BoatBanter.com

-   -   Rigging Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18915-rigging-question.html)

Jonathan Ganz January 7th 04 06:30 PM

Rigging Question

They will work themselves out if the tape comes off and if a line gets
snagged
and gets them to the inner ring (for lack of a better term for it). I've
seen it happen.
If the straight cotter is done properly, there is no way you're going to
gouge yourself
on it. Also, it will have tape, just like the ring.

"katysails" wrote in message
We use ring and tape. too. Aside from the fact that the rings don't work
themselves out or snap off, you also don't get gouged in the ankle by a bent
over cotter pin on the way by. BTW, bobbypins can be used as SHORT TERM
emergency voter pins if you're in a real crunch...just remember to replace
them...they rust through very quickly and won't take a lot of load for a
lonmg period of time. They are stronger than paperclips, though.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Jeff Morris January 7th 04 06:36 PM

Rigging Question

I'll go out on a limb ... Why do they need securing?

I'm really not advocating this, but ...

When I bought my current boat I went to the factory for a week of acceptance
tests, commissioning, etc. The boat was all rigged for us, but there were no
cotter pins installed. They explained that as soon as we left, the mast would
be pulled for the delivery down the Erie Canal, and there was no need to install
the cotter pins for just a few day sails. I was skeptical, and checked every
turnbuckle morning, noon, and night but of course, there was no movement at all.

I've also wondered if both ends of the turnbuckle need a pin - for it to turn,
the stay must twist. I hard to see how it could loosen more than a quarter
turn.

As I say, I'm not advocating never using pins, and all of my stay have split
pins, but I'm not sure losing one pin is an immediate crisis.

On the other hand, as an ex-dinghy sailor whose boats were rigged with clevis
and ring pins, I can say its rather unnerving to find a ring-ding in the bilge!

"N1EE" wrote in message
om...
What's the best cotter pin type to secure
a turnbuckle?

Bart Senior

MC January 7th 04 09:11 PM

Rigging Question

I have a small coil of monel wire that I can use for emergency cotter
pins (mostly because the spares have 'disappeared' from the small parts
drawer). In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I noticed the mainsheet
cotter had gone and wound the wire through 3 times and twisted closed to
act as a cotter... What puzzles me is how the hell did the old SS cotter
disappear. it was correctly set -I had replaced it two years ago when
servicing the traveler.

Cheers MC

katysails January 7th 04 11:52 PM

Rigging Question

Bil said: All competent (and even most incompetent) sailors have proper =
tools
available.=20

Yes, but diving to the bottom of the slip to retrieve them can be a real =
hassle, especially when some here carry so much body fat that getting to =
the bottom is almost an impossibility.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails January 7th 04 11:55 PM

Rigging Question

Jon argued: =20
They will work themselves out if the tape comes off and if a line gets
snagged
and gets them to the inner ring=20

I disagree. Don't you keep watch on your tape and make sure it's not =
unraveling? Also, what is this about ropes and lines shagging them? If =
they're taped down, why would a rope or line do that? In over 25 years =
of sailing, I've never seen that happen, and I have been gouged by =
straight cotter pins...
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Jonathan Ganz January 8th 04 01:35 AM

Rigging Question

How? If they're curled properly, they shouldn't snag your ankle. Also, they
should be taped too! Goes both ways....

Jon argued:

MC January 8th 04 01:39 AM

Rigging Question

Curled? What do you mean?

Cheers MC

Jonathan Ganz January 8th 04 02:47 AM

Rigging Question

The cotter pins... I guess I meant bent not curled.

"MC" wrote in message
Curled? What do you mean?

Cheers MC

Joe January 8th 04 04:27 AM

Rigging Question

"katysails" wrote in message ...
We use ring and tape. too. Aside from the fact that the rings don't
work themselves out or snap off,

Wanna Bet? I had one work out a few months ago on my La Brisa.

Worked my butt off getting upwind all the way on the lake looking
forward to a sleigh ride down wind. On my last tack upwind lost the
mast due to one of those cruddy SS rings either working out or
snapping. I use them on my small boat because I remove them often, but
on RedCloud I use real cotter pins then i serve over the pins on and
the turn buckles... screw tape always wears out unravels rotts fades
ect......

joe