Wally

Default Have you all seen . . .

Simple Simon wrote:
Have you all seen what the underbody of a truly fast little
cruising yacht looks like?

Here's your chance if you've not had a chance to.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/haulout.html

Neal, when was your Bahamas haulout? If I'm right in thinking that you
antifouled using Micron Extra, I'd be very interested to hear how fouled or
not the bottom is.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Simple Simon

I used Petit Trinidad. I used two gallons which allows me to put eight coats
on the rudder, six coats around the waterline and down a couple of feet,
and four coats everywhere else. It was done towards the end of 2001.

I mixed two little bottles of Super DI-ALL MC-1 mildewcide (active
ingredient tributyltin oxide) into each gallon. The paint is still in pretty
good shape but is wearing a little thin in places because I scrub it
with a scrub brush about once a month after the first year. From a
distance when heeled the bottom looks like it has just been painted.
There is no growth showing mostly because of the scrub brush action.

I can probably get another year out of it but I'm planning on painting
it again this winter.

S.Simon

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Simple Simon wrote:
Have you all seen what the underbody of a truly fast little
cruising yacht looks like?

Here's your chance if you've not had a chance to.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/haulout.html

Neal, when was your Bahamas haulout? If I'm right in thinking that you
antifouled using Micron Extra, I'd be very interested to hear how fouled or
not the bottom is.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:

I used Petit Trinidad. I used two gallons which allows me to put
eight coats on the rudder, six coats around the waterline and down
a couple of feet, and four coats everywhere else. It was done
towards the end of 2001.

Why put extra around the waterline? Increased chance of growth due to
sunlight?

I mixed two little bottles of Super DI-ALL MC-1 mildewcide (active
ingredient tributyltin oxide) into each gallon.

I'll have a look at the Micron Extra docs to see if it has that in it -
sounds familiar.

The paint is still in pretty
good shape but is wearing a little thin in places because I scrub it
with a scrub brush about once a month after the first year. From a
distance when heeled the bottom looks like it has just been painted.
There is no growth showing mostly because of the scrub brush action.

So, regular scrubbing is a good idea, I take it.

I can probably get another year out of it but I'm planning on painting
it again this winter.

Sounds like it's lasted well - the Micron Extra is supposed to last two
years (4 coats on the main areas).

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

SAIL LOCO

One can see the thickness of the keel which is necessary for proper lift in
a shoal keel.

The above quote from the photo caption is really funny. I'll bet that thing
really goes to windward with that fat balloon keel. That thing might give the
propper ballast for it's size but trust me it offers no lift.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Jeff Morris

The fact that it may be a NACA foil does not mean that it is well suited to the task. It
only means the NACA, the forerunner of NASA, cataloged the properties of the shape back in
1932. I assume you're talking about the symmetrical "4-digit" series, which would have a
round front and maximum thickness about 30% aft. These have been the standard starting
point for keel and rudder designs for the last 70 years.

Perhaps you could give us the foil number, and explain why you picked that particular
shape, and why you think its better that the one specified by Bill Tripp.

Frankly, every time I look at those pictures I wonder how the boat ever goes upwind.

-jeff