BoatBanter.com

-   -   What tack? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18367-re-what-tack.html)

DSK November 13th 03 11:46 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On what tack is a sailing boat that's head to wind?

It is considered to be on the same tack as it was before going
head to wind.

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails November 13th 03 12:05 PM

What tack?

Ahhh, one must ask is movement of the helm required for it to be
considered a tack.=20

I'm going to take a stab at this and say that it is a tack since another =
boat approaching later on doesn't know what happened and if it looks =
like a duck....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Martin Baxter November 13th 03 03:22 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:46:41 -0500, DSK
wrote:

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On what tack is a sailing boat that's head to wind?

It is considered to be on the same tack as it was before going
head to wind.

Correct of course.
I meant to exclude you from answering in the interest of furthering
the education of this motely rabble.

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Ahhh, one must ask is movement of the helm required for it to be
considered a tack.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Well, the wind is coming over the other rail, so the vessel
is now on a different tack; ergo the vessel has tacked.

Cheers
Marty

Wally November 13th 03 04:13 PM

What tack?

DSK wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of tacking -
everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on board. For colregs
purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Bobsprit November 13th 03 04:38 PM

What tack?

I can be on any tack, I always keep the motor running just incase.

SAIL LOCO November 13th 03 05:45 PM

What tack?

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Yes because the boom went to the other side.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Donal November 13th 03 10:35 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On 13 Nov 2003 17:45:17 GMT, (SAIL LOCO) wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Yes because the boom went to the other side.

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahaaa!
sounds like you forgot to duck!

Sometimes the thin line between sneering and stupidity can become blurred.

Oz, it *really* appears that he remembered to duck.

Honestly..... Take my word for it!

Regards

Donal

Wally November 13th 03 10:53 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of
tacking - everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on
board. For colregs purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

However WHAT????

....however, the colregs weren't mentioned in the original question, so the
comment about being on a different tack may be erroneous.

Wally November 14th 03 12:20 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of
tacking - everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on
board. For colregs purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

However WHAT????

...however, the colregs weren't mentioned in the original question,
so the comment about being on a different tack may be erroneous.

Yikes so even though the wind is coming from the other side the boat
remains on the same tack?

What's the difference between 'being on a tack', and 'tacking'?

Capt. Mooron November 14th 03 02:03 AM

What tack?

For God's Sake .... will you listen to yourselves? It's Pathetic!

The Tack of a windsurfer or a kite sailor.... like who cares?

I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!

....and if he even groans I'll back over the idiot!

CM

Simple Simon November 14th 03 02:30 AM

What tack?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!

So you've got a large ass. Who really cares besides LP?

S.Simon

katysails November 14th 03 12:13 PM

What tack?

Yikes so even though the wind is coming from the other side the boat
remains on the same tack?

So how do you explain that to the guy coming at you when the boat =
APPEARS to be on a port tack but is, in your estimation, still on a =
starboard tack?? You really thik they're going to believe you when =
there's a protest? Or if it's the CG?
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Schoonertrash November 14th 03 01:23 PM

What tack?

Get 'em Katy!

Grin

MST

DSK November 14th 03 07:30 PM

What tack?

Martin Baxter wrote:

Well, the wind is coming over the other rail, so the vessel
is now on a different tack; ergo the vessel has tacked.

A more accurate way to say it is 'the vessel has been tacked.' Happens
all the time on smaller lakes with flukey winds. Sometimes two boats
going bow to bow will be on the same tack.... more of a probelm if
they're both on starboard...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Wally November 14th 03 07:48 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

What's the difference between 'being on a tack', and 'tacking'?

Did you think about this question before asking it?

A bit. :-)

To me, 'being on a tack' suggests being on starboard tack or port tack - a
state; while 'tacking' is changing from starboard to port tack or
vice-versa - an action (or a series of such actions, in the sense of tacking
up a channel, say).

Capt. Mooron November 14th 03 07:57 PM

What tack?

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!
|
| So you've got a large ass. Who really cares besides LP?

I don't think she really cares. I think she's playin' me like a piano! Such
a tease!

CM

katysails November 14th 03 11:36 PM

What tack?

Playings OK, It's when they try and tune the piano that you've gotta
worry.

You don't have to worry about tuning..it's when they want to re-string =
you that you really have problems...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Flying Tadpole November 14th 03 11:36 PM

What tack?

