BoatBanter.com

-   -   Remember Pearl Harbor!; (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18654-remember-pearl-harbor-%3B.html)

Thom Stewart December 8th 03 01:48 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

I Remembered. I went sailing today. Actually went yesterday evening and
came back today.

Cold!! Thank's goodness for the Pilothouse. Temp 41 Degrees. Wind damn
light. About 3 knots.

Doug, Thought a lot about you on the way back. BBQ'd Ribs on the way
back on the Heat Pal. Beautiful aroma sailing back. I was wondering if
you ever tried the Recipe?

So; "LET'S REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!" And "DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

DSK December 8th 03 01:30 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Thom Stewart wrote:

I Remembered. I went sailing today. Actually went yesterday evening and
came back today.

Cold!! Thank's goodness for the Pilothouse. Temp 41 Degrees. Wind damn
light. About 3 knots.

Doug, Thought a lot about you on the way back. BBQ'd Ribs on the way
back on the Heat Pal. Beautiful aroma sailing back. I was wondering if
you ever tried the Recipe?

So; "LET'S REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!" And "DRINK TO THAT!"

You bet I remembered. Some of us at the marina were standing at attention
8am yesterday for hoisting the flag. Nobody said a word but we all knew
what we were there for.

I've never made BBQ ribs, can you cook them on the engine manifold
underway? I spent most of the day 1- walking the dog 2- working on our
heater system, which is finally showing signs of coming together.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe December 8th 03 03:25 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

(Thom Stewart) wrote in message ...
I Remembered. I went sailing today. Actually went yesterday evening and
came back today.

Cold!! Thank's goodness for the Pilothouse. Temp 41 Degrees. Wind damn
light. About 3 knots.

Doug, Thought a lot about you on the way back. BBQ'd Ribs on the way
back on the Heat Pal. Beautiful aroma sailing back. I was wondering if
you ever tried the Recipe?

So; "LET'S REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!" And "DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Hey Ol Thom,

Yesterday I heard that the Americans fired the first shot of the
Pacific war. Not only that, but we sunk a Jap sub in doing it! A shore
gun by Hickum field took out the sub with one shot! They just found
that sub a couple of years ago.

Joe ~ Will never forget what the sorry ass japs did! And will never
buy a jap car!

Thom Stewart December 8th 03 05:18 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Joe,

Hickum has no shore batteries Joe, but your right about the Sub. It was
sunk by the USS Ward. I believe it was a Jap two man scout Sub

OT

SAIL LOCO December 8th 03 07:59 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

We "screened" Pearl Harbor last night in memory of the day using our wiz bang
home theater and our WEGA TV.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Bobsprit December 8th 03 08:22 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

We "screened" Pearl Harbor last night in memory of the day using our wiz bang
home theater and our WEGA TV.

Not a very good movie, but the attacks scenes are technically impressive. What
type of sound system are you using.

RB

Bobsprit December 8th 03 08:46 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

boob was rootin for the japs.

Jap: Racist term, usually disparaging : JAPANESE

I had to look it up. Very sad that someone like Scotty, who has quite a lot to
be thankful for, is still capable of such terms.

RB

Joe December 8th 03 11:46 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

(Thom Stewart) wrote in message ...
Joe,

Hickum has no shore batteries Joe, but your right about the Sub. It was
sunk by the USS Ward. I believe it was a Jap two man scout Sub

OT

Great! Im glad the Navy did it!

Came in on the middle of a discovery program about it.
Yeah it was a 80 footer.

Joe

SAIL LOCO December 9th 03 01:12 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Not a very good movie, but the attacks scenes are technically impressive.
What
type of sound system are you using.

I should post it so you could attempt to knock it. Just let me say that home
theater is not as important to me as my audio system which resides in another
room.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Seahag December 9th 03 01:59 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

SAIL LOCO wrote:
What
type of sound system are you using.

I should post it so you could attempt to knock it. Just let me say that

home
theater is not as important to me as my audio system which resides in

another
room.

The Train Room?

