N1EE

Default Comparison: Capri 37, Mumm 36, J-109

Doug, you got me thinking about the
Capri 37 in comparison to other boats.
I wanted to compare it to the Olson 40
but could not find the specs on that
boat.

It is amazing that the J-109 can do
what the Capri 37 can, with respect to
performance, while bringing along a
cruising interior.

The Mumm 36 is a very fast boat with
probably more space on the inside,
blistering speed, and twice the cost.
It is also a boat with substantially
more resale value than the Capri 37.

These numbers below show the comparison
between the older heavier designed
Capri 37 vs. a more modern racing boat,
the Mumm 36, and a modern racer/cruiser,
the J-109.

I think the Capri 37, built with modern
SCRIMP technology and with a lighter keel
could shave off 3000 lbs, and increase
it's performance substantially.

Other boats rating around 72 are the
Express 37 (75), J-37, J-41, J-35 (75),
C&C 4, Baltic 42 DP, Baltic 46, and
BENETEAU 473 SD.

Capri 37 Mumm 36 J-109
Price range $40k ~$80k $220k (new)
Length: 37'4" 35'10" 35'3"
LWL: 30'6" 31'9" 30'6"
Beam: 12'0" 11'10" 11'6"
Draft: 7'0" 7'4" 7'0"
Dis.(lbs.): 11,000 8,150 10,900
Ballast: 4,700 3,500 3,900
PHRF" 72-75 42-45 72

So the Capri 37, a nice design has been
overcome by newer technology, but while
not the ideal choice for racing or
cruising still has can give it's crew
a huge amount of fun with spartan
accomodations.

Bart Senior
SAIL LOCO

And that's what it should be about for most people. Fun for $ spent. When
people ask me if I am going to get a bigger boat I always say I wouldn't have
twice as much fun.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
DSK

N1EE wrote:

Doug, you got me thinking about the
Capri 37 in comparison to other boats.
I wanted to compare it to the Olson 40
but could not find the specs on that
boat.

Okay, I got specs o' plenty. Table below. You'll
love the ballast displacement ratio on the O40.
Not much interior though, but it does pass the
capsize screen.

It is amazing that the J-109 can do
what the Capri 37 can, with respect to
performance, while bringing along a
cruising interior.

Well, the J-109 has a pretty nice nterior but I
wouldn't call it a "cruising interior." Maybe I'm
just spoiled? Does it have a water heater & and
oven... gotta have fresh bisquits or you're not
cruising.

These numbers below show the comparison
between the older heavier designed
Capri 37 vs. a more modern racing boat,
the Mumm 36, and a modern racer/cruiser,
the J-109.

I think the Capri 37, built with modern
SCRIMP technology and with a lighter keel
could shave off 3000 lbs, and increase
it's performance substantially.

Well, take off the ballast and the Capri 37 has
about 6300# of fiberglass or a bit less. So you're
talking about a 50% reduction... possible,
especially considering that it was built on a
production line without a good reputation for
strong & light construction... but it would take
some slick engineering and probably a lot of
advanced material.

Other boats rating around 72 are the
Express 37 (75), J-37, J-41, J-35 (75),
C&C 4, Baltic 42 DP, Baltic 46, and
BENETEAU 473 SD.

The Serendipity 42, a very nice Doug Peterson
design, rates there or a bit lower too. Schock 35,
Santana 35, Frers 38 and Frers 41, which would
probably be my pick or the Baltic 42DP. The J-41
is a bit freakish especially for a J-boat, and
doesn't have much more interior than the Capri 37.
The Soverel 39 has a decent cabin and is a nice
boat too.

So the Capri 37, a nice design has been
overcome by newer technology, but while
not the ideal choice for racing or
cruising still has can give it's crew
a huge amount of fun with spartan
accomodations.

Yep, watching the Congressional Cup and some of
the other events sailed in this boat, I get the
impression they are fun to sail. Not as fast as
the real hot rods but then probably not as
quarrelsome either.

Thanks for the data table, here's my contribution
FWIW.

Boat Olson 40 Aerodyne38 C&C 110 Soverel
39
LOA 40.3 37.7
36.3 38.4
LWL 36 34.3
31.5 31.6
Bm 10.5 13
12 12.5
Draft 6.6 7.8
6 7.5
Disp 10230 11250
10900 11500
Ballast 7100 4150
4200 ?
SA 475 907
730 799
S/D 16.2 29
23.8 25.2
D/L 98 124
156 163
PHRF 48 45
66 60

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

SAIL LOCO

Well, the J-109 has a pretty nice nterior but I
wouldn't call it a "cruising interior."

Right. The fact that you spend all your time bent over is the reason the 109
was born.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

Woops, sorry I thought the discussion was about the 105.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

DSK

SAIL LOCO wrote:

Woops, sorry I thought the discussion was about the 105.

I think the 109 is bigger inside but still kinda skimpy on
amenities & stowage. The J-105 is more of a weekender. When
we checked one out at a boat show, my wife marvelled that
they could use up 34 feet of boat and put so little inside.
And the super-soaker V-berth is not my idea of fun either.
But a lot of people really like these boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

SAIL LOCO

I think the 109 is bigger inside but still kinda skimpy on
amenities & stowage. The J-105 is more of a weekender. When
we checked one out at a boat show, my wife marvelled that
they could use up 34 feet of boat and put so little inside.
And the super-soaker V-berth is not my idea of fun either.

I've been on both. The 109 has stand up head room and includes more of a
"cruising" interior. As far as the V berth goes I've heard that all bow sprits
leak. I assume that's what you were refering to. Js are popular w/ people who
like the one design thing events etc. If I were to buy new in that size range
I'd buy a C&C99 or an X-Yacht. I wouldn't want to have to spend the "keep up
w/ the competition money" every year. Plus I'd be spending 6 times what I
spent on my present boat and I doubt if I'd have 6 times the fun.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

Plus I'd be spending 6 times what I
spent on my present boat and I doubt if I'd have 6 times the fun.

This must be the new math, applied to the "fun" factor.
If you had a C&C99 or my upcoming C&C 34XL you'd have more fun. Not 6 times
more, but certainly more.
Anyone want to crunch the numbers on this?

RB

Mumm 36 Gavin Brown General 2 February 20th 04 05:43 PM
FS: Catalina Capri 18 in Phoenix, AZ Clickbox Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 11:31 PM
Catalina Capri 18 FS Clickbox General 0 February 18th 04 11:06 PM
FS: 1981 Capri 25' Club Racer in N. Florida Blue Water Bay Yachts, Inc. Marketplace 0 February 13th 04 09:45 PM
Thinking about buying a 98 Bayliner Capri news.verizon.net General 7 October 14th 03 02:53 AM