DSK wrote:

snip Sometimes two boats
going bow to bow will be on the same tack.... more of a probelm if
they're both on starboard...

Work this out: four boats racing (one FLying Tadpole II) in two
pairs on gently converging courses (roughly EbyS and EbyN), pairs
about 70m apart, FTII then another on port tack, other two on
starboard tack, meeting another boat coming W, also on starboard
tack. All five have the wind forward. FT2 is hard on a cliff with
no upwind manoeuvring room. WHat happens next? (Clayton Narrows
on the lower Murray, 1994 or 95).

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

katysails November 14th 03 11:37 PM

What tack?

OZ, your whole scenario is nothing but semantics and has very little to =
do with actually sailing....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Donal November 15th 03 12:48 AM

What tack?

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Work this out: four boats racing (one FLying Tadpole II) in two
pairs on gently converging courses (roughly EbyS and EbyN), pairs
about 70m apart, FTII then another on port tack, other two on
starboard tack, meeting another boat coming W, also on starboard
tack. All five have the wind forward. FT2 is hard on a cliff with
no upwind manoeuvring room. WHat happens next? (Clayton Narrows
on the lower Murray, 1994 or 95).

"WATER" ????

Regards

Donal

DSK November 15th 03 12:49 AM

What tack?

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Work this out: four boats racing (one FLying Tadpole II) in two
pairs on gently converging courses (roughly EbyS and EbyN), pairs
about 70m apart, FTII then another on port tack, other two on
starboard tack, meeting another boat coming W, also on starboard
tack. All five have the wind forward. FT2 is hard on a cliff with
no upwind manoeuvring room. WHat happens next? (Clayton Narrows
on the lower Murray, 1994 or 95).

Hail for room to tack. The usual call is "Water!" which I always answer
with "Beer!" but give room anyway.

Don't you find the wind diminished in strength and somewhat flukey hard
under a cliff? Or did it not matter 'cuz you could keep way on with full
topsails? ;)

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Donal November 15th 03 12:58 AM

What tack?

"Wally" wrote in message

To me, 'being on a tack' suggests being on starboard tack or port tack - a
state; while 'tacking' is changing from starboard to port tack or
vice-versa - an action (or a series of such actions, in the sense of

tacking
up a channel, say).

Correct.

BTW, Asking Oz a straight question is totally futile. He will ignore
the fact that you have stated that you are a learner so that he can have a
good sneer. His desire to look down his nose, would suggest that he has
poor self image. I suppose that this is understandable -- after all he IS
an ex-copper.

Regards

Donal

Lady Pilot November 15th 03 05:11 AM

What tack?

What??????????????????????????????
LP

Lady Pilot November 15th 03 05:13 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:57:05 -0400, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!
|
| So you've got a large ass. Who really cares besides LP?

I don't think she really cares. I think she's playin' me like a piano!

Such
a tease!

CM

Playings OK, It's when they try and tune the piano that you've gotta
worry.

You are very funny, Ox.

LP (hasn't practiced the piano in years...)

Flying Tadpole November 15th 03 01:24 PM

What tack?

DSK wrote:

Don't you find the wind diminished in strength and somewhat flukey hard
under a cliff? Or did it not matter 'cuz you could keep way on with full
topsails? ;)

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The strange situation arises because of the flukiness. What
litlle wind there was was sort-of southerly (doldrums between the
land-breeze northeasterly and the southwesterlyto southeasterly
sea breeze). Clayton Narrows on the lower Murray is about 1.5 n
mi southeasterly, and about 300m wide with low hillocky rises one
side and about 1km of limestaone cliff 15m on the other. If the
wind is southerly and light, with an easterly component, one can
get a nice back eddy off the cliff, which is why FT2 and
companion were where they were. OTOH one can benefit from wind
funnels on the other side, which is why the other pair were where
they were. What actually happend was that the two pairs proceeded
on and eventually strung out, so no need to cry for water. But
the poor oncoming boat hit the local eddies the other four were
sailing on, and was taken aback. We all passed her while she was
undoing the tangle.

The cliff and related eddies of the lower Murray R are why I
always relax as Lady Kate comes out onto the relatively open
waters of the Murray Lakes.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------

Donal November 16th 03 12:10 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:48:05 -0000, "Donal"

"WATER" ????

That would be "Water Please" followed by "Thank You"

LOL. I've never thought of trying that approach

The correct sequence is- "WATER" [short pause] "READY ABOUT" - "LEE HO".

But what else will be in the exchange?