Seahag

SAIL LOCO December 9th 03 02:35 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

The Train Room?

Nah, the trains are in the basement.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Seahag December 9th 03 02:55 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

SAIL LOCO wrote:

The Train Room?

Nah, the trains are in the basement.

Get out! You don't have them around the tree?

Seahag

Joe December 9th 03 03:55 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
boob was rootin for the japs.

Jap: Racist term, usually disparaging : JAPANESE

I had to look it up. Very sad that someone like Scotty, who has quite a lot to
be thankful for, is still capable of such terms.

RB

Jap is a word for the sorry *******s that killed and tortured unarmed POW's.
Guess that wasent in you book to look up huh?

Joe

SAIL LOCO December 9th 03 05:34 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Get out! You don't have them around the tree?

I have a 0 gauge layout in the basement and I run G scale around the tree. G
scale is very quiet.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Joe December 10th 03 03:11 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

(Thom Stewart) wrote in message ...
I Remembered. I went sailing today. Actually went yesterday evening and
came back today.

Cold!! Thank's goodness for the Pilothouse. Temp 41 Degrees. Wind damn
light. About 3 knots.

Doug, Thought a lot about you on the way back. BBQ'd Ribs on the way
back on the Heat Pal. Beautiful aroma sailing back. I was wondering if
you ever tried the Recipe?

So; "LET'S REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!" And "DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Hey Ol Thom,

I thought this was worth re-posting here for some of people here
might understand what our vets did for them. It's from a shipmate of
mine named Joe Dunlap. And is on the web-site usssamuelgompers.org

Here is what Joe wrote:

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade
class
from Clinton, WI, where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly
enjoy
visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special
memories
back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima Memorial.
This
memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of
the
most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers
raising
the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo
Jima,
Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and
headed
towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the
statue,
and as I got closer he asked, "Where are you guys from?"

I told him that we were from Wisconsin. "Hey, I'm a cheesehead, too!
Come
gather around, Cheeseheads, and I will tell you a story."

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the
memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night
to his
dad, who has since passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw
the
buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his
permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to
tour
the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington,D.C., but
it is
quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.)

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are
his
words that night.)

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on
that
statue, and I just wrote a book called "Flags of Our Fathers" which is
#5 on
the New York Times Be st Seller list right now. It is the story of the
six
boys you see behind me.

"Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the
ground is
Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in
the
Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They
were off
to play another type of game. A game called "War." But it didn't turn
out
to be a game. Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in
his
hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are
generals who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of
war.
You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18,
and 19
years old.

(He pointed to the statue) "You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon
from
New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo
was
taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a
photograph
... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for
protection
because he was scared. He was 18 years old. Boys won the battle of
Iwo
Jima. Boys. Not old men.

"The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike
Strank.
Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him
the "old
man" because he was so old.. He was already 24. When Mike would
motivate his
boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or
'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys.
Instead
he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your
mothers.'

"The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian
from
Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House
with
my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters,
'How
can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me
and
only 27 of us walked off alive?' So you take your class at school,
250 of
you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together.
Then all
250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off
alive.
That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes
died dead
drunk, face down at the age of 32 ... ten years after this picture was
taken.

"The next guy, going a round the statue, is Franklin Sousley from
Hilltop,
Kentucky. A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70,
told
me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop
General
Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get
down.
Then we fed them Epsom salts. Those cows crapped all night.' Yes, he
was a
fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19.
When
the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the
Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his
mother's
farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the
morning.
The neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

"The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John
Bradley from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived until
1994,
but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers,
or
the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say,
'No,
I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there
is no
phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back.' My dad
never
fished or even went to Canada. Usually, he was sitting there right at
the
table eating his Campbell's soup. But we had to tell the press that he
was
out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press.

"You see, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these
guys
are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and a monument. My dad knew
better.
He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo
Jima he
probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died in Iwo
Jima,
they writhed and screamed in pain.

"When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad
was a
hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said,
'I
want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys
who did
not come back. Did NOT come back.'

