Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bobsprit

Default As my way of saying goodbye....

On 9/11 Howard Stern was one of the few broadcasters, outside of the news
media, to stay on the air while members of his own staff evacuated the
building. He did this at the request of several senators and officials.
Throughout the 9/11 tragedy, which has NOT ended, he was a voice of reason,
rage and confusion. In short, he echoed what much of us felt.
I've heard Stern do a lot of bits and sketches that were offensive, funny, mean
spirited and plain disgusting. But If I didn't like something I'd simply tune
the dial elsewhere. He's not on at a time when children can listen and parents
should control this anyway. His humor is generally "adult" and his politics
liberal. If the "religious wrong" manages to get him shut down, he'll be missed
by many, myself included. He's the polar opposite of Rush, Cousin Brucie and a
long list of conservative bland broadcasting that provokes compliance and
conformity rather than independent thought.
When a whole country is "shocked" by a woman's exposed breast, you know things
have gone too far. Other countries, with far more liberal media (and far fewer
sexual assault cases) have learned that this sort of suppression is unhealthy.
Once again, the U.S.A. is a laughing stock, looking as religiously dangerous
and radical as members of God's Army.
I'm convinced that Stern will find another venue for his material and politics,
but everyone who likes the novel idea of free speech should be writing letters
to the FCC and congress. I'm asking you to NOT lie back and expect intelligence
and freedom to prevail. There are people who want to systematically strip away
your rights by way of legally limiting your choices...while still calling it
freedom. "They" can't sleep at night because they are worried what you will do
with your own body and mind. "They" can't rest because they are worried about
who your sexual partner is. And "They" certainly can't live their own lives
when a voice like Stern's approves of gay marriage, abortion, civil rights
while openly satirizing the religious right.
Get mad, folks. Take action. Write a letter. Don't let these ****ing moronic
maniacs tell you how to breath, then try to tax it!

Again, enjoy your season of sailing.

Capt. Robert B
NY

I took the new owners of my boat on a cruise today and said goodbye to her jim-- General 2 May 8th 04 01:27 PM
A Bobsprit-Like Goodbye two wheels ASA 4 December 21st 03 05:25 PM
Marine business opportunity, and goodbye Willard Gould 0738 General 2 November 29th 03 01:49 AM
Goodbye, Norton Bobsprit ASA 0 November 12th 03 02:01 PM
I said GOODBYE Bobsprit ASA 3 October 3rd 03 10:02 PM