After they have tacked, the other boat will usually us some colourful
language - saying something to the effect that there was plenty of water!

We will then use equally colourful language in our two word contradiction of
their interpretation of the situation.

Regards

Donal

Donal November 16th 03 11:07 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message

You've missed something important with your frivolity.
I couls grab a spoon and start feeding you BUT you'd be much better
off if you figure it out for yourself.

In what sense would I be much better off?

Regards

Donal

Donal November 17th 03 12:26 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message

BMI....Basic Methods of Instruction.
Will teach you the basics of what you need to know to aid people in
learning.

Nowadays, I say to people who disagree with me "Do you believe *ME*, ... or
the book?". The clever ones have thrown away the books.

Regards

Donal

Donal November 18th 03 11:41 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message

Hmmm, I never thought I was THAT smart,

That's because you are far too modest.

You don't realise that you must strike a very authoritive figure when you
command your vessel wearing nothing but pantyhose. a Greek fisherman's cap,
and a narrow moustache.

Regards

Donal

Donal November 19th 03 11:45 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:41:42 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

You don't realise that you must strike a very authoritive figure when you
command your vessel wearing nothing but pantyhose. a Greek fisherman's

cap,
and a narrow moustache.

I realise!

....And so do I! However, the rest of the group may have lesser
imaginations than I do. Perhaps you could post a photo to demonstrate the
awesome truth???

Bobsprit would be very impressed.

Regards

Donal

katysails November 20th 03 11:48 AM

What tack?

What and have all the women here swooning....Nah!

He has a good-looking wife which indicates one of several things:
1. He also is good-looking
2. She is beyond choosing people for their looks and married him for =
his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"

You pick.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

DSK November 20th 03 03:00 PM

What tack?

katysails wrote:
He has a good-looking wife which indicates one of several things:
1. He also is good-looking
2. She is beyond choosing people for their looks and married him for his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"

You pick.

I'm going to show this list of options to my wife and see what she says. Thanks Katysails.

DSK

Donal November 20th 03 03:45 PM

What tack?

"katysails" wrote in message
What and have all the women here swooning....Nah!

He has a good-looking wife which indicates one of several things:
1. He also is good-looking
2. She is beyond choosing people for their looks and married him for =
his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"
5. She married him for his money.

You pick.

No. 5???

Regards

Donal

DSK November 20th 03 04:40 PM

What tack?

"katysails" wrote ...

He has a good-looking wife which indicates one of several things:
1. He also is good-looking
2. She is beyond choosing people for their looks and married him for =
his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"
5. He married her for her money.

You pick.

Donal wrote:
No. 5???

Martin Baxter November 20th 03 04:44 PM

What tack?

Donal wrote:

"katysails" wrote in message
What and have all the women here swooning....Nah!

He has a good-looking wife which indicates one of several things:
1. He also is good-looking
2. She is beyond choosing people for their looks and married him for =
his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"
5. She married him for his money, and has no standards what-so-ever.

You pick.

No. 5???

Regards

Donal, I have emended your text.

Cheers
Marty

Donal November 21st 03 12:07 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:45:19 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

No. 5???

Poor Donal ;-)

Rich Oz.

Regards

Donal
--

PS I **cannot** do smilies! I tried! I really tried.

Donal November 21st 03 12:10 AM

What tack?

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

=
his inner, spiritual qualities
3. He is such a manly man that she could not resist him
4. She secretly hates men and saw him as "safe"
5. She married him for his money, and has no standards what-so-ever.

You pick.

No. 5???

Regards

Donal, I have emended your text.

Your understanding of women outshines mine!

Regards

Donal

Donal November 21st 03 09:38 AM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:10:03 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

Donal, I have emended your text.

Your understanding of women outshines mine!

But his understanding of spelling is horrible

Which word did he get wrong?

Regards

Donal

DSK November 21st 03 12:04 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

1,2 and 3.....True! :-)

My wife said #2 and #3, plus I had a really cool boat.

DSK

Martin Baxter November 21st 03 12:10 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:38:58 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Donal, I have emended your text.

Your understanding of women outshines mine!

But his understanding of spelling is horrible

Which word did he get wrong?

Uh Huh. Figures.

Donal, we are in the shadow of an intellectual giant, his
witticisms put GBS to shame, W. Buckley would loose control
of his bowels if faced with the possibility of engaging in
debate with him. But don't ever expect a straight answer,
he's more elusive than the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Cheers
Marty