Thom Stewart

Default Full Battens and Loose Footed

Mich.,

If you have that full Battened main in Lazy Jacks, They will act as a
topping lift.. There really isn't a need for the solid vang or a Kick
but they are nice. Just remember you do have to draw your jacks in to
keep the sail in place on the boom. The jacks and/or the topping lift
will do the job as well or better than a solid vang

Don't listen to Simple. On a cruising boat the full battens are used the
same as the full battens on the Junk sail (To ease the control of the
sail)

That they maintain their shape better and longer is a bonus.

Using them on a triangle sail makes control better because you have less
weight aloft without the lug boom.

It's the way to go for a singlehanded rig. For a guy who sailed with a
shelf for years, I have to say, I don't miss it a bit.
The set of the outhaul is so much more apparent without the shelf,
especially near the Tack.

Mich, just make sure,when you buy your main, that the Tack and the Leech
are well reinforced and stitched well. Being freefooted, even if you go
with the Shelve, the Tack and the Leech are the only downward holding
location on the foot of the sail. The bargain sails go to light on their
corners and will stretch out of shape.

When you come up to Port Townsend, give me a call. We can get together
and I'll let you sail "Pneuma" so you can see for yourself. We'll also
discuss Lazy Jacks and their layout for solo sailing.

AND: "WE'LL DRINK TO THAT!!"

Ole Thom