BoatBanter.com

-   -   Monster waves (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18619-monster-waves.html)

Rick December 4th 03 08:38 PM

Monster waves

Monster waves boost for sea perils defence

Research says freak waves more frequent than previously thought, writes
James Brewer December 02 2003 Lloyds List

"SHIPS are far more at peril from monster ocean waves than many experts
have previously realised, according to new research. Growing evidence
that waves of more than 30 m in height can occur randomly ..."

"During a three-week radar satellite study, the German Aerospace Centre
found a total of 10 monster waves around the world, ranging from 26 m to
30 m in height."

"It concluded: 'If the satellite data is right, it looks as if freak
waves occur in the deep ocean far more frequently than the traditional
linear model would predict.'"

Your are perfectly safe, Nil. Since they tend to occur far more
frequently in the deep ocean, odds are overwhelming that you will never
see one.

Rick

The_navigator© December 4th 03 08:47 PM

Monster waves

That's interesting beacuse most of the static wave height measurements
suggested a rather low frequency of monster waves. Over what time scale
and area was this measurement?

Cheers MC

Simple Simon December 4th 03 08:48 PM

Monster waves

Those monster waves don't cause me any fear or
trepidation. The odds of myself or any boat being
where they are when they are is still relatively
slim. Besides, you seem to forget my fine yacht
has positive flotation. Even if it gets rolled over
a couple times I will be able to bale it out and
get under way again.

S.Simon

Rick December 4th 03 08:53 PM

Monster waves

The_navigator© wrote:

That's interesting beacuse most of the static wave height measurements
suggested a rather low frequency of monster waves. Over what time scale
and area was this measurement?

The article stated:

"During a three-week radar satellite study, the German Aerospace Centre
found a total of 10 monster waves around the world, ranging from 26 m
to 30 m in height."

I read that as 10 waves worldwide in a 3 weeks time.

Rick

Bobsprit December 4th 03 09:42 PM

Monster waves

a couple times I will be able to bale it out and
get under way again.

S.Simon

After encountering a 30 metre wave?
Now that I'd like to see!

When Neal types such things it only makes it even more clear that he's no
sailor.
Add to that the following: That he chose one of the cheapest boats around and
you get the whole picture. A real sailor would have chosen a Cape Dory 30, any
alberg or Bristol or even an old Pearson Wanderer. All better in every way and
proven designs. Instead he lives on a tiny cramped vessel known to be poor in
nearly every regard anc quite comely as well.

RB

otnmbrd December 4th 03 09:50 PM

Monster waves

My last recollection of a reported "monster wave" was the one which hit
the liner Michaelangelo (or it's sister), and stove in a good portion of
the forward side of the house.
From reports, it's not necessarily the size of the wave (30m is not
common but not unheard of in open ocean storms) but the fact that it may
appear during an otherwise calm condition, unexpectedly when the ship is
least apt to be at a speed and/or heading to deal with it.

otn

Jeff Morris December 4th 03 10:38 PM

Monster waves

They don't say what spacecraft was used for the observation. To get that
resolution, it had to be in low orbit. I'd guess some type of radar might work,
but the target area would be small, perhaps less than 100 miles. This might
mean that this was 10 monster waves within a 10,000 square miles in 3 weeks,
which seems quite high.

Some clarification is needed. Do we have an original link?

"Rick" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Bobsprit December 4th 03 11:02 PM

Monster waves

nearly every regard anc quite comely as well.

RB

Comely? Didn't you mean homely?

I meant to say "Not comely."

RB

Simple Simon December 4th 03 11:54 PM

Monster waves

Do you agree with me that such a monster wave is more
likely to damage a large ship than a cockle shell that
will likely ride up and over with little or no damage?

S.Simon

"otnmbrd" wrote in message hlink.net...
My last recollection of a reported "monster wave" was the one which hit
the liner Michaelangelo (or it's sister), and stove in a good portion of
the forward side of the house.
From reports, it's not necessarily the size of the wave (30m is not

Rick December 4th 03 11:57 PM

Monster waves

wrote:

Neal will never get hit by that wave. His customized boom doubles as a divining
rod, and will warn him of it's approach by shaking and flexing violently. I
suggest he attach a bell to the boom-end to serve as an audible alarm in case
he's down below lounging on his gayboy lavender cushions.

ROFL ... good one, your best so far.

