
Leeuwin Current might be one place to spot this.

DSK

JAXAshby

yeah, BUT *our* Gulf Steam has kept Europe warm enough to inhabit for going on
10,000 years now. :-)

A pitiful jumble when compared to the great Oz currents which we have
at our disposal
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsF...eac_scemlg.gif
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsFolder/eac/
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsF...leuwin/44.html

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Horvath

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:19:10 +1100, OzOne wrote this crap:

And ours alows us to grow babanas in the middle of winter ;-)

Babanas?

DSK

OzOne wrote:
And ours alows us to grow babanas in the middle of winter ;-)

Babanas?

I picture the "babana" as tropical fruit similar to a banana, except
that it grows upside down...

DSK

Matt Colie

Wow,

I guess it isn't a "stream".

People though Chic Larken (The Navigator)was a little off in 1966 when
he suggested that we go a little farther east than the rhum line because
he had gotten data from a survey ship that indicated there might be a
northern meander that we could ride south. We set up a thermocouple
down one of the cockpit scuppers and checked the water temperature
regularly. When the temperature jumped up, he (Mr. Larken) started
navigating like a man possesed. There was the Consolan station on
Nantuket and some other good RDF on the coast farther south that he kept
crossing until he was sure we were in a southbound flow. We won.

Loran was available but not legal for racing at that time so few boat
carried the weight.

That was TV Learson's new CAl 40 "Thunderbird"

Matt Colie

JAXAshby wrote:
http://www.deos.tudelft.nl/altim/gulfstream/

Martin Baxter

Matt Colie wrote:
Wow, There was the Consolan station on
Nantuket and some other good RDF on the coast farther south that he kept
crossing until he was sure we were in a southbound flow.

You used RDF? Damn lucky you didn't fetch up on a granite ledge
off the coast of Maine!

Cheers
Marty

Matt Colie

Not much risk there that day. A days sail south of Newport, the ledges
are a long ways away. Real navigators from the end of WWII until
recently (in my terms) knew how to work radio. That is if it worked at
all, because until the transistor were available in the early sixties,
the reliability was not an issue, it was non-exsistent for small boats.

Those were more patient days. Down east required even more. To do
things like hang off until you could actually see the harbor entrance.

I still love telling people about the fog they grow there such that you
can still see the truck just fine, but not the bow and you may even see
masts around you - but no boats.

A friend and fellow sailor almost as long as I were laughing ourselves
silly because I much younger person came along and said something about
this friend's Garmin 45 because it was not nearly accurate enough for
him to trust to make hie slip. This started us into an evening of
seastories about being exactly where you though you were or no where
near at all.

Life was different then. The ledges were there, but the people that
ventured among them didn't expect others to take care of them. These
were the people that taught me, they are gone.

Matt Colie - see prior sig

Martin Baxter wrote:

Matt Colie wrote:

Wow, There was the Consolan station on Nantuket and some other good
RDF on the coast farther south that he kept crossing until he was sure
we were in a southbound flow.

You used RDF? Damn lucky you didn't fetch up on a granite ledge
off the coast of Maine!

Cheers
Marty

John Cairns

"JAXAshby" backpedaling furiously wrote
Matt, you sound like a sailor people are glad to know. Good on ya.

Not what you posted a month or so ago.

"mattie, squathead, you too are just too frikken stew ped (two words) to
catch
the irony of the statement made to Racko-Nos Pam. The waves off Glen Cove
would be hard pressed to go much above 3-1/3 feet (fetch is too little),
even
though the winds were 42 sustained, gusting to 50+."

The other thing.

"mattie dum-dum squathead, racko-nos was claiming to have a longer dick than
anyone here"

Wasn't claiming to have a bigger dick than anyone here, but, since we're on
the subject, I probably do have a bigger dick than you, but that isn't
saying much, I'm sure everyone here has a bigger dick than you.

You should see a doctor about the memory loss, it could be a symptom of a
more serious condition, OTOH, it's probably just a symptom of your advanced
age.
John Cairns

Gulf Stream Myths and Worse anchorlt Cruising 30 March 24th 04 03:32 AM
Houseboat cruising accross the gulf stream Quest0029 Cruising 0 March 14th 04 02:29 AM
Can We STOP IT??? Bobsprit ASA 5 November 21st 03 11:59 AM
Need help identifying boat: Gulf Stream XL25? Fred Kent General 0 July 18th 03 01:48 AM
Need help identifying boat: Gulf Stream XL25? Fred Kent General 0 July 18th 03 01:39 AM