The_navigator©

Default TR

I go away for a short cruise and come back to over a thousand messages!
Anyway had a great sail to a nearby offshore island (40 nm as the crow
flies). Nice reach that turned into a beat for about 30 nm. Worrying
moment when a pod of humpbacks decided to cruise around. Whalebreath
stinks! Had to start up the engine for safety and the cats hate that! 2
r4estful exploring days later, with the barometer dropping 10mb that
morning the ridge of HP was moving off to give way to a major blow. 45 k
forecasted. Got up early to lots of dew, slipped on deck and bashed foot
hard (I usually wear shoes but the sun was out...). Anchor winch gave
a bang and smoked. Damn! Muscled anchor up but then saw that anchor rode
in the well has a new set of depth markings as I did not notice all the
blood until the anchor was up. Set sail (full main and #4), then the
wind died. Uh ho. Then it kicked in from the N and built. Short confused
seas built quickly and there was a nasty corkscrew that paid havok with
the headsail in a very broad reach. Decided to save wear on the headsail
and took it down. Was then visted by dolphin for 30 mins. Final reach to
home was a blast under main alone -8.5 knots a record for just one sail up.

Tied up in 20 kn just before the rain started... Settled down to pain
medication and rum. What a great weekend!

Cheers MC

katysails

visted by dolphin for 30 mins.=20

Pictures...want pictures....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Scott Vernon

"katysails" wrote

Pictures...want pictures....of the bloody foot.

The_navigator©

That sounds operatic!

Cheers MC

Scott Vernon wrote:

"katysails" wrote

Pictures...want pictures....of the bloody foot.

The_navigator©

Err didn't bother. Happens every time we get 20 miles offshore... They
always come racing over and bow ride and have a good look. They seem to
like being whistled at. If you stop they usually leave in a minute or
two. I'd guess they are playing "chicken/tag" they way the race in, bow
ride or circle. The humpbacks were more unusual but nothing worth
photographing as you don't want to get close and they don't even show
flukes most of the time when they dive. It turns out that near where we
stayed was a humpback whaling station that closed in the 60's due to
stock depletion. I'd say they are coming back!

Cheers MC

katysails wrote:

visted by dolphin for 30 mins.

Pictures...want pictures....

katysails

humpback whaling station that closed in the 60's due to=20
stock depletion. I'd say they are coming back!

Don't let the Japanese know...they'll be butchering them sooner than =
s#@t....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

Poor Katy....
Over here, once you get a mile or so offshore you can thump on the
side of the boat and 80% of the time
dolphins just appear out of nowhere, come right alongside and have a
chat.

I've been swimming in Florida off St Pete Beach and had dolphins swim up =
but Lake Michigan doesn't have any friendly critters that like to visit, =
I like the expressions on their faces....they're fascinating creatures. =
Our oldest son swam with a dolphin in Dingle Bay in Ireland..we have a =
picture of that....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

DSK

katysails wrote:

I've been swimming in Florida off St Pete Beach and had dolphins swim up but Lake Michigan doesn't have any friendly critters that like to visit, I like the expressions on their faces....they're fascinating creatures.

Yes, and they are quite intelligent. I've often wondered if whales & porpoises are smarter than we are.

Our oldest son swam with a dolphin in Dingle Bay in Ireland..we have a picture of that....

And I bet it took him a week sitting in front of the fireplace to get warm again.... the coldest winter I've ever experienced was a summer in Ireland....

DSK

katysails

And I bet it took him a week sitting in front of the fireplace to get =
warm again....=20

That's your poor Southern blood showing, Doug...you forget our kids were =
brought up swimming in Lake Michigan and in unheated pools....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32