Thom Stewart

Default SF Bay area sailing vs. New England -- THANKS!

Ost,

If you get to the Puget Sound, you better give me a call. There is a
Gulf 29 Pilothouse Sloop for you to use (An old man and a Ratterrier
Dog) that goes with it. There is no way you can beat the Price.
One "Mamhatten" straight up. That's your cost.

Seriously, e-mail me and I'll show you some out of the way anchorages
and some Dungeness Crabs that won't beat those NE Lobsters but their not
to bad. With the Microwave, in the Pilothouse you can't get a much
fresher Crab Louie anywhere.

And; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Scott Vernon

Default SF Bay area sailing vs. New England

Yup, Jax gave it to me.

SV

"Donal" wrote

You know the address to send complaints to.

Bobsprit

Yup, Jax gave it to me.

Ewwwwwww!

RB
Jonathan Ganz

You're welcome. Most places are probably more cautious
than that in my experience. It's easy to get in trouble on the
bay.

"Intenost" wrote in message
Thanks! Jon, Thom, Bart, et al, appreciate all of the great info. So

looks
like I'm in for some challenging sailing, and hopefully will have the time
to get into the racing scene, although I've been more of a cruising sailor
the last decade or so. I did charter a boat, J-24 I think, out of

Sausalito
once, and had quite a ride, in fact I watched another boat get dismasted,
dramatic, although nobody was hurt, and local boaters and S&R got there in

hurry. Funny, I thought I would get grilled by the charter outfit, being

an
out of towner on a pretty rough day, but all they did was asked me to put

double reef in the main at the dock, and then they said, "have fun" which

did! But I was wondering about the crusing opportunities there as I feel
kind of spoiled by New England, with all the coves and harbors to duck

into,
and lobster for the taking.

Puget Sound is great, I've done 4 weeks in the San Juan's over the last 5
years, and hope to go back in 2004. It's just such a great place to get
away, great sailing, beautiful sailing, unspoiled. And nice to be able to
empty that holding tank in Canadian waters :-).

Due to work location and cost of living issues, I may wind up living

closer
to Santa Cruz/Monterey then SF Bay, so I may be back looking for pointers

on
the sailing opportunities in that area...

Regards,

-Ost

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Intenost,

You got the right man with Jon.

I think you"ll love sailing out here. I'm in the Puget Sound Area, after
growing up on Long Island Sound. I was led to believe LI Sound was the
best. Boy was I wrong.. Puget Sound tops it hands down

I sailed a little on SF Bay. Damn little but it's a hell of a great
place to sail. Maybe the best in the country. IMHO!

The big draw back out hear is the water is cold, COLD!! You don't go
swimming like back East. This is Wet Suit Country.

SAILING IS THE GREATEST!

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

Same goes with what Thom said...

Re Monterey/Santa Cruz... Try Pacific Yachting. www.pacificsail.com.
I know the owner and a good friend is one of the instructors.

"Intenost" wrote in message
[...]

Jonathan Ganz

It must be naivity, since I've never engaged in illegal chartering.

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Well, I'm a bit naive I guess.

Naive .... or still engaging in illegal chartering?

You know the address to send complaints to.

Regards

Donal
--

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Not sure what you mean...?

It was pretty clear to me!

Regards

Donal
--

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
including some small time illegal ones. Eh, John?

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...

There are lots and lots of clubs, organizations, charter

companies,
and
marinas
to rent boats through.

Donal

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
It must be naivity, since I've never engaged in illegal chartering.

I knew that you hadn't!

I assumed that either you *are* qualified, or (more likely) that nobody had
ever gone out on one of your charter weekends!

Regards

Donal

N1EE

Neal would do fine in San Francisco and
enjoy getting some extra polish on his
skills.

Anyone would learn something every day
they sailed on San Francisco Bay.

Sailing regularly in heavy winds is
invaluable experience. Also, it's
better to get comfortable in high winds,
before that plus huge combined seas.

People freak out in relation to their
experience level.

If you have seen 65 knot winds, then 45
knots is no sweat.

People who have only seen 10 knots, get
nervous and start whinning at 15-20 knots,
and progressively freak out to the point
of being useless as conditions build.

Sailing in San Francisco's worst chop,
in a J-24 is something you can scale
up when you sail bigger boats on the
ocean. Small boats make the sailor!

Having situational awareness is another
confidence booster. Experienced sailors
recognize what the weather is doing--if
it's veering or backing, building or not.
If you know what is going on, then you
will be calm and able to keep other people
calm.

Experiece is the difference between
being "cool" or uncomfortable when things
get really nasty.

San Francisco can not be beat as the best
venue to improve sailing skills because it
has the best wind and the best sport sailing
in the world.

Bart Senior

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

I don't know about the sails. I do know Neal wouldn't last 10 minutes.

"Thom Stewart" wrote

Hey Craz,

I don't believe your Hong Kong Sails would last a season on SF Bay. It
is a great, ruget sailing area. A place where sailor and equipment are
put to the full test often.

Ole Thom

N1EE

Hey Thom!

Why don't you give us a run down of sailing in
your area? Start a new thread.

Bart