"So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo
Jima, and
three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo
Jima in
the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is
giving out,
so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a
flag
sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the
heartfelt
words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not
hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero
nonetheless.

We need to remember that God created this vast and glorious world for
us to
live in, freely, but also at great sacrifice. Let us never forget from
the
revolutionary War to the Gulf War and all the wars in-between that
sacrifice
was made for our freedom.

Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray
for
those still in murderous unrest around the world. STOP and thank God
for
being alive at someone else's sacrifice. God Bless.

REMINDER: Everyday that you can wake up and put the feet on the
ground, it's
going to be a great day.

Thom Stewart December 11th 03 03:29 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

UP YOUR OZZY ASS,

If it wasn't for those dead BOYS you Upside down, backward wise ass
mates would be servicing Jap masters and British would be speaking
German.

The Japs attacked us at Pearl Harbor, in the Pacific and the next day
our Army and Navy set sail. Where, why Europe to fight the Germans. The
English, Aussies, Kiwi were all trying to save "JOLLY OLD" We had to
fight a delaying war in the Pacific so that our real might could go to
Europe.

We lost a lot of young men (BOYS) to save a bunch of backing and
surrendering armies. We had to build our strength to fight a two front
war and save YOUR SORRY ASSES.

OZ, I asked this question before in this group. I'll ask it again;- Can
you, any of you Yank Haters, Name one offensive battle that was won by
the rest of the World's Army before the American got into the WW2? One
battle anywhere that was an attack on a AXIS POWER that took one foot of
territory from the AXIS without the Yanks involvement?

I Don't think you can. You people are great a knocking us. So, I'm
taking this opportunity to tell it as it was. Tell it to the smart asses
that want to forget what they COULDN'T" DO AND WE DID FOR THEM!!!

We can HONOR our heroes any damn well way we want to. WE EARNED IT, WE
PAID FOR IT, AND DAMNIT WE DIED FOR IT!!!

SO UP YOU'RE OZ. , In WW2 you were LOSERS and us YANKS made you WINNERS

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

Damn that felt good,
Ole Thom

Peter Wiley December 11th 03 04:24 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

This is another occasion where I agree with you, Oz. I hate that.

Ole Thom, the rest of the world knows full well that the USA sat on its
hands while Europe got turned to trash. The only reason you guys
entered the war at all was because the Japanese were foolish enough to
attack you. If they hadn't, you'd have done nothing for years more,
maybe forever. The first bit's fact, the last is speculation based on
your behaviour at the time.

You guys lost people and lots of them. Most of your troops were
mediocre to OK but there were lots of them and they had a superb
logistical tail, which is what wins modern wars. The marines fighting
through the Pacific islands were superb combat troops.

However, you never had your people killed in things like the Sandakan
death march, Changi or a lot of other places. You sat all that stuff
out. We have long & bitter memories of WW2. The Japanese treated our
POW's atrociously. You guys let a lot of them off after the war was
over because the politics had changed.

We brought troops home from the Middle East to fight in the Pacific. We
were fighting the Axis powers in Africa while you guys were watching
from the sidelines and we fought them to a standstill with no help at
all from you. A lot of the countries down this way are still wary of us
because they know what we did and what we could do again if we decided
it was necessary. We had a lot of experience in jungle warfare while
you guys stayed home.

FYI, it's also a matter of historic record that the Japanese weren't
going to try to take Australia. They just wanted us out of Asia. We
stopped them in PNG with little/no help from you guys.

It's real easy, Thom, to claim that nobody won an offensive battle
without the USA. Real easy - considering you sat it out until the tide
had turned.

Peter Wiley

In article , Donny's
Dilemma wrote:

I'm getting horribly sick of you waving your flag and claiming the US
won the war single handed.
Take a look at the losses of ANZAC troops during the war in Europe and
the Pacific,,,,all from a nation with a population of less that 6
million at the time.
The Japs attacked us in Darwin and in Sydney...you have no clue old
man other than the patriotic bull**** you've been feeding on all your
life.

