Bobsprit

Default Stabe Binocs

Anyone using those stabilized binoculars? comments? Thinking of spending so
cash that's lying around.

Thanks,

RB
Jeff Morris

I was actually going to suggest that (unless you wanted to contribute to my daughter's
college fund) you blow some of your excess cash on some stabilized binoculars.

I've had Canon 10x30 IS for several years and love them. The first night I had them I was
able to clearly see the moons of Jupiter from my front yard, standing under a street
light.

The stabilization on these is rather small, but it does help a lot. The 10X optics means
you can pick up buoy and sail numbers much earlier than with standard 7X50's. Of course,
it isn't the best for night vision.

The biggest factor is the light weight - this only weighs 22 ozs - most 7x50s are 35 to 45
ozs. The difference is that you can hold the Canon with one hand while your driving the
boat and get usable 10X magnification.

I haven't looked at the newer models, there may be better ones available now. I'm told
that the Canon 12X is harder to use one handed, but I've never used it.

I got a great deal at B&H, but they raised the price. Check around.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Anyone using those stabilized binoculars? comments? Thinking of spending so
cash that's lying around.

Thanks,

RB

Bobsprit

I haven't looked at the newer models, there may be better ones available now.
I'm told
that the Canon 12X is harder to use one handed, but I've never used it.

I got a great deal at B&H, but they raised the price. Check aroun

Thanks. I'll try out a few models. Don't want to spend 1K or anything crazy. I
just got a new pair of Fujinons that float...without the strap and have a nice
center focus..just 239.00 at BoatUS. I gave away my old Fujinons.

RB

Bobsprit

Let me add that at about $400 the 10x30 IS is reasonable bang for the buck. I
wouldn't
consider spending a grand on a toy like this.

Right.

RB

Pockets of Resistance

On 22 Oct 2003 12:49:16 -0500, anonymous wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:10:09 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom said:

The 10X optics means
you can pick up buoy and sail numbers much earlier than with standard 7X50's. Of course,
it isn't the best for night vision.

Seems to me that unless you're willing to carry two sets, or you never sail
at night, you'd be nuts to go with anything other than 7X50s. There's a
reason why the USN uses them, and you've identified it.

I bought a pair of 10x50's thinking I'd like the extra magnification.
It made it hard to hold an image steady. They're broken now, and when
I replace them it will be with a pair of 7x50's.

Horvath

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:00:12 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote this crap:

Of course I carry two binoculars, the good ones for me, the old 7x50s for the guests and
for night sailing. I also keep 8x24s in the car and take them on the boat for trips when
I remember.

I keep a pair of Bushnells 4X30s in the car, for hanging around the
Catholic girl's schoolyard.

(I'm not kidding. Don't let my fiance find out. She'll want me to
take pictures.)

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.