BoatBanter.com

-   -   What tack? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18367-re-what-tack.html)

Simple Simon November 14th 03 02:30 AM

What tack?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!

So you've got a large ass. Who really cares besides LP?

S.Simon

katysails November 14th 03 12:13 PM

What tack?

Yikes so even though the wind is coming from the other side the boat
remains on the same tack?

So how do you explain that to the guy coming at you when the boat =
APPEARS to be on a port tack but is, in your estimation, still on a =
starboard tack?? You really thik they're going to believe you when =
there's a protest? Or if it's the CG?
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Schoonertrash November 14th 03 01:23 PM

What tack?

Get 'em Katy!

Grin

MST

DSK November 14th 03 07:30 PM

What tack?

Martin Baxter wrote:

Well, the wind is coming over the other rail, so the vessel
is now on a different tack; ergo the vessel has tacked.

A more accurate way to say it is 'the vessel has been tacked.' Happens
all the time on smaller lakes with flukey winds. Sometimes two boats
going bow to bow will be on the same tack.... more of a probelm if
they're both on starboard...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Wally November 14th 03 07:48 PM

What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

What's the difference between 'being on a tack', and 'tacking'?

Did you think about this question before asking it?

A bit. :-)

To me, 'being on a tack' suggests being on starboard tack or port tack - a
state; while 'tacking' is changing from starboard to port tack or
vice-versa - an action (or a series of such actions, in the sense of tacking
up a channel, say).

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Capt. Mooron November 14th 03 07:57 PM

What tack?

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!
|
| So you've got a large ass. Who really cares besides LP?

I don't think she really cares. I think she's playin' me like a piano! Such
a tease!

CM

katysails November 14th 03 11:36 PM

What tack?

Playings OK, It's when they try and tune the piano that you've gotta
worry.

You don't have to worry about tuning..it's when they want to re-string =
you that you really have problems...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Flying Tadpole November 14th 03 11:36 PM

What tack?

DSK wrote:

snip Sometimes two boats
going bow to bow will be on the same tack.... more of a probelm if
they're both on starboard...

Work this out: four boats racing (one FLying Tadpole II) in two
pairs on gently converging courses (roughly EbyS and EbyN), pairs
about 70m apart, FTII then another on port tack, other two on
starboard tack, meeting another boat coming W, also on starboard
tack. All five have the wind forward. FT2 is hard on a cliff with
no upwind manoeuvring room. WHat happens next? (Clayton Narrows
on the lower Murray, 1994 or 95).

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

katysails November 14th 03 11:37 PM

What tack?

OZ, your whole scenario is nothing but semantics and has very little to =
do with actually sailing....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Donal November 15th 03 12:48 AM

What tack?

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Work this out: four boats racing (one FLying Tadpole II) in two
pairs on gently converging courses (roughly EbyS and EbyN), pairs
about 70m apart, FTII then another on port tack, other two on
starboard tack, meeting another boat coming W, also on starboard
tack. All five have the wind forward. FT2 is hard on a cliff with
no upwind manoeuvring room. WHat happens next? (Clayton Narrows
on the lower Murray, 1994 or 95).

"WATER" ????

Regards

Donal