AFA delaying your entry into war, you delayed getting into Europe when
a quick decision would have ended it all that much faster before the
German army had a stranglehold
AND you delayed entry into the Pacific while thousands were killed by
Jap hands then, after you're directly attacked, decide that you might
have a war on your hands.

Go here and get an education

http://www.minerva.com.au/austwardia.../kokoda%20trai
l.htm
Have a look at the real story Thom.

What I was refering to that brought about your inane rant was that the
story as told appeared a little embelished to achieve a particular
aim....You swallowed it, Choke on it you sanctimonious old fart!

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:01 -0800 (PST), (Thom
Stewart) wrote:

[...]

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Peter Wiley December 11th 03 04:28 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

In article , Donny's
Dilemma wrote:

[snip]

OZ, I asked this question before in this group. I'll ask it again;- Can
you, any of you Yank Haters, Name one offensive battle that was won by
the rest of the World's Army before the American got into the WW2? One
battle anywhere that was an attack on a AXIS POWER that took one foot of
territory from the AXIS without the Yanks involvement?

Funny, the history books don't say anything about US troops outside
Stalingrad helping to keep the Germans out. Or the battles all the way
to Berlin.

Thom, your knowledge of history is appallingly biased. Stick to
sailing, you actually know what you're talking about there.

Peter Wiley

John Cairns December 11th 03 05:18 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Excuse me, but I don't recall reading anywhere that the Empire declared war
on the Japanese or the Germans until they had absolutely no choice.Britain
declared war on Japan on December 7th AFTER they had been attacked. Did
Australia or NZ declare war on Japan before that date? As far as the rest
goes, if the European nations hadn't appeased Hitler throughout his
bloodless conquest of Europe, would war have been necessary? Would Hitler
have survived his generals if France had marched into Germany when Germany
reoccupied the Rhineland? How can you criticize the US as being isolationist
when the folks that live right next door don't want to get involved?
John Cairns

http://www.minerva.com.au/austwardia...ic/kokoda%20tr

DSK December 11th 03 02:34 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Peter Wiley wrote:

This is another occasion where I agree with you, Oz. I hate that.

Ole Thom, the rest of the world knows full well that the USA sat on its
hands while Europe got turned to trash.

That's not a fair statement at all. The USA hardly "sat on it's hands." Ever hear of
Lend-Lease? The strategic planners in the US were getting prepared to fight WW2 as
early as 1936.

Nazi sympathirzers and isolationists in American politics tried very hard to tie
FDR's hands, and to some extent they succeeded. But, would the US Army Air Corp have
bought the B-17 Flying Fortress in depths of the Depression, if somebody didn't see
a big need for it on the horizon?

The only reason you guys
entered the war at all was because the Japanese were foolish enough to
attack you. If they hadn't, you'd have done nothing for years more,
maybe forever. The first bit's fact, the last is speculation based on
your behaviour at the time.

IMHO that's even more ridiculous than any 'Murrikun claiming that the US of A won
the war single-handed. There is no way the United States would have avoided entering
the war on the side of the Allies.

However, you never had your people killed in things like the Sandakan
death march, Changi or a lot of other places. You sat all that stuff
out. We have long & bitter memories of WW2. The Japanese treated our
POW's atrociously. You guys let a lot of them off after the war was
over because the politics had changed.

And possibly, by sidetracking this darker side of human nature, we averted an even
more disastrous WW3. Revenge and reparations are what brought on the Depression and
WW2.

I'd prefer to not see two sets of blindly patriotic brinksmen shout at each other,
the facts are both more interesting & more useful.

Regards
Doug King

Joe December 11th 03 03:49 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

(Thom Stewart) wrote in message ...
UP YOUR OZZY ASS,

Hey Ole Thom,

I missed it. What did that piece of **** OZZY say?

You should re-post it so the rest of the world can see what a low
life , scumbag he is.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Thom Stewart December 11th 03 05:50 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Joe,

OZ replied to your story about Iwo Jama like he was talking about a
Hollywood Movie;

Quote OZ, "Damn, and he did it all in a monologue with flags waving in
the background."

