Jeff Morris

Default offshore santana 525

So I'm curious. The recent sinking in San Francisco was a Merit 30. It seems
rather unacceptable that a 30 foot boat could be rolled and sunk in a few
minutes. Of course, they did apparently get inside the surf line, but still it
didn't speak well of the boat.

Is the Merit 25 more seaworthy than the Santana?

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Merit 25, Merit 25, Merit 25.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

SAIL LOCO

So I'm curious. The recent sinking in San Francisco was a Merit 30. It
seems
rather unacceptable that a 30 foot boat could be rolled and sunk in a few
minutes. Of course, they did apparently get inside the surf line, but still it
didn't speak well of the boat.

Is the Merit 25 more seaworthy than the Santana?

I would like to see the story on that sinking since as far as I know Merit
never made a 30. Plus you say a it's unacceptable for a boat inside a surf
line to get rolled? Get real!
Merit made around 1200 25s which by the way were the only 3+ time winner
of the MORC Internationals. They made 650+ 22s. They also made a winged keel
version of the 22 which they called a 23. They made 2 or 3 28s which were
designed by NM and were screamers almost winning the Internationals out of the
box with a private owner.
I would say the 25 is pretty seaworthy. They have been singlehanded to
Hawaii more than once. The Merit 25 is a great boat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Jeff Morris

Sorry, it was a Newport 30, not a Merit. Here's a report from the owner, the
father of helmsman who was lost:

Yes, it was my Newport 30 that was lost off San Francisco.
It was just purchased in Marina Del Ray in January. Hull #CPY 420.
It was the boat which I had seen posted on this site as being for sale on
Ebay!
I had purchased the boat in Marina del Ray, sailed it for a week in January
and left it in Santa Barbara.
Myself, my son Erik and a friend, Brad went back down Feb 13 to Santa
Barbara and were sailing up to San Francisco when the accident happened. My
son has not been found. Most of the newspaper articles are totally
inaccurate and should be read with a large grain of salt. There were no
helicopters involved, the winds are exagerated, and many more inaccuracies.
The subject is difficult to talk about at this time, but if you would like
to debate something worthwhile it might be whether to wear the harness or
floatation devices, in what scenario or when?
My son was at the helm and was wearing the harness and tether was our
practice all the way up the coast. Brad was wearing a Mustang floater coat
and I was not wearing either. I was the one who should not be here today.
The tether is likely to have been the cause of my son's death, as it seems
he was not able to release himself from the boat when it went down. Only
speculation is posible why not, but no definitive answers. The boat to my
best guess went down in aprox. 45 secs. the waves were 15 seconds apart and
we got hit broadside by 3 when Brad and I were washed overboard. My son was
still aboard the boat at this time, and I saw one more wave coming at the
boat then. The boat was never seen again. I beleive the safety harness
dragged Erik down with the boat.
The Latitude38 article is the most inacurate piece of slop I have seen on
the accident and they really should try getting some facts before printing
articles which people might be tempted to believe.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
[...]

SAIL LOCO

http://www.well.com/user/pk/M25.html
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
DSK

"Richard Randall" wrote...
My concerns a because I live on the NE coast my ideal cruising
ground is the Atlantic coast day sailing and making port-to-port
recreational trips. But I really want a boat I can also race if want.
I want to do the Figawi in 2005 and the notice of race said a boat of
any length can enter so long as its PHRF rating is under 200. Even
for day sailing I still want a boat that can point and is fun to
actively sail.

Totally makes sense to me. Keep in mind that coastal cruising in New England can
mean anything from flat calm to fog to tidal races thru big rocks, hurricanes,
etc etc. A certain amount of knowledge & prudence is a prerequisite, and the
more skillful the skipper the less bulletproof the boat need be.

I don't really have a need for standing head room or TV
and VCR. The only sailing I realy ever done is racing so I'm used to
spartan interiors and peeing in a bucket. I would like to be able to
single hand it. A guy wants to sell me his 525, including a trailer,
basic sail inventory (5 total), motor, spin gear, for $2000 and the
boat looks pretty good

Donal wrote:
It sounds like you have found your perfect boat. If you are confident about
its condition, then you should buy it - before somebody else does!

Agreed... I hate to be a cynic but it must be considered that the reason this
guy wants to sell it to you for $2K is that he really couldn't get that for it
on the open market. I'd be enthusiastic but very very thorough in checking out
the boat. Remember the nuclear treaty motto... "Trust, but verify."

It's a tall order finding a boat that rates under 200 for less than 6K. Taking a
quick peek at the boat market, I saw an Evelyn 24 in Freeport Me; a Capri 25 in
Florida (not sure that would do you any good); a 24' S2 (doesn't say which
model, apparently a fin keel) in NY;

Or you might consider a trailerable pocket rocket. This thing is a real sleeper,
a friend of mine has one.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...ityid=11600481

I've seen this same boat sailing, it's a pretty good deal. Doesn't look like it
has much cabin space, though
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...ityid=11682431

I also saw a couple of J-24s but in this price range they're almost certain to
be beaters & fixer-uppers that would cost you double the purchase (or more) to
actually get in racing condition. This is an issue to keep in mind, even racing
a small centerboard one-design costs. If you are struggling to afford the boat,
will you be able to afford the upkeep?

A boat that jumped to mind was the Morgan 27, which is a late 1970s MORC racer
that makes a nice weekender/cruiser; but didn't see a listing for one. Get out
there and beat the bushes.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

If the inteior bulkhead are firm and well connected, it looks like you
got a boat.

Drill a hole in that damn sliding door and pin it open or shut.

Happy sailing