Mike McEvoy

Default fastest production monohull (non-displacement , non -sailboard)?

There are still Fireballs sailing (Worlds are due to start on Friday in
Adelaide) so if you still own one why not sail it? We still drink beer and
go like hell!

--
Mike McEvoy
Fireball CAN 13890

See the Fireball home page at http://www.lo0.com/fireball/
or Visit the message board
http://members.boardhost.com/fireball/
"Prev1" wrote in message
om...
"Steven J. Ross" sross45atcomcast.net wrote in message

Hello, If you check the Portsmith handicap numbers. The A-Scow smokes

all
other centerboard monohulls including the M-20. I've seen a picture of

one
pulling a water skier.

Best Wishes, Steve Ross

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/...tables03cb.htm

"Harken Ronstan" wrote in message
om...
What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?

I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

Funny that the M-20 looks like a Fireball, which I still own. I
sailed it for 10 years including with world record holders in the
Fireball class. It was fast and fun, but certainly not compared to
windsurfing! It was intersting to see that it's rating was in low
80's, which is respectable. This was the dingly class of are yacht
clubs a while back. The problem was they turned out to be too much
boat for the Jr's and the they turtled and got stuck in the mud. I
did manage to drink excessive amounts of beer, sail solo with all
three sails up and go like hell. Thanks for the memories.

---

Harken Ronstan

I spent may years racing in the midwest (Minnetonka YC) I never
considered the M20 to be a fast boat. It seems to have everything for
high performance but when the wind starts cranking they are the first
to dump or nose dive. Around 1986 or so Melges was testing a super
scow based on the M20, I saw one a Geneva YC, it had an asym spin,
bigger rudders, bow spirt and maybe some other stuff behind the
scenes. At least I though it was a M20, I notice there is a M16 based
version http://www.boatshow.com/MelgesSuperScow16.html so maybe I was
wrong.
No doubt about it, the Ascow is a beast, it is nice to see they have
been more progressive with design changes in the past 10 or so years,
too bad they haven't gone back to trapezes. In the 70's? some carried
four on the wire, I would guess with the sideboards this is a bit
dangerous.
As for windsurfers, the reason I didn't include them is that even old
gear such as a Lechner, which is full displacement hull, will smoke
most anything on most points of sail, especially upwind.
Gustaf

Dear Sloped A-hole.

This is "rec.boats.racing" NOT "alt.sailing"
Current fastest production mono-hull is Outer Limits 39' with
1400 hp twins and Merc #6 dry-sump drives. 147+ mph

Still has Reggie PO'd

"Harken Ronstan" wrote in message
om...
What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?

I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

getlost

Gutass,
You really are behind the curve.
You responded in:
alt.sailing
alt.sailing.asa
rec.windsurfing
And rec.boatsracing (for people that actually compete)
as opposed to rec.boatsracing.power

And - If you are going to include silly motor toys
then the fastest monohull is the Russian KM Ekranoplan at
500+Kph (~270K)

Gustaf wrote:

Dear Sloped A-hole.

This is "rec.boats.racing" NOT "alt.sailing"
Current fastest production mono-hull is Outer Limits 39' with
1400 hp twins and Merc #6 dry-sump drives. 147+ mph

Still has Reggie PO'd

"Harken Ronstan" wrote in message
om...

What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?

I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

Wolfgang Soergel

Harken Ronstan wrote:

What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?

I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

In light winds (under maybe 6 or 7 knots) AC type boats (long, narrow
keel yacht) are probabely fastest. A little more wind and i would
consider racing skiffs. Even more (12 knots and up) and Formula
Windsurfing gear has chances. But ultimately fastest are probabely big
(semi)planing racing yachts like the Open 60s or even bigger beasts.
Wasn't there a thread about a 150ft racing monohull shattering some
record a while back? Of course these boats aren't readily available to
most of us...
--
Wolfgang

robert childers

It's been quite a few years since I followed this subject, but as I
recall there used to be speed trials in England on a yearly basis.
The Yacht Research Association, or Royal Yacht Research Association, I
believe was the sponsoring group. In those days foil sail boats
usually ran the fastest. I seem to remember 39 knots as a record.
Since then kite sailors and other innovations have emerged, as well.
And board sailors were also quite competitive. =20

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:42:43 +0100, Wolfgang Soergel
wrote:

Harken Ronstan wrote:
=20
What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?
=20
I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

In light winds (under maybe 6 or 7 knots) AC type boats (long, narrow
keel yacht) are probabely fastest. A little more wind and i would
consider racing skiffs. Even more (12 knots and up) and Formula
Windsurfing gear has chances. But ultimately fastest are probabely big
(semi)planing racing yachts like the Open 60s or even bigger beasts.
Wasn't there a thread about a 150ft racing monohull shattering some
record a while back? Of course these boats aren't readily available to
most of us...

