BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is your vessel seaworthy? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18599-your-vessel-seaworthy.html)

The_navigator© December 2nd 03 08:50 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

It seems to me that there is not much idea around here as to what
constitutes seaworthiness. Here in NZ the conditions are more
challenging than in many other places and to sail offshore requires
great attention to detail and sound knowlege of your vessel. Many people
here might consider their vessels "seaworthy", but let me remind you
that seworthiness is a state of preparedness and safely for major
passages and suitabiliuty for storm conditions.

Here in NZ we have to get vessels inspected every 2 years for their
seaworthiness and without a CAT1 clearance the vessel is not allowed to
leave (if owned by a NZ resident). The inspection takes up to ~2 hours
and the inspector also questions the skipper on hisd seamanship (it
helps if you already have qualifications like Ocean yactmaster or even
Coastal skipper) for it is also the application his knowlege that makes
the vessel seaworthy (or not). In many cases vessel arrive here from
overseas which are patently unseaworthy and these days they are allowed
to leave -after a strong talking to by the inspector as to why their
vessels are unsuitable and what will likely happen to them in bad
conditions. For that reason, it would seem that many US and EU vessels
arrive but never leave.

When the real sailor thinks about his vessel he thinks about how she
will cope if hit by storm force winds in the open sea if he wishes to
call his vessel seaworthy. If the vessel is not seworthy then it is just
a toy for amusement on nice fair wind days. The question is, to you
have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

Cheers MC

felton December 2nd 03 09:20 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:50:08 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

. The question is, to you have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

Cheers MC

I have one. It's in my attic next to my Christmas tree, but as it was
a "yes or no" question....:)

felton December 2nd 03 10:03 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:41:57 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

What's the use of it there?

Cheers MC

Well, as I sail on a lake I probably don't need one at all, but it is
a handy thing to have if the weather looks iffy. It is surprising how
well a boat can move with a flat little blade and a double reefed
main. Although I keep a 110 on the furler, I would be the first to
admit that you can't get any sort of acceptable sailshape by reefing a
furling headsail. At least I have never have.

two wheels December 2nd 03 10:14 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 10:17 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

My vessel is seaworthy. I would get really ****ed if I had sailed
to NZ and some fool bureaucrat tried to tell me my vessel was
not seaworthy. The very fact that the bureaucrat was looking
at it proves him wrong.

I have a storm jib and a storm trysail. I have a 75% jib and
double reefing on the mainsail. All my sails are relatively new
and the storm sails have very little use so they are still strong
and sound.

My vessel has all new standing rigging and positive flotation.
I don't need some nerdy bureaucrat snooping around demanding
fees for 'services' which are not wanted or needed.

S.Simon

Donal December 2nd 03 10:46 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

The question is, to you
have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

I suspect that my boat is "seaworthy" in the same sense that Ella is.

No, I don't have a strom jib.

I have a spinnaker that can be flown in up to 34kts! Does that count?

Regards

Donal

The_navigator© December 2nd 03 10:49 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

What's the use of it there?

Cheers MC

Well, as I sail on a lake I probably don't need one at all, but it is
a handy thing to have if the weather looks iffy. It is surprising how
well a boat can move with a flat little blade and a double reefed
main. Although I keep a 110 on the furler, I would be the first to
admit that you can't get any sort of acceptable sailshape by reefing a
furling headsail. At least I have never have.

Quite so. When using the roller furler, with a padded luff I can get an
OK shape if I furl my #2 by no more than 10%. This extends the useful
wind range by about 5 knots but no more IMHO. If I was planning more
extensive off shore cruising I would love twin headstays, but I mostly
use the foil with #1, #2 jenoas and a #3 blade.

Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 2nd 03 10:53 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Ah, you've not watched "my pumpkin the weather girl" have you??? But
seriously, I told you my computer was infected with Katytipe.
;-)
Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 2nd 03 10:56 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

I'm sure you vessel would be recognised for it's state of preparedness!
I bet you have everything properly stowed and tied down too in case of
knockdown. I'd like to hear about your provisions for emergency steerage
and rudder loss. Also, do you have SSB and a radio operators licence?

Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 2nd 03 11:06 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

The question is, to you
have a toy or a seaworthy vessel? How many people here even have a strom
jib?

