The_navigator©

Default Invention of the magnetron -an essential component of radar andmicroweace ovens.

Riiiiiiight.

Cheers MC

Myron Florin wrote:

The first reporter observation of radar effects (radio ranging) occured in
the 1890's in Colorado Springs, Colorado. With the same principles, the
Schumann resonances of the earth were first discovered and measured.

"The_navigator©" wrote in message

Bwhahahahha. Who built the first radar array? Did the US even have an
array?

Cheers MC

Jeff Morris wrote:

We were spending
billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

Myron Florin

J.D. Jackson "Classical Electrodynamics" (undergrad EM text at CalTech)
page 363:
in footnote to Schumann resonances discussing Nikola Tesla in Colorado
Springs: "this remarkable genius clearly outlines the idea of the earth as a
resonating circuit (he did not know of the ionosphere), estimates the lowest
resonant frequency a 6 Hz (close to the 6.6 Hz for a perfectly conducting
sphere), and describes generation and detection of these low frequency
waves"

and straight from the horse's mouth, "Experiments with Alternate Currents of
High Potential and High Frequency" including the Appendix "Transmission of
Electric Energy Without Wires" , Nikola Tesla, 1904, pp 149-162 describe in
detail how Tesla made these measurements in the 1890's.

JD Jackson is a well respected authority on Electromagnetics. Tesla's book
was published in 1904.

The principles of radar were clearly demonstrated and used to calculate the
resonance of the earth (using time of flight of low frequency radio signals)
and the distance from Tesla's lab to the Rocky Mountain foothills.

Jeff Morris wrote:

We were spending
billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

Myron Florin

and here's a link for the 1904 published book by Tesla.

http://www.tesla.hu/tesla/lectures/1...0/18920200.rtf

If the appendix is there you can read it for yourself. Pages 149-162.

Jeff Morris wrote:

We were spending
billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

Donal

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
I'd say that supports exactly what I've been saying. Given the timing, it

was certainly a
huge improvement, but it was one of many necessary to create a workable

system. Your link
makes it sound like they invented the cavity magnetron, which is certainly

not true. And
don't forget, at this point in time, the US wasn't even in the war. We

were spending
billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

I bet that you've seen a Hollywood movie about it???

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris

No, I don't recall seeing one. But I did spend a lot of time in the "temporary buildings"
that housed the old RadLab - they were finally torn down a few years ago.

This reminds of the 1952 British movie "The Sound Barrier" which sort of claims that
Geoffrey de Havilland broke the sound barrier by "reversing the controls." In Chuck
Yeager's words it was "utter shuck from start to finish."

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
I'd say that supports exactly what I've been saying. Given the timing, it

was certainly a
huge improvement, but it was one of many necessary to create a workable

system. Your link
makes it sound like they invented the cavity magnetron, which is certainly

not true. And
don't forget, at this point in time, the US wasn't even in the war. We

were spending
billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

I bet that you've seen a Hollywood movie about it???

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

Actually it was a mix of truth and fiction. Several aircraft crashed at
high speed because the controls did not work properly (they didn't have
the fully rotating tail invented by the British). It is possible that
someone might have survived a loss of control incident by pushing the
stick forward...

Cheers MC

"Donal" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message

I'd say that supports exactly what I've been saying. Given the timing, it

was certainly a

huge improvement, but it was one of many necessary to create a workable

system. Your link

makes it sound like they invented the cavity magnetron, which is certainly

not true. And

don't forget, at this point in time, the US wasn't even in the war. We

were spending

billions of dollars developing Radar to save Britain.

I bet that you've seen a Hollywood movie about it???

Regards

Donal

Vito

The navigator© wrote:

I'd say the US knows a gift when they see it?

Sometimes. Some Morris & MG sedans brought over had Hydrolastic (sp?)
suspension that I thot a great advance. Basically all four wheels were
suspended each by a "bag" containing plain water and antifreeze. The
bags on each side were connected via an orifice. In effect the front
held up the back and vice versa with the orifice providing dampning.
When one hit a bump *both* ends when up half the amount it would have
done with conventional spring/shocks providing a much improved ride,
especially on choppy roads. Moreover, the car didn't lean when cornering
since the fluid on the off side had nowhere to go, providing good
handling despite a plush ride.

