N1EE

Default Heaving a line

What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

Bart Senior
DSK

N1EE wrote:

What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

With a shot line & messenger.

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

hmmm... 100'?? I'll tip my hat to anybody who can throw a line more
than about 40'

The best way to throw a line is to flake about ten feet into your
throwing hand, running part up, and hold a flaked run in your other
hand, and give an exaggerated overhand throw like an old-time
grenadier. If you've got room to take two steps into the throw, that
adds some momentum as well. The biggest problem is that the line
usually tangles long before it gets to effective range, so it pays to
be extra careful flaking it out for the throw. The next biggest
problem is that the thrown line has to carry the weight of all the
line going with it, so that's why you put a length in your free hand
to pay it out easier.

Personally, I much prefer to never throw lines. Unless the crew is
drilled at this, they always fall short and then you've got a worse
problem. The exception would be taking another boat in tow in an
emergency, with a heavy sea running so that coming close alongside
would be asking for damage, or pulling a person out of the water.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jonathan Ganz

I would split the length into each hand on either side of my body,
then throw it underhand with my strongest arm (right in my case).
You get stability, and I doubt it could be thrown more than 50 feet
no matter what. I doubt I would use all 50 feet... more like 30.

"N1EE" wrote in message
om...
What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

Bart Senior

MC

2 coils, say about 20-30' in throwing hand the rest in other hand. Use
an underarm throw with shoulders swinging across the direct of throw (if
you see what I mean) aiming to send the rope up and out at about 45
degrees and as soon at the short coil is flying open the other hand flat
to let coils slip off. The rope must be coiled correctly to prevent
tangles and the coil should be in the direction that the rope is flying
so that the rotation imparted to the coil by the throw causes it to
unwind. (I do not think flaking the line is a good idea as it will
promote tangles more than a flying wide coil).

Cheers

N1EE wrote:

What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

Bart Senior

katysails

Tie a huge big frickin knot in one end and use that as a makeshift =
monkey's fist....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Scott Vernon

That could also help the person trying to hold on to the rope.

SV

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse