Schoonertrash

Default Speakng of Simrad

Does anyone have experience with thieir wheelpilot auto steering? Or in the
old Navico version? I think I have a buyer for the wheel steering
conversion on Se Lange but they want to add in the above system so I said
I'd ask. I'm going back to tiller.

MST

Bobsprit

Does anyone have experience with thieir wheelpilot auto steering? Or in the
old Navico version?

The main complaint I hear about Simrad is is that Scotty can't afford the
handhelds.

RB
Bobsprit

I have a Simrad WP30 auto on my boat. What do you want to know?

Yeah...and he's REAL familiar with it! WP30? Bwahahahaha!

RB

DSK

Schoonertrash wrote:

Does anyone have experience with thieir wheelpilot auto steering? Or in the
old Navico version?

Yep. The tugboat had a Navico hydraulic unit.

..... I think I have a buyer for the wheel steering
conversion on Se Lange but they want to add in the above system so I said
I'd ask. I'm going back to tiller.

Can't say much about the unit we had, the installation had been botched and I
strongly doubt it ever worked. It certainly did not work when we got the boat
and after much tinkering (amounting to a re-installation of everything except
the hydraulic end) I took it out and threw it away. I suspect the electronics
were fried when the unit was first powered up by the DPO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Schoonertrash

Are you happy with it and if so why and if not why?

MST

SAIL LOCO

I have a new Navico wheelpilot that I bought just before the company got sold.
Very easy install and have had no problems.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
DSK

SAIL LOCO wrote:

I have a new Navico wheelpilot that I bought just before the company got sold.
Very easy install and have had no problems.

IMHO the belt drive wheel pilots are good only for motoring in calm conditions.
I've seen dozens of them that can't hold a course on a nice sailing day, much less
rough conditions. Under deck systems are a whole order of magnitude more complex
to install and are more expensive, but for cruising, they are worth it.

Our unit was a fancy digital controlled hydraulic pump with all the bells &
whistles. I suspect it never worked (installed by DPO in early 1990s). The
feedback unit had been hammered and the wiring looked like it had installed by
raccoons with ADD.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

IMHO the belt drive wheel pilots are good only for motoring in calm conditions.
I've seen dozens of them that can't hold a course on a nice sailing day, much
less
rough conditions.

We've had no problems with ours, a model 3000 with belt. Coming back from the
Thimble Islands we were close reaching in 15-20 knots through some good chop
and it held course without a problem for as long as we liked. Adjusting the
rudder offset a single notch when off the wind is sometimes needed, but it's
been reliable and useful. My friend's Vindo has the same unit and they are
quite common around here. Never heard a complaint.

RB
Donal

"Schoonertrash" wrote in message
Are you happy with it and if so why and if not why?

I have a Navico TP300. I'm very happy with it because it has never let me
down.

I know people who have Autohelm units, and they seem to be much less
reliable. I get the feeling that the Autohelm units are not as waterproof
as they should be.

Regards

Donal

Simrad TP20 or Raytheon ST2000+ bruce Electronics 2 February 4th 04 07:51 PM
Simrad Tillerpilot Extension Pushrod lgcharlot Electronics 2 December 4th 03 02:58 AM
Silly Simrad Sale! Bobsprit ASA 2 November 9th 03 07:58 PM
B&G sold to Simrad Joe Wood Electronics 3 October 18th 03 12:55 PM
Autopilot decision: Raymarine ST4000 vs Simrad 30 LaBomba182 Cruising 1 September 4th 03 03:32 PM