I wonder how much his compass swings from all the iron in that
"seaworthy" boom.

Rick

Rick December 4th 03 11:59 PM

Monster waves

Jeff Morris wrote:

Some clarification is needed. Do we have an original link?

December 2nd Lloyd's List.

Maybe Google the German study for online info.

Rick

Rick December 5th 03 12:15 AM

Monster waves

Simple Simon wrote:

Do you agree with me that such a monster wave is more
likely to damage a large ship than a cockle shell that
will likely ride up and over with little or no damage?

On what do you base your silly assumption, Nil? If you had ever seen a
30 meter wave you probably die of fear but assuming the worst and you
lived you wouldn't need to ask.

Your little insult to cockle shells would be reduced to a debris field
of plastic waste rather than the offensive agglomeration it is now.

Rick

Simple Simon December 5th 03 12:33 AM

Monster waves

You are about as stupid as the other motor boat captains
who continue to plague this group even though I have pointed
out time and time again how unwelcome they all are.

Big rogue waves are not necessarily breaking waves. You
should realize this. Don't you even recall the fact that in
the open ocean, off soundings tsunamis are not even noticeable
from the deck of a ship or a sailboat. This is because even
thought they may be 100 feet tall they have such a long
wave length that are more like the rise and fall of the tide
than a wave.

Not all rogue waves are like you poor motorboat schmucks
envision. You idiots watch movies like the "Perfect Storm"
and see some stupid fishing boat attempting to motor up
the face of a huge breaking wave and think that is how
it is done. Any fool knows that is NOT how it is done in
a sailboat.

Any ballasted sailboat has a much greater ability to remain
upright on the face of such a rogue wave than a motorboat
without such an advantageous stability curve.

Now, back to the question of big ships being more damaged
by these freak waves. Yes, they are. They can be stove in
because they present far more area to water crashing down
on the structure and they are not designed to survive such
forces. Small vessels have smaller surface area and only
need to withstand much smaller forces. If this were not
the case one would not see so many unbroken light bulbs
littering the beaches where such fragile items have landed
after voyages of thousands of sea miles.

Try using your head for something else than growing lice
and dandruff.

Scott Vernon December 5th 03 12:45 AM

Monster waves

Funny, we don't hear Neal talk of his ''next boat'', or call his Coronado a
''stepping stone''. He seems quite satisfied with the boat he OWNS.

Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie
Balt. MD USA

"****Head" wrote

Peter Wiley December 5th 03 12:47 AM

Monster waves

Of more interest is the wave period (length) as a measure of steepness.
Doesn't matter if it's a huge wave as long as it isn't steep and/or
breaking. Just a bulge in the ocean, who cares????

PDW

The_navigator© December 5th 03 12:48 AM

Monster waves

It's true. He's one of many here that love their boat. While many of us
would like something different, it's a bit like comparing a pretty girl
on the street to your partner, she may may not be quite a 'luxurious' or
'fast' but she's all you really need and you love her -even for her
imperfections.

Cheers MC

otnmbrd December 5th 03 12:51 AM

Monster waves

Simple Simon wrote:
Do you agree with me that such a monster wave is more
likely to damage a large ship than a cockle shell that
will likely ride up and over with little or no damage?

S.Simon

No .... it depends entirely on the circumstances, when it hits .....
height; breaking or not; angle it hits you; speed you're making at the
time; basic stability .... so on and so forth.

otn

Bobsprit December 5th 03 12:52 AM

Monster waves

Funny, we don't hear Neal talk of his ''next boat'', or call his Coronado a
''stepping stone''. He seems quite satisfied with the boat he OWNS.

When it comes to loyalty to a boat, a true sailor is only as faithful as their
options.
Scotty and Neal have none.

RB

The_navigator© December 5th 03 12:52 AM

Monster waves

If it were a trochoidal wave in deep ocean its velocity would be huge
and possibly approaching supersonic speeds (I think). No, I think it
must be due to superposition of shorter waves.

Cheers MC

Bobsprit December 5th 03 12:53 AM

Monster waves

Funny, we don't hear Neal talk of his ''next boat'', or call his Coronado a
''stepping stone''. He seems quite satisfied with the boat he OWNS.

Hey, look! A Siedleman owner comes to the defense of a Coronado owner!

RB

otnmbrd December 5th 03 01:04 AM

Monster waves

comments interspersed:

Simple Simon wrote:
You are about as stupid as the other motor boat captains
who continue to plague this group even though I have pointed
out time and time again how unwelcome they all are.

