BoatBanter.com

-   -   Let's Compare!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18115-lets-compare.html)

Bobsprit October 27th 03 12:28 PM

Let's Compare!!!

The Cabin of the Express 30...

http://www.express30.com/photos/images/DSCN1359.jpg

The Cabin of the C&C 32....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/int23.jpg

The J30 Interior....

http://www.jboats.com/j30/images/j30maincabaft.jpg

What a joke the Express is as a cruiser! And that's the best pic of an Express
30 interior I can find! Looks like a mid 80's Catalina 27 inside! Bwahahahaha!

Capt RB

Jonathan Ganz October 27th 03 06:28 PM

Let's Compare!!!

What are you comparing? For cruising, racing, long distance
passagemaking, best compromise between the three, best
day-only boat, what?

Seems like the passagemaking winner would be the C&C
(except that I'd get rid of the bs sitting in high spots).

The most open airy space would be the jboat.

The best compromise would be the express.

Bobsprit October 27th 03 07:21 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Seems like the passagemaking winner would be the C&C
(except that I'd get rid of the bs sitting in high spots).

The most open airy space would be the jboat.

The best compromise would be the express.

The C&C 32 has a bigger better interior than either, more space overall and
still good performance. The C&C has a nicer helm station and cockpit, more
storage. For cruising it beats both the J and the Express hands down. It's also
a better looking boat compared to either.
Airy space. The C&C wins that one too.
Unless you count the airy space between Loco's ears!

RB

Bobsprit October 27th 03 07:26 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Still waiting for a pic of a nice Express 30 interior.

and waiting...
and waiting....
and waiting.....

Could this be it???
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/1/5/0/4/1150497_3.jpg
Holy Catalina style, Batman!

RB

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 07:46 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Sure looks like a big step up from an early J-Boat What's your point?

And what's the Catalina Style? Half the 30 footers built have the U-shaped galley.
--
-jeff

JN October 27th 03 07:47 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Why not compare apples to apples? That is 30's to 30's, not 30's to 32'.

The Cabin of the Express 30...

http://www.express30.com/photos/images/DSCN1359.jpg

The J30 Interior....

http://www.jboats.com/j30/images/j30maincabaft.jpg

The Cabin of selected C&C 30's....

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...10704441&pic=5

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...10969341&pic=1

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...10271811&pic=5

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...searchid%3D1%2
6back%3Dsession%26showMD%3Dfalse%26entityid%3D9779 251&pic=2

SAIL LOCO October 27th 03 07:48 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Boob**** we can all see thru your "comparison" The photo taker when shooting
the Express interior is standing in the middle of the salon using a normal 52mm
lense. The guy shooting the J30 interior was sitting on the floor of the V
berth shooting thru the door using a 28mm wide angle lense and professional
lighting. Whoever shot the C&C interior was an idiot because the thing looks
like some old ladies basement.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Capt. Mooron October 27th 03 07:50 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Good Gawd Bob.... that's like shooting yourself in the foot. The C&C cabin
is the worst of the lot. It looks confused, disorganized, tasteless,
dysfunctional and they all suck supreme Du Du compared to the Cabin of a
Nordica 30.

I'd rate the J30, Express30 and then way behind the C&C .... in that order
on those shots for inviting, safe, secure quarters.

CM

Capt. Mooron October 27th 03 07:52 PM

Let's Compare!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| The C&C 32 has a bigger better interior than either, more space overall
and
| still good performance. The C&C has a nicer helm station and cockpit, more
| storage. For cruising it beats both the J and the Express hands down. It's
also
| a better looking boat compared to either.
| Airy space. The C&C wins that one too.
| Unless you count the airy space between Loco's ears!

Don't look that way from the pictures.

CM

SAIL LOCO October 27th 03 07:53 PM

Let's Compare!!!

A friend just bought a late model C&C 30MKII and it has a great interior. Much
nicer than the older dated C&C32.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 08:08 PM

Let's Compare!!!

"Apples to Apples"? You're using a company picture of an upscale 2003 J-boat and comparing it to a
owners pic of a 1984 Express!

