Scott Vernon

Default Hurricane Don Juan...

Yes, the surge is what caused most of the damage around here, none to my
boat. Steve helped me tie up right. They say our dock won't have power back
on till next spring (no pump out or fuel).
Do you have a real TV? We watched DVD movies on Lisa's laptop this w/e.
Where exactly did you ride it out? Do the cinder blocks do double duty as
fenders?

Scotty

"DSK" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:

Hey Doug. How'd ya'all fare with the cane?

Hi Scott-
Nice pics, did you get any of the 8 foot surge that was reported up your

way?

We had a few days delay, but no damage. We lucked into the safest

hurricane
hole possible, and spent most of the storm munching popcorn & watching old
comedy movies. I got to test a few of my theories about anti chafe gear,

and
found that a cheap towel & wire ties works very well indeed. We also

tested a
theory about improving ground tackle holding power by putting cinderblocks
along our chain rode, secured in place with a second chain & shackles. It

was
awkward to lay in place but would have held the QE2.

There were 7 other boats in our same area, none suffered any damage. The

worst
part was that the Mexican restaurant right next to our wharf was closed

after
the storm, no electricity. I offered to run a power line from our

generator.

After the storm, I was amazed at how many people spent their time driving
around aimlessly looking for an open gas station, so they could drive

around
aimlessly some more.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails

Hey Doug! Please tell us you didn't sink or something out there!

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32