Big rogue waves are not necessarily breaking waves. You
should realize this. Don't you even recall the fact that in
the open ocean, off soundings tsunamis are not even noticeable
from the deck of a ship or a sailboat. This is because even
thought they may be 100 feet tall they have such a long
wave length that are more like the rise and fall of the tide
than a wave.

I think you'll find that a Tsunami, doesn't gain height until it
approaches shoaling water, but agree, that a "rogue" is not necessarily
a breaking wave.

Not all rogue waves are like you poor motorboat schmucks
envision. You idiots watch movies like the "Perfect Storm"
and see some stupid fishing boat attempting to motor up
the face of a huge breaking wave and think that is how
it is done. Any fool knows that is NOT how it is done in
a sailboat.

BG I don't need Hollywood to show me 30cm waves .... been dere done
dat, and normally, if we are in a storm like that we will endeavor to be
taking those seas on the bow, rather than head on, but a rogue doesn't
always give you the time to set this up (sometimes, head on is all you
can do BG and you're happy to be able to do that).

Any ballasted sailboat has a much greater ability to remain
upright on the face of such a rogue wave than a motorboat
without such an advantageous stability curve.

G now your an expert on stability? I doubt it.

Now, back to the question of big ships being more damaged
by these freak waves. Yes, they are. They can be stove in
because they present far more area to water crashing down
on the structure and they are not designed to survive such
forces. Small vessels have smaller surface area and only
need to withstand much smaller forces. If this were not
the case one would not see so many unbroken light bulbs
littering the beaches where such fragile items have landed
after voyages of thousands of sea miles.

Your general lack of experience is showing again .... stick to small
sailboats in Tampa Bay.

otn

Jonathan Ganz December 5th 03 01:05 AM

Monster waves

And that's one of the few, very few, things that can be said in a positive
way about Neal. He's got a boat, he loves it, and that's what counts in
the long term.

Simple Simon December 5th 03 01:10 AM

Monster waves

Poor Booby, he knows nothing but his childish insistence
upon appearances. He is motivated primarily by what
others might think of his stuff. His entire life revolves
around trying to please other people with his stuff.
What he will never learn that unless his stuff pleases
HIM he is wasting his time with it. I'm afraid no boat
will ever please Booby, however. The reason being he
cannot eat it.

S.Simon

Scott Vernon December 5th 03 01:15 AM

Monster waves

"****Head" couldn't think of anything intelligent to say
so he wrote

Bobsprit December 5th 03 01:20 AM

Monster waves

"****Head" couldn't think of anything intelligent to say
so he wrote

Oh, the irony!

RB

Simple Simon December 5th 03 01:23 AM

Monster waves

I'm not the one bragging about being aboard boats that
get structure stove in by large waves am I? I've sailed
up and down many a fifty footer with no problem. Any and
all structure aboard my boat is still intact and shows
no wave damage.

I'll admit I've never even seen a hundred-footer in person
but that's because I'm smart enough to avoid them. Can
you claim the same?

Simple Simon December 5th 03 01:36 AM

Monster waves

We have a little old current around this neck of the woods
called the Gulf Stream. In the wintertime when we get
northers the wind acts against the current and produces
fifty-foot, short period waves on a regular basis.

If you are ever up this way I'll take you out into the
axis of the Steam in a northerly gale and show you a
fifty footer or two. I've been out there and been in
sight of very large ships that went completely out of
sight behind such waves.

Just because you're always sailing in the lee of your
little islands does not mean real waves don't occur
in other places.

S.Simon

Donnys Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:23:55 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

I'm not the one bragging about being aboard boats that
get structure stove in by large waves am I? I've sailed
up and down many a fifty footer with no problem. Any and
all structure aboard my boat is still intact and shows
no wave damage.

Bull**** Cappy!
You've never seen a 15metre wave in your life!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

otnmbrd December 5th 03 01:57 AM

Monster waves

BG Comments interspersed .... I see you didn't want to touch the
subjects of tsunami's and stability. Your lack of knowledge and
inexperience showing again?

Simple Simon wrote:
I'm not the one bragging about being aboard boats that
get structure stove in by large waves am I?

Didn't see any bragging on my part, and considering the potential for
damage to that ship, what she sustained and survived would be considered
acceptable.