I took exception to his belittling remark and reminded him of a few
facts that they have been trying to forget for a half a century.

They go on and on about knocking us "Yanks" our President, Our
government, our morals anything American. They want us to let them have
free shot at us but scream like hell when we remind them of a few fact
about themselves.

What is really sick is their silly replies.
Things like we sat on our hands until the Jap attack us. They don't want
to remember Pearl Harbor and they don't want us to either.
They can remember Their "Death March" but don't want to remember the
"Bataan Death March"

They really seem to think that it was our obligation to defend them,
when they couldn't or wouldn't do it for themselves

I've asked our critics to tell me what they done in WW2 for themselves
before we got in the War. They post about how they fought the Germans in
North Africa but they can't seem to understand that they let the German
get control of that whole area. They sure a hell don't remember the
Americans invading Casa Blanca and TOGETHER we drove the Hun back into
Europe.

They talk about Stalingrad but they seem to forget that we agreed, at
Pottsdam, with Stalin to open a second front to ease the pressure on the
Soviet (Normandy)

They (Our Critics) seem to resent us remembering TRUE history. They want
to remember History as they want it to be.
They can't except the fact that they were Losers in WW2 until America
became involved. They hadn't shown any, (Zero) offensive action until
the YANK took over.
Now, after the fact, they try to say we didn't get in the War until near
the End.
WE GOT IN AND ENDED THE DAMN WAR!!!

Now when we show our PRIDE it seems to bother them, Screw them (The
misguided Critics)

"REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!!!"
we will always remember how they died for Liberty!!! We will alway
remember those American Grave all over the World that are there because
the World couldn't take care of itself;

"I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!!"
Ole Thom

Thom Stewart December 11th 03 06:35 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

This is Ole Fart,

You poor sad Aussy Cry Baby, I requested one victory won that gained
one single yard of Axis territory before you had the YANKS on your side.
I'm still waiting

You talk about embellishment on Joe's story. Holy ****, read those
diaries you sent me to read, they are nothing but embellishment about
defeats. Also, check the dates on those stories. For your information
the Yanks were involved in that victory in New Guinea

Your boys fought a hell of a fight there. They gave the Jap everything
they got from them and more. You have a Right to be proud of them but so
do we. We brought your forces relief

I also know your people welcomed our defeated Army with open arms and
let us lick our wounds under your care. I REMEMBER IT with pride for
your people. Without AUSSIE help and the foothold they gave us, I'm not
sure how we would have fought back. Fought back we did Island by Island
right to the Jap Homeland in an Offensive War. In the Islands, in Burma,
in China.

It was the Yanks that turned WW2 Allied Forces into an Offences Force.
That is the FACT. Everywhere but in the Soviet. The Russians turn
themselves into an offence unit. That is another story. It's called the
Cold WAR.

Ole Thom

Donal December 11th 03 06:52 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Now when we show our PRIDE it seems to bother them, Screw them (The
misguided Critics)

Thom, I don't think that your pride is what causes offence.

The offence is caused by your apparent contempt for the efforts, suffering,
and 40(?) million non-Americans.

You are correct to feel enormous pride in what you, and your country did.
You are wrong to belittle the contributions made other nations.

"REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!!!"
we will always remember how they died for Liberty!!! We will alway
remember those American Grave all over the World

Good sentiment,

that are there because
the World couldn't take care of itself;

Bad sentiment!! This last part is pure conjecture, and very offensive.

Regards

Donal

Joe December 11th 03 08:43 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Peter Wiley wrote in message ...
This is another occasion where I agree with you, Oz. I hate that.

No kiddin, show just how stupid you are.

However, you never had your people killed in things like the Sandakan
death march, Changi or a lot of other places.

Peter,

Did you ever hear of the Battan death march? My grandfather was
there, and had several friends killed along the march. He was in the
PI as an oilfield worker and was given a line commission a week after
the japs attacked pearl harbor.

