JAXAshby

Default Navigation Question

To trianglate off distance features is DR'n IMHO.

that's "piloting", not DR.
Jeff Morris

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

How about:
Depth Sounder
Bottom from lead line

Bottom mavigation is indeed another way to navigate.

One of my favorites since it serves as a reality check on other methods.

Sound from fog horns & bell/gong buoys.

Good one but very restrictive!

Fortunately I don't have to use this much anymore!

Also, "DR" doesn't include Piloting, or using local geographic features.

I dissagree. To trianglate off distance features is DR'n IMHO.

Nah. In any definition I've heard of Dead Reckoning is that it specifically
does not include piloting techniques that would yield a "fix." DR is what you
do between fixes.

For reference, see:
http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs...s.html?rid=187

Chapter 1 begins with a brief discussion of the difference between various types
of navigation; Chapters 7 and 8 discuss DR and Piloting respectively.

-jeff

Thom Stewart

Default Lifelines Part II

Nutsy (BB)

If you can post the AA site, it shouldn't be a problem to post the
manufactures site showing a 20hp diesel using 1 gal/hr

A Troll is a Troll even if it under the name of a puppet. Right Nutsy?
Even a drunk knows that. It is only the stupid and weak minded that
think otherwise

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

Ole Thom

Bobsprit

If you can post the AA site, it shouldn't be a problem to post the
manufactures site showing a 20hp diesel using 1 gal/hr

Who are you talking to?

RB
JAXAshby

old thom is talking to pink elephants.

If you can post the AA site, it shouldn't be a problem to post the
manufactures site showing a 20hp diesel using 1 gal/hr

ot is so smashed he didn't even notice that the site was quoted.

Who are you talking to?

RB

Jonathan Ganz

He's full of **** Alan, but it would be interesting to catch him in a
blatant
lie.

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
So you are saying that lifelines are required equipment for Cal 20 class
racing on the East Coast? I just want to confirm what the claim is before

check it out.

--AG

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
they are required on this end of the world.

with about 5 or 6 C20s in various stages of
renovation--no lifelines on those, either.

DSK

JAXAshby wrote:

no, "celestial" as the term is used means to use an accurate timepiece. Lunar
distances needs no timepiece at all, let alone an accurate one.

Sorry, Jax... wrong again. You should be proud of your perfect record.

"Celestial" navigation means to use "celestial" bodies. And the lunar
distance is a method of telling time, making the "celestial" bodies
themselves a timepiece. So you are doubly wrong. Your mom would be so proud!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

otnmbrd

Joe wrote:
DSK wrote in message news:

I'm not sure if 'piloting' is a seperate method for this list, but
navigating near shore using fixed landmarks is a good method to know.

Isnt that DR?

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I would consider piloting a separate method, but for me it would
involve use of visual bearings, soundings, radar range and bearings,
special cases.
This does not fall under "DR".
Did someone mention DECCA, and is it still in use?

otn

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
no, "celestial" as the term is used means to use an accurate timepiece. Lunar
distances needs no timepiece at all, let alone an accurate one.

6. Lunar Distances

Sorry Mensa boy. Most would consider Lunar distances as celestial,
since the moon is a celistial body ya know. Same with a sun line, star
fix ect.

Joe

Sorry Jax, but "celestial" is "of the heavens; of the sky" by observing
the sun, moon, planets, stars. Lunar distances fall into this category,
and a timepiece is NOT the major sticking point.
Celestial navigation was around long before an accurate sea going
timepiece was invented.

otn

DSK

otnmbrd wrote:
Did someone mention DECCA, and is it still in use?

Ah! Thanks for the memory jolt. I couldn't think of the name of it,
although I did come up with Omega from the murky depths. Omega has been
gone a while, I think the only Decca chain is still active in the North
Sea oil fields but is closing up shop in the near future.

DSK