I've sailed
up and down many a fifty footer with no problem. Any and
all structure aboard my boat is still intact and shows
no wave damage.

Doubt you've ever seen a 50 footer. You haven't done enough deep sea
sailing. If by chance you had seen even a 30 footer ..... we all get lucky.

I'll admit I've never even seen a hundred-footer in person
but that's because I'm smart enough to avoid them. Can
you claim the same?

Once again, your lack of experience showing. If you go to sea long
enough, where you are trying to get from point A to point B, you are
bound to run into conditions that mean you will have to deal with some
serious weather. You can avoid some things, but others you just have to
deal with.
I remember a picture which was making the rounds of the web, showing a
tanker in heavy weather, going to Alaska. I have been Master of that
tanker, on that run, and seen the same .... sometimes you are stuck
dealing with what you are dealt, and in the case of a rogue, you
generally have no fore warning, which means, in your case, odds on, we
wouldn't be having this discussion if you had ever run across one.
BG Try as you might, Neal, you will never see the conditions, I've
seen.... and to be honest, I hope you don't.

otn

Rick December 5th 03 02:15 AM

Monster waves

otnmbrd wrote:

I remember a picture which was making the rounds of the web, showing a
tanker in heavy weather, going to Alaska. I have been Master of that
tanker, on that run, and seen the same .... sometimes you are stuck
dealing with what you are dealt, and in the case of a rogue, you
generally have no fore warning, which means, in your case, odds on, we
wouldn't be having this discussion if you had ever run across one.
BG Try as you might, Neal, you will never see the conditions, I've
seen.... and to be honest, I hope you don't.

All of us who have sailed on the Valdez run had a more than a fair share
of that kind of seas. When we started running from Valdez to the Far
East is when it got really nasty and on one trip we really did have 30
meter waves for several days straight with winds steady in the 80's and
gusting to over a hundred. Could hardly tell the difference between sea
and sky most of the time. Nil would have crawled into a lifeboat and
cried if he could have made it that far.

Would love to have Nil experience that sometime. Would shut the fool up
maybe if he didn't move to Kansas. Either way if it got him off the
water the seas would be a lot safer. Of course by the sound of his
seamanship and general nautical knowledge I am not sure he has much
contact with the sea aside from buying canned tuna anyway.

Rick

Rick December 5th 03 02:20 AM

Monster waves

Simple Simon wrote:

I've been out there and been in
sight of very large ships that went completely out of
sight behind such waves.

Have you ever been out on a boat, Nil?

Consider that on your tiny toy boat your height of eye is about 6 feet
and the trough of nearly any wave or swell will put you out of sight of
anything over a few dozen feet away in the trough of another wave or swell.

What a frigging idiot ... Simple, yes.

Mariner? Bwahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Rick

otnmbrd December 5th 03 02:25 AM

Monster waves

Comments interspersed:

Simple Simon wrote:
We have a little old current around this neck of the woods
called the Gulf Stream. In the wintertime when we get
northers the wind acts against the current and produces
fifty-foot, short period waves on a regular basis.

BS. Although you will see some nasty seas on the East Coast of Fla,
during NE Gales, 50 footers are rare (generally not enough fetch to
develop them until you clear the Bahamas) Doubt you've ever been out
there to experience them.

If you are ever up this way I'll take you out into the
axis of the Steam in a northerly gale and show you a
fifty footer or two. I've been out there and been in
sight of very large ships that went completely out of
sight behind such waves.

ROFL

Just because you're always sailing in the lee of your
little islands does not mean real waves don't occur
in other places.

Give it a rest, Neal. You rarely leave Tampa Bay

S.Simon

Simple Simon December 5th 03 02:27 AM

Monster waves

Hey, putz. I was on top of one wave and the ship in the trough of
another a ways off and it went out of sight. I know you've never
been in such seas but please try to imagine them at least.

Simple Simon December 5th 03 02:30 AM

Monster waves

I love it when the tugboat captains all get together
and stroke each other's flagging egos. Their old
memories are those of a fisherman who caught a
minnow which grew into a whale in the telling . . .

otnmbrd December 5th 03 02:39 AM

Monster waves

ROFLMAO Didn't think you'd be able to come up with any response that
would show any experience with "heavy weather". Stick to the Bay, Neal,
we'll all be safer

Rick December 5th 03 02:59 AM

Monster waves

Simple Simon wrote: