Schoonertrash

Default Full Battens and Loose Feet

Ole Thom has been encouraging me to try the loose foot main arrangement. I
like full (or no) battens and absolutely won't use partial battens. The
other day a full batten AND loose foot boat went by so I talked to them on
the bridge to bridge radio. Owner did a big circle and demonstrated how
easy his sail was to use, with only one person doing the work. This weekend
I'm off to sail a couple days on a boat with that arrangement. But so far
it looks like Thom was right! That combined with a double headsail (Solent
Rig) conversion should do just fine. The new boat came with a steering
wheel conversion. Thought about it for some time . . .I'm converting her
back to a tiller. More responsive, better 'feel', easier to singlehand, and
less parts to go wrong.

Thanks Thom for your suggestion and comments.

MST

DSK

Schoonertrash wrote:

Ole Thom has been encouraging me to try the loose foot main arrangement. I
like full (or no) battens and absolutely won't use partial battens.

For some boats, conventional (or partial) battens make sense. One thing that
doesn't make sense is to limit the length of the battens due to some handicap
rule that doesn't apply; or because of style & imitation. Unfortunately this is
the controlling factor in why most production boats are the way they are.

The
other day a full batten AND loose foot boat went by so I talked to them on
the bridge to bridge radio. Owner did a big circle and demonstrated how
easy his sail was to use, with only one person doing the work.

Just the fact that he would do this, seems to me to prove that it really is
pretty darn easy. Did he have a solid vang, too?

... That combined with a double headsail (Solent
Rig) conversion should do just fine.

You mean double headstays?

The new boat came with a steering
wheel conversion. Thought about it for some time . . .I'm converting her
back to a tiller. More responsive, better 'feel', easier to singlehand, and
less parts to go wrong.

Agreed for the most part, you also gain some room under the cockpit sole. But
you lose room in the cockpit itself, and it's more difficult to rig an autopilot
(on the size boat you're talking about, on a smaller lighter boat it'd be
easier).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

Full battens on a slowcoach Berwick will look about
as dumb as that silly radar mount on Booby's boat.

This from a loser who bought sails that don't fit, don't set and cost less than
his weekly Pabst Blue Ribbon budget!

RB
Thom Stewart

Default Full Battens and Loose Footed

Mich.,

If you have that full Battened main in Lazy Jacks, They will act as a
topping lift.. There really isn't a need for the solid vang or a Kick
but they are nice. Just remember you do have to draw your jacks in to
keep the sail in place on the boom. The jacks and/or the topping lift
will do the job as well or better than a solid vang

Don't listen to Simple. On a cruising boat the full battens are used the
same as the full battens on the Junk sail (To ease the control of the
sail)

That they maintain their shape better and longer is a bonus.

Using them on a triangle sail makes control better because you have less
weight aloft without the lug boom.

It's the way to go for a singlehanded rig. For a guy who sailed with a
shelf for years, I have to say, I don't miss it a bit.
The set of the outhaul is so much more apparent without the shelf,
especially near the Tack.

Mich, just make sure,when you buy your main, that the Tack and the Leech
are well reinforced and stitched well. Being freefooted, even if you go
with the Shelve, the Tack and the Leech are the only downward holding
location on the foot of the sail. The bargain sails go to light on their
corners and will stretch out of shape.

When you come up to Port Townsend, give me a call. We can get together
and I'll let you sail "Pneuma" so you can see for yourself. We'll also
discuss Lazy Jacks and their layout for solo sailing.

AND: "WE'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

Ole Thom

Schoonertrash

DEAL! But I'm buying!