Gilligan

Default Master and Commander - bleh!

Who cares about the British Navy?

I want to see Mel Gibson make a movie about the oldest commisioned ship in
the US fleet - the USS Constitution!

I want to see British cannonballs bouncing off her sides as she defeats two
equal British ships by sailing backwards!

I want to see the British (and others) tuck tail and run when they see Old
Glory!

I want to see American medium bombers flying off of aircraft carriers (minus
that whining Van Johnson), atomic bombs dropped from B-29's, farmers from
Westchester running off the Black Watch, George Patton and Lewis Puller!!

The only movie that ever portrayed Americans for what they really are is
Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" - not one wimpy or wishy washy Yank in the
entire film!

Gilligan

two wheels

I have it penciled in for Monday Night. Can't wait.

- ------------------

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...master14f.html

"Master and Commander" is grand and glorious, and touching in its
attention to its characters. Like the work of David Lean, it achieves
the epic without losing sight of the human, and to see it is to be
reminded of the way great action movies can rouse and exhilarate us,
can affirm life instead of simply dramatizing its destruction.

(By Roger Ebert)

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2003/11/1...es/14MAST.html

In Mr. Weir's version, every nail, every rope, every teacup and brass
button is in more or less its place, but rather than feeling fussy and
antiquarian, as so many Hollywood costume pageants do, "Master and
Commander" hums with humor, passion and life. It makes you wish
Napoleon were still around, so we — that is, I mean, the British Empire
— could beat him all over again.

(By A. O. SCOTT)

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/11/13/We...al__mate.shtml

Weir is master and commander of a terrific movie, full of wit and a
perspective of wonder enlightening viewers to the 19th century
mind-set. Rarely does any film impact the mind as well as the gut with
as much consistency as this. Keeping one eye on the creative horizon
and a steady hand on the wheel, Weir creates exciting
popcorn-and-caviar entertainment. Two great tastes that aren't allowed
often enough to taste great together in movies today.

(By STEVE PERSALL)

- ------------------
tw

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:07:09 GMT, "Gilligan"
wrote:

Who cares about the British Navy?

I want to see Mel Gibson make a movie about the oldest commisioned
ship in the US fleet - the USS Constitution!

I want to see British cannonballs bouncing off her sides as she
defeats two equal British ships by sailing backwards!

I want to see the British (and others) tuck tail and run when they see
Old Glory!

I want to see American medium bombers flying off of aircraft carriers
(minus that whining Van Johnson), atomic bombs dropped from B-29's,
farmers from Westchester running off the Black Watch, George Patton
and Lewis Puller!!

The only movie that ever portrayed Americans for what they really are
is Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove" - not one wimpy or wishy washy Yank in
the entire film!

Gilligan

Bobsprit

"Master and Commander" is grand and glorious, and touching in its
attention to its characters. Like the work of David Lean, it achieves
the epic without losing sight of the human,

David Lean directed Laurence of Arabia and and the best Dicken's adaptation
ever filmed, Great Expectations. If Master and Commander is anywhere near that
level I'll have to buy a bigger TV!

RB
Flying Tadpole

Gilligan wrote:

Who cares about the British Navy?

rant

rant

rant

pant

cant

Gilligan

Well, yes, but _I_ want to see the biggest Philip C Bolger design
in action.
--
Tim & Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------
DSK

Gilligan wrote:

I want to see Mel Gibson make a movie about the oldest commisioned ship in
the US fleet - the USS Constitution!

Why Mel Gibson? Plenty of others would make a really good historic drama....
agreed that if the writers/producers who made 'Braveheart' and 'The Patriot'
could stick a bit closer to the facts, they could make a great USS Constitution
movie.

I want to see British cannonballs bouncing off her sides as she defeats two
equal British ships by sailing backwards!

How about unreeving the course & topsail sheets to kedge away from & escape a
British squadron in deep water?

I want to see the British (and others) tuck tail and run when they see Old
Glory!

I want to see American medium bombers flying off of aircraft carriers (minus
that whining Van Johnson), atomic bombs dropped from B-29's, farmers from
Westchester running off the Black Watch, George Patton and Lewis Puller!!

How about the performance of the American militiamen in the all-or-nothing
Battle of Bladensburg (War of 1812)?

Regards-
Doug King

larry flint a.k.a lawrence stone

Mike Savage said it was a movie about limey sailing fags.

I will have to wait a month or so for an escaped studio DVD screener
to be posted to usenet.

Then I will be able to view this $125M flop on my 37" TV with 400 watt
5.1 channel sound in the privacy of my living room.

This way I save money on the theater admission, the gasoline to get to
18 screen megaplex, don't have to endure the unwashed masses at the
megaplex, and the best part is that I am not supporting Bobspirits
occupation.

Bobsprit

37" TV with 400 watt
5.1 channel sound in the privacy of my living room.

Really? Do tell us what model of 37 inch TV you have. Is it a plasma? 5.1
channel sound is long gone, must be a very old system.

RB
SAIL LOCO

5.1 channel sound is long gone, must be a very old system.

Oh, do tell us how much 6.1 or 7.1source material is out there and why he
should unload his 5.1 system. I guess you'll just come back with "gee, fake
6.1 is just the bomb"
Your such a dweib ........ always trying to make somebody else feel small.
Problem is you look like an idiot.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

Oh, do tell us how much 6.1 or 7.1source material is out there and why he
should unload his 5.1 system. I guess you'll just come back with "gee, fake
6.1 is just the bomb"

Loco, all Dolby Digital will play through the rear CENTER channel so long as
you have EX decoding. All of it. Only DTS won't. So that means MOST material
will play 6.1.
I'm not going to attack you over this, I only learned about it when I upgraded
to a current decoder. The rear center is quite nice. I'm using 3 matched B&W
LM-1s with a secondary Paradigm sub.
Here's a pic of Center rear:
http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/room2.jpg

RB
Bobsprit

Your such a dweib ........ always trying to make somebody else feel small.
Problem is you look like an idiot.

No need to get nasty, Loco. You're dead wrong as I stated earlier. ALL DD
tracks will play 6.1 and EX decoding makes it spacially accurate.

RB