Lonny

Default My close call

A couple of knuckleheads in this NG have requested I tell my 'close
call' story, so here goes.

First some background: I have been sailing for 30 years. Many parts
of the world. All weather conditions. Racing, cruising. I have been
a boat owner for about 12 of those years. I have crossed the ocean.
I have been in 35' conditions. I have NEVER been afraid.... except
this one time!

I was helping a friend move his 50' center cockpit sloop from Rhode
Island to Bermuda one fall a few years ago. This requires crossing
the Gulf stream. For those of you unfimiliar, the Gulf Stream is a
current, a moving body of water in the ocean. I moves approx 3 knots
and is relatively warm water. In the area that we were crossing it is
surrounded by cold water. Therefore, the Gulf Stream is capable of
producing it's own unpredictable weather.

This one day we were sailing along nicely but the weather was
deteriorating as we approached the stream. Winds were about 40 knots,
overcast, some rain, waves approx 3 meters. Still not too bad, until
we hit something in the water. It was kind of soft hit I guess. THe
boat now would not perform well, slowed down, and would not respond
very well to rudder inputs. We figured we picked up a fishing net and
it was wrapped around our rudder. The deteriorating conditions and
impending darkness meant it was much too risky for a crew member to go
overboard and inspect, perhaps cutting the net loose, so we had little
choice but to continue on.

It was about 1 am when we entered the stream, and I was just coming
off a single watch. THe captain came into the cockpit to relieve me,
but asked me to stay up with him, as we had just entered the stream
(he could tell from the water temperature) and it was raining very
hard by this point. So, basically I sat in the cockpit with him
during his 4 hour watch.

The conditions became Heavy, heavy thunderstorms, full of lightening,
to the point were there were times that it was lightening ALL OF THE
TIME, so that they entire ocean was lit up, and I could see clearly
all the way to the horizon. I had never experienced that before.
WInds were up to 45 knots and gusting a little higher. But the waves
built up to these SQUARE 5 meter monsters. Now, I have been in bigger
waves, but it was not the size as much as the shape. Imagine a 45
knot wind AGAINST a 3 knot current. It produced very unfriendly
conditions.

Our boat was very difficult to control with a fishing net around our
rudder, and we were smashing into these walls of water. Green water
over the decks, filling up the center cockpit of this boat. SOmetimes
it would splash down so hard on us that I could not see the captain,
even though he was only about 5' away from me. I was afraid one of us
was going to get washed over board (yes, we were harnessed in -
always). Our boat was heeled over to the point that the boom was
dragging in the water on occasion, and I know that is not good,
because you are no longer able to 'dump' air if needed. We had the
rail buried on this boat many times also.

It really was tough conditions. For the first time I realized that I
was in a situation that I might not survive. This was no movie, we
were on our own and in a little trouble. The only way to survive it
was with a little luck and a lot of concentration to do what it took
to get the boat through the night. ANd that is what happened to me.
I was focused. I did what I had to to sail the boat well and get
through the stream.

Approx 5 or 6 in the morning we came out of the stream, and the waves
immediately went to about 8 feet. It was like someone flipped a
switch. Our relief crew came up to take the helm, and the funny part
is, they really had no idea what kind of night they had just slept
through.

Well, it wasn't until later - off watch - that I had an emotional
reaction to what I had just gone through, and decided that I was being
a little selfish for putting myself in these sort of situations while
leaving small children at home. So, that was my last off shore trip
until my kids finish growing up.

Oh, later that day the sun came out, the waves went down to 6', so we
hove-to and a crew member went overboard and cut loose the net.

Lonny
Bobsprit

Oh, later that day the sun came out, the waves went down to 6', so we
hove-to and a crew member went overboard and cut loose the net.

Lonny

Great story, Lonny. Thanks.

RB
DSK

Lonny wrote:

A couple of knuckleheads in this NG have requested I tell my 'close
call' story, so here goes.

Why honor the request of knuckleheads? Anyway thanks for posting the
story, t is interesting reading.

I was helping a friend move his 50' center cockpit sloop from Rhode
Island to Bermuda one fall a few years ago.

What kind?

This one day we were sailing along nicely but the weather was
deteriorating as we approached the stream. Winds were about 40 knots,
overcast, some rain, waves approx 3 meters. Still not too bad, until
we hit something in the water. It was kind of soft hit I guess. THe
boat now would not perform well, slowed down, and would not respond
very well to rudder inputs. We figured we picked up a fishing net and
it was wrapped around our rudder. The deteriorating conditions and
impending darkness meant it was much too risky for a crew member to go
overboard and inspect, perhaps cutting the net loose, so we had little
choice but to continue on.

Huh? Jobs like this are not very dependent on vision anyway, and if
conditions were deteriorating, then you'd be better off getting it cleared
right away. It's possible that this bad call was responsible for much of
your trouble later.

[...]

Sounds like it. Did you maintain course to destination or had you put the
boat on an easier heading?

Our boat was very difficult to control with a fishing net around our
rudder, and we were smashing into these walls of water. Green water
over the decks, filling up the center cockpit of this boat. SOmetimes
it would splash down so hard on us that I could not see the captain,
even though he was only about 5' away from me. I was afraid one of us
was going to get washed over board (yes, we were harnessed in -
always). Our boat was heeled over to the point that the boom was
dragging in the water on occasion, and I know that is not good,
because you are no longer able to 'dump' air if needed. We had the
rail buried on this boat many times also.