Dan Weiss

Hello Robert:

Are you thinking of the Speed Trials at Weymouth? As far as I know,
only Russell Long's Longshot and Charente Maritime bridged the gap
between Crossbow II and Yellow Pages Endeavor during the years 1986 to
1993. Longshot did runs between 37 and 44 knots in the period of
1990-92, and Charente Maritime did record runs only in 1992. But
that's it, otherwise, excluding windsurfers.

Of course, other boats might have been going nearly that fast but
simply not in the record books.

http://www.speedsailing.com/Background_records.htm

-Dan

wrote:

Harken Ronstan wrote:

What is the fastest mono-hull (non-sailboard)on a windward leeward or
triangle course these days?

I estimate: 505, Intl 14 GP, 49er, 18ft skiff are contenders.
Since they all plane up wind, waterline is less of an issue so I would
guess larger craft like an E scow, and A scow are in this class.

In light winds (under maybe 6 or 7 knots) AC type boats (long, narrow
keel yacht) are probabely fastest. A little more wind and i would
consider racing skiffs. Even more (12 knots and up) and Formula
Windsurfing gear has chances. But ultimately fastest are probabely big
(semi)planing racing yachts like the Open 60s or even bigger beasts.
Wasn't there a thread about a 150ft racing monohull shattering some
record a while back? Of course these boats aren't readily available to
most of us...

robert childers

On 7 Jan 2004 15:51:08 -0800, (Dan Weiss) wrote:

Hi Dan,
I can't really remember. It probably was the speed trials I'm
recalling. I do remember Crossbow going at pretty great speed. It
seems to me there were a bunch of experimental foilers in those days
that were moving in the high 30's, or better. ( It seems like one of
them looked like a tetrahedron,) Sorry my recollection is so poor,
and I don't have the pamphlets the Amateur Yacht Research Society used
to publish, anymore, so I can't check it. I didn't find anything
specific on their web site.

Hello Robert:

Are you thinking of the Speed Trials at Weymouth? As far as I know,
only Russell Long's Longshot and Charente Maritime bridged the gap
between Crossbow II and Yellow Pages Endeavor during the years 1986 to
1993. Longshot did runs between 37 and 44 knots in the period of
1990-92, and Charente Maritime did record runs only in 1992. But
that's it, otherwise, excluding windsurfers.

Of course, other boats might have been going nearly that fast but
simply not in the record books.

http://www.speedsailing.com/Background_records.htm

-Dan
robert childers wrote in message =

. ..
It's been quite a few years since I followed this subject, but as I
recall there used to be speed trials in England on a yearly basis.
The Yacht Research Association, or Royal Yacht Research Association, I
believe was the sponsoring group. In those days foil sail boats
usually ran the fastest. I seem to remember 39 knots as a record.
Since then kite sailors and other innovations have emerged, as well.
And board sailors were also quite competitive. =20
=20
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:42:43 +0100, Wolfgang Soergel
wrote:
=20
Harken Ronstan wrote:
=20
[...]

DSK

robert childers wrote:
Hi Dan,
I can't really remember. It probably was the speed trials I'm
recalling. I do remember Crossbow going at pretty great speed. It
seems to me there were a bunch of experimental foilers in those days
that were moving in the high 30's, or better. ( It seems like one of
them looked like a tetrahedron,) Sorry my recollection is so poor,
and I don't have the pamphlets the Amateur Yacht Research Society used
to publish, anymore, so I can't check it. I didn't find anything
specific on their web site.

Crossbow 1 was a 60' proa. Cool boat. I'd love to see a video of her in
action. They added a small diamond-shaped foil on the bottom of her
small windward hull (IIRC it was one hull off an old Shark catamaran)
for softer landings... she was a one-way boat, only sailing on port tack
and getting towed back to the other end of the speed circle. She was
expected to break 40 knots but I think only made the high 30s.
Nonetheless a very impressive boat at the time and held the speed record
for a few years.

Crossbow II came a few years later, was a bit more exotic, an big (70'?)
cat with offset hulls and duplicate rigs. I think she broke 40 knots and
held the record for a few more years.

Fresh Breezes- Doug king

jeff feehan

i agree with the a.c. boats, but open 60's and similar boats
aren't designed for upwind work. neither was mari cha - the boat
that beat the transatlantic record recently.

jeff feehan