Bobsprit

Default Whale Rider

No, this isn't a movie about riding Scotty's wife...

It's the tender story of a young Maori girl trying to prove that she can be a
leader as her tribe faces a test of strength. Probably the worst failing of
this film is it's lack of texture. While beautifully shot, the lack of intimacy
between camera and settings lead to a postcard view of the territory.
Ultimately it lacks the hands-on feel achieved by a film like The Shipping News
or even the 70's White Dawn.
Another great misstep is the partially synthesized score that meanders through
much of the film, rendering an afterschool special feel to some key moments and
making the whole affair overwrought.
The qualities of Whale Rider are more in the performances than the writing or
story. The background of the people and culture is highly superficial. A deeper
exploration of their world would have led to a more charged drama. Finally, the
editing fails to serve the movie as a whole, undermining some key scenes with a
pronounced lack of timing, both in the whale riding and stick-fight sequences.
Still, this is a worthy Oscar entry and a notable effort that departs from the
current oil slick of movies currently in release. The Captain's rating ***

Capt RB
Jonathan Ganz

Ummm... this has been out for a long time. I think you can put away the
Crying
Game now. There are other movies.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

***

Capt RB

The Carrolls

You just getting around to seeing this? We saw it early fall I think at the
Michigan in Ann Arbor. One of the best independant or mainstream films this
year. Your criticisms are a little overwrought when one looks at the budget
and location of the company. How you can say a lack of intimacy I don't
understand, I felt transported. I lived there, as a fly within their culture
and got insight to a life and region I have never experienced.
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

Bobsprit

How you can say a lack of intimacy I don't
understand, I felt transported. I lived there, as a fly within their culture
and got insight to a life and region I have never experienced.

Have a look (if you haven't already) at the incredible Once Were Warriors,
about the same people with far more texture offered by this film. This movie
had essentially the same plot and cliches as The Next Karate Kid for Bend it
like Beckem.
Anyway...it's all subjective and I don't feel Whale Rider is a "bad" movie,
just not as good as some reviews make out.

RB