Sure, sailing rail down isn't a problem, in fact it's kind of fun. In the
dark with breakers and a fishnet on the rudder is not. How about reducing
sail?

[...]

Things have a way of snowballing.... the worst problems hit in groups and
it sounds like you all had a bit more wiggle room left. That's one big
reason why I feel any problems at sea should be taken care of ASAP. You
don't know what's going to happen next and if it's bad, you have just lost
a lot of options and a lot of safety margin.

Personally, in forty years of sailing I have rescued people more times
than been in danger myself, but it is always a nice feeling to relax and
enjoy being safe & dry after a struggle with wind and water.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

lonny, you have been reading far too many Nick Carter novels. But keep trying,
and sometime in the 2rd or 3rd million written words you may have honed your
craft well enough to begin to sell you manuscripts. Try for more specific
details in your writing, more jerkiness in the sentence structure in telling
scarey things, more character nuances. Still, all in all, not a bad first
draft from a beginning writer.

[...]

I, too, found interesting and thank you for your story* and as one
contemplating assembling a crew for a N.Y.-to-Bermuda trip I'd be
greatful for and suspect others, too, would be interested in reading
your answer to the question, What do you believe are some of the more
important things you might have done to have mitigated even if you
couldn't have entirely avoided the difficulties you summarize?

----------------------------
On 15 Jan 2004, (Lonny) wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Ganz

Well, Lonny has problems...

Oz1R wrote in message ...
5metre waves and 45kts in a 50' yacht and you suffered an "emotional
reaction"?
Jesus Lonny, any sailor I know would be emotional all right..a smile
from ear to ear.

On 15 Jan 2004 06:17:55 -0800, (Lonny)
scribbled thusly:

[...]

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Lonny

DSK wrote in message ...

I was helping a friend move his 50' center cockpit sloop from Rhode
Island to Bermuda one fall a few years ago.

What kind?

It was a Bristol.

impending darkness meant it was much too risky for a crew member to go
overboard and inspect, perhaps cutting the net loose, so we had little
choice but to continue on.

Huh? Jobs like this are not very dependent on vision anyway, and if
conditions were deteriorating, then you'd be better off getting it cleared
right away. It's possible that this bad call was responsible for much of
your trouble later.

In general I agree with you. I think anyone reading my account and
your comment would learn something from the experience. However, I am
recounting it after a few years, and honestly I am not sure when we
concluded that we had picked up a net and not just having some
mechanical problems. At any rate the captain (very experienced)
decided at that moment not to send someone overboard.

dragging in the water on occasion, and I know that is not good,
because you are no longer able to 'dump' air if needed. We had the
rail buried on this boat many times also.

Sure, sailing rail down isn't a problem, in fact it's kind of fun. In the
dark with breakers and a fishnet on the rudder is not. How about reducing
sail?

Sure it's fun if you are out for an afternoon sail, but it totally
unnecessary when a couple of hundred miles off shore at night in a
gale. We had reduced sail considerably, but the captain decided to
continue pretty much on course in order to get through the 35 miles or
so of the stream as quickly as possible and not wallow in it. Most of
reason for having a rail in the water was because of the wave shape,
anyway, not wind.

Oh, later that day the sun came out, the waves went down to 6', so we
hove-to and a crew member went overboard and cut loose the net.

Things have a way of snowballing.... the worst problems hit in groups and
it sounds like you all had a bit more wiggle room left. That's one big
reason why I feel any problems at sea should be taken care of ASAP. You
don't know what's going to happen next and if it's bad, you have just lost
a lot of options and a lot of safety margin.

Excellent point! Again, anyone reading this should take note of that
fact. Things do have a way of snowballing.

I know the mentality of this group - or lack thereof - and will take
some guff for posting my experiences here. Some of my experiences
include mistakes. But the reason I post these sorts of stories is not
for my ego, but rather to teach others. Or let others learn from my
experiences, even if they contain mistakes.

Realize too, that it is always easy to be a star quarterback on Monday
morning.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thanks, Doug
MC

Oz you must remember these people are not used to the big winds and seas
we enjoy in the roaring 40's. Some of the biggest braggards here just
potter around on lakes.

Cheers

Oz1R wrote:

[...]

Jeff Morris

"Lonny" wrote in message

I know the mentality of this group - or lack thereof - and will take
some guff for posting my experiences here. Some of my experiences
include mistakes. But the reason I post these sorts of stories is not
for my ego, but rather to teach others. Or let others learn from my
experiences, even if they contain mistakes.

Like most of the readers here (though not all of the posters) I appreciate your
willingness to share this experience with us.

-jeff

Joe

DSK wrote in message ...
Lonny wrote:

[...]

Doug,

If it's to risky to puy someone under the boat in bad seas then it's
to risky.

Ive been hung on a backdown line for 4 days before. I could get under
the boat and cut loose. Nothing worse than getting the crap beat out
of you by a boat, on top of having to avoid propellers cutting you in
half.

I agree if at all possiable get someone under the boat and find out
whats going on. But not at risk of life and limb. Sometimes doing
nothing is the safest thing to do IMO.

Joe
MSV RedCloud