Sidney Greenstreet

Default True sailing discussion on the rise!

That's right! People are discussing technical sailing issues and learning!
Metallurgy, sails, forces, rocket planes - it's all here folks.

Betcha didn't know about torsionally pre loaded propeller shafts - they
triple the life of your transmission by absorbing the shock of shifting into
gear. They also reduce cavitation! Can't use them on rocket planes because
they have no transmissions. But if they did, they'd be swell!

Another handy tip - use leather gaskets on your liquid oxygen systems!

Next lesson - predict the tides with an octant!

DSK

Sidney Greenstreet wrote:

That's right! People are discussing technical sailing issues and learning!
Metallurgy, sails, forces, rocket planes - it's all here folks.

Betcha didn't know about torsionally pre loaded propeller shafts - they
triple the life of your transmission by absorbing the shock of shifting into
gear. They also reduce cavitation!

No, I didn't know that.... BTW how do you "torsionally pre load" a shaft, keep a
brake on it until 100% load is reached? Doesn't sound too practical. And I think
that if anything, a torsionally pre loaded shaft would exaggerate cavitation &
shock loading on the tranny.

Can't use them on rocket planes because
they have no transmissions. But if they did, they'd be swell!

Another handy tip - use leather gaskets on your liquid oxygen systems!

Sounds like a good way to have a very dramatic fire.

Next lesson - predict the tides with an octant!

What happens when the octopus' big brother comes along to get it back?

You're a hoot Gilly, please stick around.

DSK

JoAnn Castle

"DSK" wrote in message
Sidney Greenstreet wrote:

That's right! People are discussing technical sailing issues and

learning!
Metallurgy, sails, forces, rocket planes - it's all here folks.

Betcha didn't know about torsionally pre loaded propeller shafts - they
triple the life of your transmission by absorbing the shock of shifting

into
gear. They also reduce cavitation!

No, I didn't know that.... BTW how do you "torsionally pre load" a shaft,

keep a
brake on it until 100% load is reached? Doesn't sound too practical. And I

think
that if anything, a torsionally pre loaded shaft would exaggerate

cavitation &
shock loading on the tranny.

Make the shaft out of a spring!

Can't use them on rocket planes because
they have no transmissions. But if they did, they'd be swell!

Another handy tip - use leather gaskets on your liquid oxygen systems!

Sounds like a good way to have a very dramatic fire.

Explosion, not fire!

Next lesson - predict the tides with an octant!

What happens when the octopus' big brother comes along to get it back?

You're a hoot Gilly, please stick around.

I'm just warming up.

DSK

DSK

JoAnn Castle wrote:
Make the shaft out of a spring!

That would not "torsionally pre load" the shaft, but it would provide a torsion
buffer or shock absorber if you prefer the term.

Sounds like a good way to have a very dramatic fire.

Explosion, not fire!

That's what I said.

An explosion is simply a very dramatic fire.

BTW many kinds of hair conditioner, mousse, etc etc, will react 'dramatically'
in the presence of medical oxygen. Beware when taking a loved one with a fancy
hair-do to the emergency room!

DSK

Myron Florin

"DSK" wrote in message

BTW many kinds of hair conditioner, mousse, etc etc, will react

'dramatically'
in the presence of medical oxygen. Beware when taking a loved one with a

fancy
hair-do to the emergency room!

DSK

Doug,

My sincerest thanks, I can never repay you fully for this timely, life
saving advice . As you may know, I insist that Mrs Gilligan wear a 2 foot
tall beehive hairdo at all times. My heart would break at the sight of that
towering inferno. Should a medical emergency arise, I shall refrain from
taking the Missus to the emergency room.

FS: 39 Sailing Books, in Portland, OR Over40pirate Marketplace 0 June 18th 04 05:26 PM
History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle DuLaze Boat Building 0 June 17th 04 04:10 PM
Motor Boat Sailing Oke Fami Boat Building 4 April 21st 04 08:45 PM
Yes, It's True!!! Bobsprit ASA 18 September 25th 03 12:57 AM
Anyone Sailing, besides me??? Gilligan ASA 37 July 19th 03 05:15 AM