I suspect that my boat is "seaworthy" in the same sense that Ella is.

Has your boat been inspected?

No, I don't have a strom jib.

I have a spinnaker that can be flown in up to 34kts! Does that count?

Ever tried it in 34 knots?

Cheers MC

felton December 2nd 03 11:10 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

wrote:

What's the use of it there?

Cheers MC

Well, as I sail on a lake I probably don't need one at all, but it is
a handy thing to have if the weather looks iffy. It is surprising how
well a boat can move with a flat little blade and a double reefed
main. Although I keep a 110 on the furler, I would be the first to
admit that you can't get any sort of acceptable sailshape by reefing a
furling headsail. At least I have never have.

Quite so. When using the roller furler, with a padded luff I can get an
OK shape if I furl my #2 by no more than 10%. This extends the useful
wind range by about 5 knots but no more IMHO. If I was planning more
extensive off shore cruising I would love twin headstays, but I mostly
use the foil with #1, #2 jenoas and a #3 blade.

Cheers MC

I have always been a bit perplexed and amused that so many sailors
only have one headsail and it is almost invariably a 150 around here.
Things get pretty ugly when the wind picks up, but the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop:)

Donal December 2nd 03 11:12 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donals Dilemma wrote in message

You sail in the Channel and don't have a storm jib?
Better check your life insurance, most won't pay up on suicide :-)

A 34kt spinnaker....and then...

..... spare halyards, snap-shackels(sp?), and a hard hat for the bowman!!

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 11:14 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

All lockers and hatches can be dogged in place. Everything
should stay put even in a knockdown or rollover.

I don't have a single sideband transceiver. In my opinion it is
not necessary on a small cruiser. A good short-wave radio with
single sideband receiving capabilities is good enough. I have
a Grundig Yachtboy. One learns by listening not by running
one's mouth.

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 11:32 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:14:13 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

The outboard motor can be used for steerage if the rudder
breaks off. I have suitable wood and nuts and bolts to make
a foil to attach to the shaft of the outboard motor which
pivots.

You can bolt taht all in place in a seaway in adverse conditions
without falling over the side?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 11:48 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

The outboard has a twenty inch shaft and the cutaway
in the transom is only about a foot above the water.
The motor stays in the water pretty well. Remember
there is a pretty nice stern wave when making way
through he water.

Not the aluminum windsurfer masts. They are pretty crush proof.

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:32:26 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

No problem!

As long as the fuel holds out the boat can be steered with
the motor in gear and the throttle just above an idle. That
should allow some time to steer through or wait out adverse
conditions.

I didn't know that they built outboards with shafts long enough to
stay in the water as the boat pitches thruogh a wild sea....when most
rudders break.

And your OB doesn't look unusually long, must be the camera angle eh
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Sheshines.html

The motor can be taken off the transom without too
much trouble and the wood fitted in the safety of
the cockpit but this would best be done in calmer
conditions for safety and to keep from losing the
motor overboard. In the meantime, I have two
windsurfing masts aboard which I could easily
make into a steering oar lashed to the transom

So you don't know anything about the mechanical properties of a
windsurfer mast either.....they crush easily...

S.Simon

katysails December 2nd 03 11:50 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop:)

Definition of a Catalina sailor....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 11:54 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

In force 8 in the open sea I would heave-to under storm trysail. A rudder
would not be necessary as the trysail would keep her forereaching.

A storm severe enough to break off the rudder would be a survival
storm. Repairs would have to be made AFTER the storm passed.
A rudder is only necessary when going to weather. Heaving-to
or lying-to under storm trysail requires no rudder.

Simple Simon December 2nd 03 11:56 PM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Hey, a lot of successful voyaging has to do as much with
seamanship as it has to do with a seaworthy vessel. Poor
seamanship can result in the loss of even the stoutest
vessel.

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:00 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

I've got two telescoping jib poles as well. They are long enough
when not expanded and very strong with triple layers of tubing.

If the windsurfer masts carried away the jib poles could be
pressed into service.

What's all this concern with broken rudders? Mine is sound.
It has lasted for thirty years and has a two-inch stainless
steel shaft. It ain't likely to break.

The_navigator© December 3rd 03 12:04 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

That was exactly my point ans why the skippers knowledge is a factor in
deciding vessel sea worthiness. Some can take a 'weak' vessel and nurse
her while others let the **** get beaten out of the boat and loose big
strong vessels.

