Sean

Default Crimes in Marinas and anchorages

Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
anyone know of anything specific?

Thanks
Doug Kanter

The FBI collects stats on all sorts of crime. Maybe their web site's got
something. Or, your insurance company??? Unless your agent's a one-trick
pony, he might know who to call for that kind of info.

"Sean" none wrote in message
Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
anyone know of anything specific?

Thanks

Pockets of Resistance

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:36:29 -0400, Sean none wrote:

Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

The FBI collects all sorts of crime stats. Check their website.
Capt. Mooron

Why?.... you looking for easier pickin's?

CM
"Sean" none wrote in message
| Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
| committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?
|
| I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
| anyone know of anything specific?
|
| Thanks

Capt. Mooron

I guess you don't hang around City Marina.... I hear lots of stuff goes
missing there.
Didn't someone here once brag it only took them a minute or two to steal a
CQR one night?

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| The biggest crime at most marinas is the nice sailboats that sit at the
dock
| and don't get sailed.
|
| Scotty
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Why?.... you looking for easier pickin's?
|
| CM
| "Sean" none wrote in message
| | Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
| | committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?
| |
| | I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
| | anyone know of anything specific?
| |
| | Thanks

Scott Vernon

"Sean" none wrote in message
| Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
| committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?
|
| I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
| anyone know of anything specific?
|
| Thanks

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Mooron" wrote ...
I guess you don't hang around City Marina....

No, I'm straight.

SV

Simple Simon

Crime in anchorages is almost non-existant because folks
who live-aboard watch out for each other's stuff. This,
along with the open visibility of boats anchored or moored,
makes such things as burglary difficult without the perp
being caught and drowned. We live aboard yachtsmen can
and do take care of any problem with crime because the
police certainly won't. Case in point - there was a drug
dealer who moved in on a derelict vessel and the stream
of addicts coming and going to said vessel commenced
stealing things from boats they passed by in the middle
of the night. It wasn't long before this floating crack
house burned down to the waterline one afternoon.
when all the druggies were ashore. End of problem.
They got the hint and they certainly could not go to
the police about it.

Those who live ashore in a marina are generally a low
class sort who would be living in a trailer court if they
could afford it. There is always plenty of theft in
marinas. There always will be even in the high end
marinas because it is an easy area from which to steal.
Even crooks who live on the land often make their way
to the marinas for their thievery. Marinas charge huge
rates to tie up to a dock but don't spend a plug nickle
on any serious security. Theives know this. Often, it
turns out to be marina workers themselves doing the
stealing.

In Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas, there is a very real
problem with breaking, entering and theft from yachts
in marinas while one rarely, if ever, hears of theft from
anchored boats. Thieves go for the easy mark and stealing
from an anchored boat is often hazardous to their lives.
It just isn't so easy to run from the scene of the crime when
the crime is committed on the water.

S.Simon

"Sean" none wrote in message ...
Deos anyone know if it's possible to get statistics on crimes
committed in anchorages or marinas in the NorthEast USA?

I'm assuming the Coast Guard is a generic place to start but does
anyone know of anything specific?

Thanks

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Crimes in Marinas and anchorages STATS

found some "stats"

http://www.iccwbo.org/ccs/imb_piracy...y_maps2002.asp