He spent the war as a POW at Sinagowa and I could go indepth about the
torture he received.

Do you know anyone that has been tied to a chair and had his legs
broken with a cast iron fire thongs. Grandpa did. He wasent a happy
camper about it, the only thing good that came out of it was he got to
go to the war crime trials in Tokyo and got to see the sorry jap that
did it hanged. All over stolen rice, stolen by Japs citizens that
worked at the camp

You sat all that stuff
out. We have long & bitter memories of WW2. The Japanese treated our
POW's atrociously. You guys let a lot of them off after the war was
over because the politics had changed.

We killed the worst of them.

We brought troops home from the Middle East to fight in the Pacific. We
were fighting the Axis powers in Africa while you guys were watching
from the sidelines and we fought them to a standstill with no help at
all from you. A lot of the countries down this way are still wary of us
because they know what we did and what we could do again if we decided
it was necessary. We had a lot of experience in jungle warfare while
you guys stayed home.

In other words you were useless until the USA stepped in and saved
you sorry asses huh?

FYI, it's also a matter of historic record that the Japanese weren't
going to try to take Australia. They just wanted us out of Asia. We
stopped them in PNG with little/no help from you guys.

It's real easy, Thom, to claim that nobody won an offensive battle
without the USA. Real easy - considering you sat it out until the tide
had turned.

Peter Wiley

Keep dreaming you un-grateful ****!

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Jonathan Ganz December 11th 03 11:01 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Why don't you get her books on tape or CD? Worked for my
dad... kept him going for quite a while.

Donny's Dilemma wrote in message

Thom, something you might be interested in.

Just got off the phone to my mum, I ring her every day or so as she's
nearly blind now and her health is failing pretty fast. Sharp as a
tack but her body is letting her down and now that her lifeblood,
reading, has gone, her spirit is flagging as well.

Anyway, our conversation here came up and she started talking about
her dad "Farv" we called him a name taken from the way his first
grandson, me, used the word "grandfather" when I first spoke to him.

To the point...
She mentioned that he never spoke of Australian, English,American nor
any other force individually,

He always referred the them as Allies, he saw the armies as one.

She then mentioned that he always referred to Gurkha troops as
"Gurkhas" out of respect for theirloyalty and resolve.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Thom Stewart December 11th 03 11:04 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Peter,

Your historical facts? Geez are they really screw up. Things in the
Pacific didn't turn around until after the "Battle of Midway"
A 100% Yankee operation. Your quoting facts that just aren't true.

Pearl Harbor date Dec 7 th, 1941. That was the Day that will live in
Infamy. When you use some of these God-knows where you get your fact,
please check the dates!

Again, I'll say it again. List a battle that was of a Offensive Nature
that was a Victory against the Axis Power before that date; (Dec 7,
1941) If your fact are correct and the Tide had changed as you say, You
should have no problem stating where you stated pushing the Japs back to
their Island Empire.

If you can't then I believe you can't say the War had change in the
Allies favor. Then you should give the Yanks some credit. If you can't
then;

SHUT THE HELL UP

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart December 11th 03 11:27 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Peter,

Once again you say we let a lot of "them go" Peter I was in WW2 and we
put a lot of JAP to death. How many did you Down-under fighters sentence
to death?

Don't make stupid statements about the Yanks when you've fallen way
short of their actions.

This whole discussion came about because of a stupid comment by OZ about
a story of American Pride at the statue of the Flag Rising at Iwo Jima.
Your statement are even dumber. If you're upset by my replies then prove
them wrong. If not except them, as OZ thought he'd get away with his
SNIDE comment about Joe's posting.

Ole Thom

Donal December 11th 03 11:28 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Again, I'll say it again. List a battle that was of a Offensive Nature
that was a Victory against the Axis Power before that date; (Dec 7,
1941) If your fact are correct and the Tide had changed as you say, You
should have no problem stating where you stated pushing the Japs back to
their Island Empire.

Thom,
You give the impression that you think that America would have won the war
without any help.