On one delivery job, when a halyard parted the skipper/owner practiaclly
wanted to get the life raft out !

I've also heard of super yachts being abandoned when they lost their
rigs 'cos the people on board didn't know what to do. That skipper is
still being sought by the authorities I believe and may have scuttled
off to the med or islands.

Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 3rd 03 12:08 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

I wonder when you last saw the tangs? SS corrodes very quickly in an
anaerobic environment.

Cheers MC

felton December 3rd 03 12:16 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:50:55 -0500, "katysails"
wrote:

the new boat buyers
seem to be convinced that the key to performance is the big headsail,
wing keel and 3 bladed prop:)

Definition of a Catalina sailor....

That is who I was referring to:) My previous slip neighbor had all
that and dinghy davits with an inflatable complete with 15hp outboard
hanging off the back of his new Catalina 36. Mighty salty for our
lake:)

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:17 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Can't see tangs unless I had the thing x-rayed. Putting my
faith in quality Coronado construction. I have never read
a single, solitary report of rudder failure on any Coronado
27. I wonder how it would be possible. My rudder is free
to swing 360 degrees. Unless the tiller was tied rigidly
in place there is little strain on the rudder/rudder stock.
I use bungee cords a lot for self steering and they have
lots of give and would break well before the rudder would.

Ya gotta be smart if ya wanna be a successful sailor like me.

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:23 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

You don't know my boat. I do. So shut the hole
under your pimply nose.

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:54:51 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

In force 8 in the open sea I would heave-to under storm trysail. A rudder
would not be necessary as the trysail would keep her forereaching.

She'd weathercock in a blink!!!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:26 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:56:07 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Hey, a lot of successful voyaging has to do as much with
seamanship as it has to do with a seaworthy vessel. Poor
seamanship can result in the loss of even the stoutest
vessel.

S.Simon

And going to sea ill prepared is a recipe for disaster.

True but it should be every man's right to do as he
damn well pleases without some big brother interference.

As long as a man goes out and drowns himself and doesn't
call in rescuers it's his own affair. If and when any sailor
calls in rescuers all expenses should be born by the caller.

To hell with government interference in such mundane
and personal choices such as sailing.

S.Simon

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:30 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:00:57 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:
You've no idea how many times I've heard that from owners of yachts
that later come in for rudders. 4" shafts snap like twigs when a yacht
is driven backward by a breaking wave.

That's due to poor design. Any 'barn door' rudder can not
be expected to take the strain on the hinges when it fetches
us hard against the stops.

But, my rudder is free to turn through 360 degrees. How's it gonna
break off when pushed backwards? It will just pivot around on its
axis so the leading edge is leading. Superior design in every way!

S.Simon

The_navigator© December 3rd 03 12:31 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

I see your point. Trouble is that they set off EPIRBS and/or relatives
demand they be rescued...

Cheers MC

The_navigator© December 3rd 03 12:33 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Where does the tiller go during this propellor action? Does it whip you
into submission?

Cheers MC

Donal December 3rd 03 12:34 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:12:21 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

Donals Dilemma wrote in message
.. .

You sail in the Channel and don't have a storm jib?
Better check your life insurance, most won't pay up on suicide :-)

A 34kt spinnaker....and then...

.... spare halyards, snap-shackels(sp?), and a hard hat for the bowman!!

You really do sail a fragile piece of junk then?

It really did feel like that the last time! We came into port with only
*one* halyard! (bear in mind that we knew that we needed a halyard to get
someone up the mast!)

Mind you, it was one *hell* of a trip! I suspect that even you would have
admitted that you would have enjoyed it.

Nobody wore pantyhose!

Regards

Donal

Donal December 3rd 03 12:36 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
Don't forget the jack lines, harnesses, life belts...

Phhhhttt!

We don't have "inspectors" here ..... yet!

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon December 3rd 03 12:39 AM

Is your vessel seaworthy?

Make it known beforehand that any and all rescues be
paid for by those who are rescued and their families.

If a rescuer dies in the rescue process then payments
to his widow should also be part of the process. This
would put a stop to all this hollering for rescues when
wimp sailors get so much as a tummy ache.