JAXAshby

Default Navigation Question... Jax's expertise on naval history

laughing? At what? IIRC, the German sub in the Potomac is still shown on NOAA
charts as an obstruction, while the brave, brace CG brags about their sole kill
-- a German submarine in LIS -- in WWII to prove how couregeous they were.
Certainly, the submarine firing on Seattle is well known.

So, dougies, are the guys on the shop floor you mention on drugs or were they
hired because they are even dumber than you?

Jax you owe me some workmen's comp, two people here in the shop just
fell on the floor and busted their guts laughing.

DSK

Donal

Default Lifelines Part II

wrote in message

Thom, Your senile dementia is being accelerated by all that alcohol.
I'm not Nutsy or Jax. Please get yourself some help. Really.

You *do* sound very like Bob.

You are offensive, stupid and childish. Why would any sane person want to
portray himself in this light?

Perhaps you are just not very original??

Regards

Donal

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
laughing? At what?

At you, Jax. Yes, we are laughing AT you, not with you.

.... IIRC, the German sub in the Potomac is still shown on NOAA
charts as an obstruction,

I'm sure there are many charted obstructions in the Potomac River, but
I'm also sure that none of them are sunk German subs.

...while the brave, brace CG brags about their sole kill
-- a German submarine in LIS -- in WWII to prove how couregeous they were.

This is BS because the USCG sank a sub near Cape Lookout NC. German subs
sank a bunch of ships off the NC coast. Unlike LIS there was a lot of
commercial shipping at that point. What would a German sub do in LIS,
sink a ferry? Or maybe Pearson 30?

BTW do you honestly think that insulting the Coast Guard makes your
claims more believable?

Certainly, the submarine firing on Seattle is well known.

In that case, you should be easily able to find a reference to it.

So, dougies, are the guys on the shop floor you mention on drugs or were they
hired because they are even dumber than you?

Well, they darn sure would not have been hired if they were stupid
enough to believe your nonsense.

Another classic Jax moment.

JAXAshby

dougies, you are beginning to catch old thom's alcohol vapors and you clearly
showing the progressing dementia coming from it.

geesh, dude. join AA or something.

[...]

JAXAshby

Default Navigation Question

it is rather sad that you are so "afflicted" as Bob Perry aptly
described you.

well, felton, and just how many times has Bob Perry asked *you* for technical
advice, eh?

felton, you are too dumb to hold a meaningful discussion with. You sound like
someone who will go catatonic and hide in corner when the waves start to
approach white caps and the winds approach 12 knots.
DSK

JAXAshby wrote:
dougies, you are beginning to catch old thom's alcohol vapors and you clearly
showing the progressing dementia coming from it.

geesh, dude. join AA or something.

Jax, your statements on German and Japanese submarines are ludicrous.
Now you have nothing but insults to fall back on, and you can't even do
that very well.

Maybe you saw U-boats in Long Island Sound when you were out searching
for the Gulf Stream? Oh well, if you can't have a real life, you can at
least have entertaining fantasies!

DSK

Thom Stewart

Nutsy, & Bill and Susy,

After that posting about your marriage and problems with the 'Net, which
by the way was excellent. You describe Susy's and her family's dicuss
with their discovery of your past. It is what the group has been saying
for years. If true and not like the Catalina Purchase, then why in the
hell is Susy now POSTING;

It may be true, for all we know,

Your story sounds quite queer.

We hate like hell to doubt your word,

But it sounds like like Bull **** here!!

Ole Thom

otnmbrd

Although I can't speak for the years prior to the 1960's, no self
respecting navigator I knew after that time would use any AM radio
station for navigation, unless all else failed.
Two major problems .... the signal could be "bent" traveling over land,
then water (hence the reason most marine RDF stations were at
lighthouses, or close to the shore) and the locations of the radio
towers for AM stations were not always on the charts in use or denoted
(I don't have a 117 here to see if some may have been listed).
Also, I'm not sure, but I think the calibration error on the particular
Shipboard RDF, was done for the relatively narrow band used by RDF
stations (not necessarily true throughout the history of RDF).

otn

JAXAshby wrote:
I was writing of your plain vanilla AM radio stations, such as KRLA, KSTP,
WCCO, WABC, etc. Marine RDF stations were stations operated (by I believe in
the US by the CG and FAA) specifically for ships at sea and later aircraft.
Best of my knowledge marine RDF stations operated in th same frequency range as
commercial AM radio stations.

Are you talking about radio stations such as ABC in New York, or Marine
Radio Beacons?
Marine Radio Beacons are a different animal, though agreeably obsolete.
However, they are still (RDF) to be found on ships.

otn

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
So, do you think the radio stations also did that during WWII? I'd hate to
think that there were German subs getting lost at Coney Island!

I don't know if radio regs changed in WWII, but if they did if probably would
not have been because of German submarines. Radio waves don't penetrate water
more than about two inches. I do know at least one German sub was sunk in the
Potomac and one or many more in Long Island Sound. I don't know that any
German subs fired on the US mainland. Do know that at least one Japanese sub
fired on Seattle, with little damage.

ROFLMAO Where do you find this stuff?

otn