Do you believe that the US would have defeated the Japs without any
assistance?

Regards

Donal

Donal December 11th 03 11:46 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Donny's Dilemma wrote in message
On 11 Dec 2003 12:43:48 -0800, (Joe) wrote:
Have you ever heard of it?

6 of 2400 Australian prisoners survived

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...2/sandakan.htm

Read it, .... had to respond, ...... but can't think of anything to say!

Regards

Donal

Scott Vernon December 11th 03 11:51 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

donut, I'm pretty sure the Enola Gay was a Merican plane, w/ Merican
pilot/crew. Do you believe otherwise?

SV

"Donal" wrote

Donal December 11th 03 11:56 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
donut, I'm pretty sure the Enola Gay was a Merican plane, w/ Merican
pilot/crew. Do you believe otherwise?

Nope!

Does that mean that the US didn't need any assistance to beat the Japs?

Regards

Donal

Thom Stewart December 12th 03 12:22 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Donal,

I have no contempt of anyone in WW2. I admire the Fighting Qualities of
the Aussie and Kiwi's. I have nothing but admiration for the Native
Population that also fought by our side. No one can challeng the Brit
Defense Nature. They just didn't know how to Win,

I can't say I liked the Japs or the Huns but By Christ, I admire them as
fighters.
My problem is with the Yank haters that think they have unlimited access
to throw any snide comment, think they will be accepted as true if they
aren't objected to

Donal, have you noticed how upset you guys get when their stupid comment
are challenged? I think I have every right to state my facts. Don't
accuse me of statements or feeling I don't have to make a point. Anti
Yank replies are very, very creative. If you don't like the facts that I
use, prove them wrong. Don't make up your own statements and say they
are mine so that you have something to argue about.

You Yank Baiter have gotten my blood up this time.

Remember Pearl Harbor, 12/7/1941!!! That was the Day that America got
into the war (WW2) and lead the Allies to Victory. After the War Victory
came the Truman Doctrine including the Marshall Plan to aid those
defeated countries a chance to repair their infrastructure so that they
could regain their place among the Nations of the World ( Done by the
America Tax Payer) Was in affect until we went to war in Korea under the
UN Banner.

If you hit the U.S. with Snide Comments, Boy make sure your own shirt is
clean because I'm ready to strike back

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

By the way Donal, I'm still waiting for the battle that was the start of
the offense that lead to the defeat of the Axis that took place before
Dec 7, 1941. I do believe you, my friend were the first of the "Baiters"
I asked

Ole Thom

Peter Wiley December 12th 03 12:39 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

In article , DSK
wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote:

[...]

2 separate things. I agree with you WRT the reparations which
undoubtedly broke the Weimar Republic and led pretty directly to the
rise of the Nazi Party. doing the same after WW2 would have been
pointless and counterproductive. I disagree about treating war
criminals as such. The Japanese got off a lot more lightly than the
Germans did.

I'd prefer to not see two sets of blindly patriotic brinksmen shout at each other,
the facts are both more interesting & more useful.

Yep. I was responding in kind and I'm going to kill this thread.

PDW

The_navigator© December 12th 03 12:46 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Dear Thom,
I think you have forgotten about the battles in North Africa.
Cheers MC

Thom Stewart December 12th 03 12:57 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Donal,

You have done it again! Your taking YOUR IMPRESSION and implying that it
is mine. Cheap trick!!

WE fought WW2 as a team. You Yank-baiters are the ones that make comment
about a member of that team. Belittling, snide comments.

I'm asking you to prove you were winning the WAR before we joined the
team.

Since I asked for this proof I've heard about everything but. WERE THE
ALLIES WINNING THE WAR WITHOUT THE YANKS?

We'll talk about the Marshall Plan later and was it necessary

Ole Thom

The_navigator© December 12th 03 01:00 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Dear Thom,
Do Naval battles count?
Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 12th 03 01:05 AM

Remember Pearl Harbor!;

Dear Thom

What about the battle of the Coral Sea?

Cheers MC