DSK

Default Heaving a line

N1EE wrote:

What is the best way to heave a line for
maximum range?

With a shot line & messenger.

Assumptions:

You are in a hurry, you do not have a line
launcher, messenger line, monkey's fist or
any other weight at the end of the line you
want to throw.

All you have is 100' of 5/8" braided line.

hmmm... 100'?? I'll tip my hat to anybody who can throw a line more
than about 40'

The best way to throw a line is to flake about ten feet into your
throwing hand, running part up, and hold a flaked run in your other
hand, and give an exaggerated overhand throw like an old-time
grenadier. If you've got room to take two steps into the throw, that
adds some momentum as well. The biggest problem is that the line
usually tangles long before it gets to effective range, so it pays to
be extra careful flaking it out for the throw. The next biggest
problem is that the thrown line has to carry the weight of all the
line going with it, so that's why you put a length in your free hand
to pay it out easier.

Personally, I much prefer to never throw lines. Unless the crew is
drilled at this, they always fall short and then you've got a worse
problem. The exception would be taking another boat in tow in an
emergency, with a heavy sea running so that coming close alongside
would be asking for damage, or pulling a person out of the water.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King