Their front-drive cross engine congiguration survives in almost every
car currently made but somehow the simple but effective suspension never
caught on and I know of no cars using such a suspension today.
Hanoi Jane

Towards the close of 1898 a systematic research, carried on for a number of
years with the object of perfecting a method of transmission of electrical
energy through the natural medium, led me to recognize three important
necessities: First, to develop a transmitter of great power; second, to
perfect means for individualizing and isolating the energy transmitted; and,
third, to ascertain the laws of propagation of currents through the earth
and the atmosphere. Various reasons, not the least of which was the help
proffered by my friend Leonard E. Curtis and the Colorado Springs Electric
Company, determined me to select for my experimental investigations the
large plateau, two thousand meters above sea-level, in the vicinity of that
delightful resort, which I reached late in May, 1899. I had not been there
but a few days when I congratulated myself on the happy choice and I began
the task, for which I had long trained myself, with a grateful sense and
full of inspiring hope. The perfect purity of the air, the unequaled beauty
of the sky, the imposing sight of a high mountain range, the quiet and
restfulness of the place--all around contributed to make the conditions for
scientific observations ideal. To this was added the exhilarating influence
of a glorious climate and a singular sharpening of the senses. In those
regions the organs undergo perceptible physical changes. The eyes assume an
extraordinary limpidity, improving vision; the ears dry out and become more
susceptible to sound. Objects can be clearly distinguished there at
distances such that I prefer to have them told by someone else, and I have
heard--this I can venture to vouch for--the claps of thunder seven and eight
hundred kilometers away. I might have done better still, had it not been
tedious to wait for the sounds to arrive, in definite intervals, as heralded
precisely by an electrical indicating apparatus--nearly an hour before.

In the middle of June, while preparations for other work were going on, I
arranged one of my receiving transformers with the view of determining in a
novel manner, experimentally, the electric potential of the globe and
studying its periodic and casual fluctuations. This formed part of a plan
carefully mapped out in advance. A highly sensitive, self-restorative
device, controlling a recording instrument, was included in the secondary
circuit, while the primary was connected to the ground and an elevated
terminal of adjustable capacity. The variations of potential gave rise to
electric surgings in the primary; these generated secondary currents, which
in turn affected the sensitive device and recorder in proportion to their
intensity. The earth was found to be, literally, alive with electrical
vibrations, and soon I was deeply absorbed in the interesting investigation.
No better opportunities for such observations as I intended to make could be
found anywhere. Colorado is a country famous for the natural displays of
electric force. In that dry and rarefied atmosphere the sun's rays beat the
objects with fierce intensity. I raised steam, to a dangerous pressure, in
barrels filled with concentrated salt solution, and the tin-foil coatings of
some of my elevated terminals shriveled up in the fiery blaze. An
experimental high-tension transformer, carelessly exposed to the rays of the
setting sun, had most of its insulating compound melted out and was rendered
useless. Aided by the dryness and rarefaction of the air, the water
evaporates as in a boiler, and static electricity is developed in abundance.
Lightning discharges are, accordingly, very frequent and sometimes of
inconceivable violence. On one occasion approximately twelve thousand
discharges occurred in two hours, and all in a radius of certainly less than
fifty kilometers from the laboratory. Many of them resembled gigantic trees
of fire with the trunks up or down. I never saw fire balls, but as
compensation for my disappointment I succeeded later in determining the mode
of their formation and producing them artificially.

In the latter part of the same month I noticed several times that my
instruments were affected stronger by discharges taking place at great
distances than by those near by. This puzzled me very much. What was the
cause? A number of observations proved that it could not be due to the
differences in the intensity of the individual discharges, and I readily
ascertained that the phenomenon was not the result of a varying relation
between the periods of my receiving circuits and those of the terrestrial
disturbances. One night, as I was walking home with an assistant, meditating
over these experiences, I was suddenly staggered by a thought. Years ago,
when I wrote a chapter of my lecture before the Franklin Institute and the
National Electric Light Association, it had presented itself to me, but I
dismissed it as absurd and impossible. I banished it again. Nevertheless, my
instinct was aroused and somehow I felt that I was nearing a great
revelation.