RB didn't like the link I provided before - here's another. Not what I would call a cruising boat.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...d=1&back=%2Fli
sting%2Fcache%2Flisting_search_results.jsp%3FtoLen gth%3D30%26man%3DJ%2B%26psdistance%3D500%26searcht
ype%3Dbuy%26toYear%3D1990%26fromYear%3D1980%26from Length%3D30%26Search.y%3D0%26Search.x%3D0%26curren
cyid%3D100%26sm%3D3%26slim%3Dquick%26searchPage%3D %252Flisting%252Fcache%252Fquick_search.jsp%26luom
%3D126&showDL=false&showMD=false&clk_srclnk_detail ed_spec

--
-jeff

"JN" wrote in message . ..
Why not compare apples to apples? That is 30's to 30's, not 30's to 32'.

The Cabin of the Express 30...

http://www.express30.com/photos/images/DSCN1359.jpg

The J30 Interior....

http://www.jboats.com/j30/images/j30maincabaft.jpg

The Cabin of selected C&C 30's....

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...at_details.jsp
%3Fsearchtype%3Dbuy%26showDL%3Dfalse%26searchid%3D 1%26back%3Dsession%26showMD%3Dfalse%26entityid%3D1
0704441&pic=5

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...at_details.jsp
%3Fsearchtype%3Dbuy%26showDL%3Dfalse%26searchid%3D 1%26back%3Dsession%26showMD%3Dfalse%26entityid%3D1
0969341&pic=1

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...at_details.jsp
%3Fsearchtype%3Dbuy%26showDL%3Dfalse%26searchid%3D 1%26back%3Dsession%26showMD%3Dfalse%26entityid%3D1
0271811&pic=5

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...t_details.jsp%

Bobsprit October 27th 03 08:32 PM

Let's Compare!!!

I'd rate the J30, Express30 and then way behind the C&C .... in that order
on those shots for inviting, safe, secure quarters.

Mooron, this is a very bad attempt. I'm only alerting you because you're a dear
friend.

RB

Bobsprit October 27th 03 08:34 PM

Let's Compare!!!

And what's the Catalina Style? Half the 30 footers built have the U-shaped
galley.

The cheap look of it all, not the layout.

RB

Bobsprit October 27th 03 08:35 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Boob**** we can all see thru your "comparison"

Anytime you want to show us your nice interior pics...anytime...
Doesn't matter what you post. Everyone will say it's fine, so why not post a
pic?

Hmmmm?

RB

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 08:49 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Well if that's what you meant, the J has the cheapest look by far. I remember going on board on and
trying hard not to giggle.

I'm not saying they aren't well made, I've always had a lot of respect for Ev Pearson, but the early
J's had absolutely no pretense of being a comfortable cruising boat.

I've never been on and Express, and I gather neither have you, but from the pics of boats from the
same vintage the Express looks much better suited to cruising than the J.

--
-jeff

Bobsprit October 27th 03 08:58 PM

Let's Compare!!!

Well if that's what you meant, the J has the cheapest look by far. I remember
going on board on and
trying hard not to giggle.

The pic I posted of the J30 interior is pretty much how my friends boats look,
except the 1979, which has been trashed from heavy racing. The others are post
83 boats. The comfort of the interior is very good, though I've not seen one
with those lighter woods (unless that's the pic.
Yes, I was aboard the Express 30 two seasons ago in Manhasset (Capri Yacht
Club). I found the interior small, certainly smaller than Express. Not
surprising since the J goes with a small cockpit to extend the cabin, making up
for it with a semi flush deck idea.
I understand your desire to side with Loco, but don't think for a minute it
will help him with his anger levels. He's been mad as a hatter since I got the
nice C&C and the 34XL will drive him to suicide!

Bwahhahahahahaha!

RB

RB

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 09:16 PM

Let's Compare!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...

I understand your desire to side with Loco, but don't think for a minute it
will help him with his anger levels.

I'm only on the side of truth and honesty.

And I'd probably go with a C&C over the Express. Remember, I had a Hinterhoeller built boat for 8
years, and my favorite monohull now is the Bruckman 48. (Bruckman was the other builder in the
C&C group.)

