Jeff Morris

Default Navigation Question

Since DR is defined as determining one's position by projecting course and
speed, its a little hard to see how an effective DR is maintained without a
compass. I suppose you could call the navigation employed by the Vikings and
other Artic travelers, or the Polynesian voyagers "DR without a compass" but I
would call it a different style of navigating, not DR as defined by Bowditch.

You can make a slightly better case that piloting doesn't require a compass,
since there are some piloting techniques that don't use one.

"DD730" wrote in message
y.com...
The use of a compass is neither necessary nor sufficient to DR and/or
Piloting.
But it can help.

Jeff Morris wrote:
I would think a compass is implied by DR and Piloting. Is there some
other use you're thinking of?

"DD730" wrote in message
y.com...
Compass

Joe wrote:
(Suzy Brody) wrote in message
. com...
Bill, this is a pointless comment and it adds nothing to this
topic.

Suzy

Thanks Suzy,

And since your new here I give you a few answers and see if
you can guess a few others....OK

1. GPS
2. Loran
3. DR
4. celestial
5. Radio Direction

Anyone feel free to ad to the list.

Joe

JAXAshby

Default Lifelines Part II

even more obviously, dougies cared.

obviously, you're too stupid to realize that no one give a crap
what you think.

obviously NOT a dumb squat like you.

From: "DD730"
Date: 2/22/2004 6:27 PM Eastern Standard Time

Who gives a sh&*?

JAXAshby wrote:
dougies, are you aware that Bob publicly asked for my technical
opinion?

dougies, are you aware that "sophist" and "pig" are synonyms?

No, thanks for pointing that out.

Everybody (incuding Bob Perry) already knows what JAXAshby is a
synonym for.

DSK

Donal

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
dougies, are you aware that Bob publicly asked for my technical opinion?

Jax (toilet!!),

Were you stupid enough to think that all yacht racing required lifelines?

Do a Google on "J Class Racing".

The finest racing yachts on the ocean sail without lifelines. In fact, no
self respecting J Class yachtsman would be seen dead on a boat with
lifelines.

Here's a photo that was taken a couple of years ago. This yacht was racing
when the picture was taken. You may notice that this boat doesn't have any
sissy lifelines.

http://www.lanode.com/priv/amcup/id29.htm

Once again, Jax, you prove that you are a complete twit.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
"Aye" in my spelling rhymes with "hey" in my pronounciation.

Cripes! You can't write any better than you can read!!!!

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd

G I'll just interject one thought he
The terms "piloting" and "DR navigation" are like the term "Fwd Spring"
..... what they mean to one person, is not what they mean to another.
Neither person is wrong, but both are not exclusively correct.
What's important to remember is how the particular person is using the term.

otn

Thom Stewart

Joe,

You left out the most often used Nav system in use;

LOCAL KNOWLEDGE

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

This Ole Fart is keeping up with you. In fact just about a "FULL MARK""
ahead of you.

Is you would go back and re-read my post, you would see that I have the
Col 20
Listed as a racing boat that doesn't use lifelines. Also listed are many
class racers that don't require "Lifelines" Why haven't you replied to
the old fart about them.

I guess we can File Jax's knowledge of racing requirements along with
his knowledge of the "Gulf Stream" location. Fuel use of small diesels
and Lifelines-----

Oh well; As the old saying goes; "It's a GREAT THING TO LOSE A CLOSED
MIND!!" Right Jax? You are now excused from the discussion until Nutsy
gives you, Susy, Bill and himself the line to follow. You all have been
BUSTED from the original topic; "LIFELINE HEIGHT!"

Ole Thom
With smarter farts than Jax's replies

Jeff Morris

"Piloting" includes a variety of techniques, but I've only heard one definition
of "DR." Some people do include factoring in currents, leeway, etc as part of
DR, but anyone who was formally trained (in the US, at least) would plot that as
"EP," not "DR."

nk.net...