DSK

Default 2 questions for Doug.

Scout wrote:
Perhaps this is a case of a simple miscommunication due to divergent uses of
the language!

Possibly, but to me it looks more like maliciousness and envy on
Navvie's part...

Once, my friend in Sydney called to say he was "****ed" and I replied, "Why?
What have I done to make you angry?"
He laughed and explained that at his end, "****ed" means drunk. Imagine my
relief!
I read you both to be honorable and knowledgeable gentlemen and I have
complete faith that this will end well!

In order to find any knowledgable and useful sailing related input from
MC, you'd have to go back a few years.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

MC wrote:
..... ignoring
the data I posted which shows clearly that I won.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you post any data that even met the conditions of the
bet, much less won?

Here's what happened as I see it.

1- I offered a comment on a small boat that I like

2- You ridiculed the boat and my statement

3- I said "Name something better" and gave some pretty specific
conditions, including size of the boat

4- You offered info on 3 or 4 boats which were neither better in the
specific named characteristics, and were very much larger anyway

5- when I said, "I've won" you retreated to insults and then silence.
Frankly I'm a little surprised you bring it up, considering that you've
made some ridiculous claims.

...Was that another thinly vieled threat?

Of course not. It was a rather simple question. Are you so paranoid that
you see threats in everything?

... If it was, should
the group start to call you "Doug the cur"?

What with this "the group," have you got a mouse in your pocket? As
Scout inferred, I consider most of the regular posters here as friends.
Some of them I have been in contact with in the real world, and are
great folks. Then there's a few stains on the carpet... that's why this
newsgroup is kind of like in a comfy living room.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

MC

DSK wrote:
MC wrote:

..... ignoring the data I posted which shows clearly that I won.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you post any data that even met the conditions of the
bet, much less won?

Here's what happened as I see it.

1- I offered a comment on a small boat that I like

2- You ridiculed the boat and my statement

3- I said "Name something better" and gave some pretty specific
conditions, including size of the boat

4- You offered info on 3 or 4 boats which were neither better in the
specific named characteristics, and were very much larger anyway

The one I selected wasn't and with that you lost the bet. Also since you
said "anything in a comparable size range" a design would also win me
the bet as it is included in "anything". I offered you that too.

5- when I said, "I've won" you retreated to insults and then silence.
Frankly I'm a little surprised you bring it up, considering that you've
made some ridiculous claims.

Like your saying a Bolger micro is seaworthy and has a 180 degree LPS?
Come on! You know that is potentially dangerous BS. I remind you that
seaworthy means capable of withstanding a _storm_ at sea. I feel my
opposing your view in this point is a matter of integrity.

...Was that another thinly vieled threat?

Of course not. It was a rather simple question. Are you so paranoid that
you see threats in everything?

No, it is a common veiled threat and you know it. Why would prompt you
to ask it? Come on, explain YOUR actions.

Peter Wiley

In article , MC
wrote:

DSK wrote:
MC wrote:

[...]

Funny, I thought your definition of 'seaworthy' was a boat that had an
EPIRB, a liferaft and an HF radio or satellite phone. At least, you
give the impression of thinking they're more important than hull form.

PDW
MC

Peter Wiley wrote:

In article , MC
wrote:

DSK wrote:

MC wrote:

[...]

You've confused me with someone else. Are you often so confused?

Cheers

Bobsprit

A duel! We need a duel!

Doug has built many boats and boat parts. He has tons of hands on experience
and has sailed in many different types of places. This reminds me of
"Return to Snowy River", Jim Craig vs Patten.

RB

"Scout" wrote in message
Perhaps this is a case of a simple miscommunication due to divergent uses

of
the language!
Once, my friend in Sydney called to say he was "****ed" and I replied,

"Why?
What have I done to make you angry?"
He laughed and explained that at his end, "****ed" means drunk. Imagine my
relief!
I read you both to be honorable and knowledgeable gentlemen and I have
complete faith that this will end well!
Scout

Bobsprit

Default MC off the air next?

hoLy mother of pearl.

RB

"Navvie" wrote in message ...
I think it's a pretty cowardly thing to complain to a provider to shut
someone up. I would never do it. As for selecting posts out of context!
Now, I though I was generally quite reasonable here and just met like
with like. How could someone be so nasty? I've heard others complain
about this but is that what this NG is really all about -suspension of
free speech and dissent for non-americans?

Scout

Doug, I have no clue who is right in this matter. But I can tell you
that 30 years ago I was in a mechanical engineering class at Lehigh Univ.,
and my professor taught me one thing well (at least it's the only thing I
can remember from his class): "this field will humble all who enter it." He
was right, I've been humbled plenty, and everyone I've worked with has done
likewise at some point. 100 things in a row will go perfectly, and then a
"Challenger" happens and brings us all back down to earth.
Regarding the ongoing rift here - talented people will always find
something to disagree about, but I think sometimes uncontrolled-for
variables are the culprit lurking behind differentiated conclusions. I
suspect that happens all too often here, and the phenomenon is only
exasperated by the limited medium of NG posting (e.g., consider the number
of times a variant of the phrase "that's not what I said, or meant" has been
used here). In other words, it is possible for two people to argue a point
for which THEY ARE BOTH CORRECT but fail to communicate that their
experimental conditions are not identical.
Navigator obviously appreciates the Socratic approach and I believe he
is well-intended. At times he appears arrogant (IMHO) only because we can't
see or hear him as his progression of questions unfold. The questions may
come off as intellectual snares for which one becomes suspicious - thusly,
the stage is set for confrontation. Defensive postures are assumed, and the
rest is a predictable downhill slide. Unfortunately, at other times he seems
to prefer the bumble-bee approach, in which he pollinates a cross-section of
posts with sarcasm and sometimes brutal criticism. Some deserve this but
some do not. But I've also seen how far he will go to help a sailor with
less experience than he; just as you have done! It is with those positive
experiences in mind that I post this missive.
The reason I take long breaks from posting here (I still lurk often and
have been reading/posting here for about 4-5 years) is that I've found that
I don't like serious confrontation in this particular forum. There is too
much that can go wrong in the communication process and my carpal tunnel is
not conducive to typed tit-for-tat. It's a blast to watch others "go at it"
for fun but it's not fun to watch even virtual friends get hurt. Not that
anyone asked for my opinion, but there it is.
Scout

"DSK" wrote
Cool Shakespeare chops, Scout! Anyway, MC (or Navvie as some call him)
doesn't have friends, a true pedant doesn't want or need them.