But the question is whether the early J30 is a better cruiser than an Express 30, and you've
presented no convincing evidence thus far.

Bobsprit October 27th 03 09:19 PM

Let's Compare!!!

And I'd probably go with a C&C over the Express.

That does it. I'm trading up to an Express!

RB

Jonathan Ganz October 27th 03 09:21 PM

Let's Compare!!!

A large interior is not a good idea for passagemaking
or long distance cruising, just for day sailing or charter.

You didn't compare helm station or cockpit in the photos
so no judgement can be rendered.

Bobsprit October 27th 03 09:23 PM

Let's Compare!!!

But the question is whether the early J30 is a better cruiser than an Express
30, and you've
presented no convincing evidence thus far.

Jeff, OF COURSE IT ISN'T. The J-30 is a fun boat with a reasonable interior,
but there's no place on deck to relax, a way-small cockpit and a motion that is
like being in a laundry dryer in anything but calm conditions. The Express has
a big cockpit and a wheel, along with a good cabin layout. In many respects it
IS a C&C 30 or 32, but with a far more serious bend towards racing. It's
impossible to bash one boat without bashing the other.
Sort of like the Baltic lover bashing Swans, except in a much poorer way!

RB

Jeff Morris October 27th 03 09:33 PM

Let's Compare!!!

I knew you'd see it my way.

Bobsprit October 27th 03 09:38 PM

Let's Compare!!!

You didn't compare helm station or cockpit in the photos
so no judgement can be rendered.

The C&C 32 has a contoured helm seat, engine controls on the pedestal, 3
cockpit lockers, oversized self tailing winches all around...and so on.
On either side of the raised helm seat is perfect secure seating. The pedestal
is set behind the endboom which is also nice for taller folk. The cockpit is
perfect for 5 people, seven starts to get crowded, but that's so on most any
boat.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/alienrain.jpg

On this express 30 cockpit, there is a flat and uncomfortable hardky raised
helm seat. There is no aft lazerette as on the 32-Mine holds all canvas, dock
lines and so on. Are there engine controls on the pedestal? In some respects it
looks like a older version of my cockpit with sharp edges. The 32 also has
larger cleats and redundant massive horns aft.
Here's the rather mundane Express 30 cockpit..note the placement of the
traveler--good for racing.

http://www.express30.com/photos/images/DSCN1390.jpg

RB

Capt. Mooron October 27th 03 09:48 PM

Let's Compare!!!

You're right... it probably is the camera.Want to borrow my Nikon F4 and
equipment? That fisheye of mine will make Alien's cabin look like a
warehouse.... :-P

CM

Jonathan Ganz October 27th 03 10:14 PM

Let's Compare!!!

You didn't have a link for the J30. Seems to me that
comparing winches is probably not a valid comparison
since these are changeable.

Kelton Joyner October 27th 03 11:07 PM

Let's Compare!!!

When my wife and I are doing 3hrs on 3hrs off for the five day trip from
Exuma to Tortola, it's nice to sit a while!

The Captains Nemesis wrote:
What's all this thing about sitting down behind the wheel while
sailing?
You guys oughta buy powerboats.

On 27 Oct 2003 21:38:31 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

[...]

Oz1...of the 3 twins.
Who spends an hour tuning before every race not just when new sails go on

SAIL LOCO October 27th 03 11:56 PM

Let's Compare!!!

On this express 30 cockpit, there is a flat and uncomfortable hardky raised
helm seat. There is no aft lazerette as on the 32-Mine holds all canvas, dock
lines and so on. Are there engine controls on the pedestal?

Not only can't you read but aparently you can't see. Plus I thought you said
you were on a Express.
1. Real sailors sit outboard. Please notice the nicely done angled low
commings. They are level when the boat is heeled. Try sitting on the tall
skinny commings on your boat for any length of time.
2. There are lockers/lazerettes under each seat. There are 2 small aft lockers
one being a properly vented one for a propane tank.
3. Duh, anyone can see the engine controls on the pedestal.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

SAIL LOCO October 27th 03 11:57 PM

Let's Compare!!!