It was on the third of July--the date I shall never forget--when I obtained
the first decisive experimental evidence of a truth of overwhelming
importance for the advancement of humanity. A dense mass of strongly charged
clouds gathered in the west and towards the evening a violent storm broke
loose which, after spending much of its fury in the mountains, was driven
away with great velocity over the plains. Heavy and long persisting arcs
formed almost in regular time intervals. My observations were now greatly
facilitated and rendered more accurate by the experiences already gained. I
was able to handle my instruments quickly and I was prepared. The recording
apparatus being properly adjusted, its indications became fainter and
fainter with the increasing distance of the storm, until they ceased
altogether. I was watching in eager expectation. Surely enough, in a little
while the indications again began, grew stronger and stronger and, after
passing through a maximum, gradually decreased and ceased once more. Many
times, in regularly recurring intervals, the same actions were repeated
until the storm which, as evident from simple computations, was moving with
nearly constant speed, had retreated to a distance of about three hundred
kilometers. Nor did these strange actions stop then, but continued to
manifest themselves with undiminished force. Subsequently, similar
observations were also made by my assistant, Mr. Fritz Lowenstein, and
shortly afterward several admirable opportunities presented themselves which
brought out, still more forcibly, and unmistakably, the true nature of the
wonderful phenomenon. No doubt, whatever remained: I was observing
stationary waves.

As the source of disturbances moved away the receiving circuit came
successively upon their nodes and loops. Impossible as it seemed, this
planet, despite its vast extent, behaved like a conductor of limited
dimensions. The tremendous significance of this fact in the transmission of
energy by my system had already become quite clear to me. Not only was it
practicable to send telegraphic messages to any distance without wires, as I
recognized long ago, but also to impress upon the entire globe the faint
modulations of the human voice, far more still, to transmit power, in
unlimited amounts, to any terrestrial distance and almost without loss.

With these stupendous possibilities in sight, and the experimental evidence
before me that their realization was henceforth merely a question of expert
knowledge, patience and skill, I attacked vigorously the development of my
magnifying transmitter, now, however, not so much with the original
intention of producing one of great power, as with the object of learning
how to construct the best one. This is, essentially, a circuit of very high
self-induction and small resistance which in its arrangement, mode of
excitation and action, may be said to be the diametrical opposite of a
transmitting circuit typical of telegraphy by Hertzian or electromagnetic
radiations. It is difficult to form an adequate idea of the marvelous power
of this unique appliance, by the aid of which the globe will be transformed.
The electromagnetic radiations being reduced to an insignificant quantity,
and proper conditions of resonance maintained, the circuit acts like an
immense pendulum, storing indefinitely the energy of the primary exciting
impulses and impressions upon the earth of the primary exciting impulses and
impressions upon the earth and its conducting atmosphere uniform harmonic
oscillations of intensities which, as actual tests have shown, may be pushed
so far as to surpass those attained in the natural displays of static
electricity.

Simultaneously with these endeavors, the means of individualization and
isolation were gradually improved. Great importance was attached to this,
for it was found that simple tuning was not sufficient to meet the vigorous
practical requirements. The fundamental idea of employing a number of
distinctive elements, co-operatively associated, for the purpose of
isolating energy transmitted, I trace directly to my perusal of Spencer's
clear and suggestive exposition of the human nerve mechanism. The influence
of this principle on the transmission of intelligence, and electrical energy
in general, cannot as yet be estimated, for the art is still in the
embryonic stage; but many thousands of simultaneous telegraphic and
telephonic messages, through one single conducting channel, natural or
artificial, and without serious mutual interference, are certainly
practicable, while millions are possible. On the other hand, any desired
degree of individualization may be secured by the use of a great number of
co-operative elements and arbitrary variation of their distinctive features
and order of succession. For obvious reasons, the principle will also be
valuable in the extension of the distance of transmission.

Progress though of necessity slow was steady and sure, for the objects aimed
at were in a direction of my constant study and exercise. It is, therefore,
not astonishing that before the end of 1899 I completed the task undertaken
and reached the results which I have announced in my article in the Century
Magazine of June, 1900, every word of which was carefully weighed.

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
http://www.marconicalling.com/museum...-i=64-s=6.html

"In Britain the Royal Navy had for some time been aware of the
importance of ultra-short wave radio for inter-ship communication and
early in the Second World War had contracted with Birmingham University
to conduct research into transmitting and receiving valves functioning
at 10 centimetres. Research conducted by two young scientists assigned
to the project, John Randall and Harry Boot, resulted in the creation of
the cavity magnetron, which was small enough to be held in one hand, yet
could produce 400 watts of power at the required 10 centimetre
wavelength, over 100 times more than the most powerful valve then in
existence, the klystron.

In August 1940, at the height of the Battle of Britain, the cavity
magnetron was taken to the USA by a small party of scientists and
service officers, led by Tizard. The Americans were so impressed that
production of the British cavity magnetron began within weeks."

I'd say the US knows a gift when they see it?

Cheers MC

Hanoi Jane

"The_navigator©" wrote in

I'd say the US knows a gift when they see it?

Lend-lease: the Brits know a gift too!