That fisheye of mine will make Alien's cabin look like a warehouse

Probably true since it looks like a storage shed now.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Donal October 27th 03 11:59 PM

Let's Compare!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
The Cabin of the Express 30...

http://www.express30.com/photos/images/DSCN1359.jpg

The Cabin of the C&C 32....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/int23.jpg

The J30 Interior....

http://www.jboats.com/j30/images/j30maincabaft.jpg

What a joke the Express is as a cruiser! And that's the best pic of an

Express
30 interior I can find! Looks like a mid 80's Catalina 27 inside!

Bwahahahaha!

Jeeeze, Bob, The C&C cabin looks dreadful. That starboard side dinette
looks like something that you would find on a 70's 24 footer.

Still, at least you didn't pay very much for it. However, I am surprised
that someone with your good sense of taste would publish such a photo.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron October 28th 03 12:45 AM

Let's Compare!!!

"Donal" wrote in message

| Still, at least you didn't pay very much for it. However, I am
surprised
| that someone with your good sense of taste would publish such a photo.

It has to be the photography.... you can make the nicest interior look very
plain with substandard equipment , a poor eye and mediocre skills. While I
could go to NYC and take some good shots of Alien for Bob.... he'd have to
hire a professional to make the interior even approach tasteful and well
appointed.

Honestly speaking I believe Simon has displayed better taste with his daring
foray into the realm of the interior design than the bland, stark,
uninspired interior of Alien. It shows Bob's true courage to see him not
only post pictures but compliment his own mundane taste in decor.

After seeing Bob's entertainment room I immediately realized he was no mere
minimalist..... he truly lacked even the slightest comprehension of balance
& colour. Understand that to Bob... function is associated with a remote
control and form is something he sees at the gallery or museum but does not
comprehend.

Let's celebrate his courage and not condemn his lack of good taste.

CM

katysails October 28th 03 02:07 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Let's celebrate his courage and not condemn his lack of good taste.

CM

Oh gag...touchy-feeley just ain't you, mooron.....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Lady Pilot October 30th 03 12:22 AM

Let's Compare!!!

"katysails" wrote:

Let's celebrate his courage and not condemn his lack of good taste.

CM

Oh gag...touchy-feeley just ain't you, mooron.....

Only when he is with me....I hope...

LP

katysails October 30th 03 01:21 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Only when he is with me....I hope...

LP

TMI....BTW, want to borrow my boots and riding crop? (You can't have the =
spurs....)

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Capt. Mooron October 30th 03 01:40 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Heh.... don't be givin' that young lady any ideas there Kitty!

Anyway this thoroughbred is a soft mouthed and responds better to a
hackamore and bareback configuration.

Lure me in with an apple, convince me with some tender affection and the
ride can be as smooth as silk drawn over sculpted marble. ;-)

CM

katysails October 30th 03 03:03 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Lure me in with an apple, convince me with some tender affection=20

Having trained many a thoroughbred in my day, I can tell you that those =
attributes are more suitable for a hobby horse....too easy....but then, =
maybe LP is a "man whisperer" rather than the hobble and throw type....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Capt. Mooron October 30th 03 10:38 AM

Let's Compare!!!

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
| On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:40:56 -0400, "Capt. Mooron"
| wrote:
|
| ride can be as smooth as silk drawn over sculpted marble. ;-)
|
| CM
|
| There ya go braggin again!

What's that coughing and sputtering in your garage.... the Ferrari?

CM

katysails October 31st 03 12:29 AM

Let's Compare!!!

I told you, go get a room and keep your bedroom drivel to yourselves!

Cheers MC

A little bit of jealousy creeping through there, MC? She'd probably =
play nice with you too if you asked her to.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Capt. Mooron October 31st 03 12:32 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Please don't try and relate my sensual script to your base past experiences
with women.....

CM

The_navigator© October 31st 03 01:41 AM

Let's Compare!!!

Nah, just can't stand such obvious double entres. I have no interest in
one so obvious. Even subtle Babs couldn't seduce me (remeber how she
turned Neal on?)!

Cheers MC