BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bobsprit exposed (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17144-bobsprit-exposed.html)

Donal September 2nd 03 11:38 AM

Bobsprit exposed

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Mooron asked:
Yeah Okay Bob.... will you be turning off the radar at any critical point

"avoid" confusion???

You don't start basic nav learning with radar...or do you?

Finally, the charade comes to an end.

Bob has admitted that he is only *started* basic nav learning!

After all these years of extensive sailing,....... after the hundreds of
photos, .... after the thousands of words ........, Bobsprit is starting to
learn basic navigation.

Even funnier, is the fact that someone actually believes that Bob will
"eventually" make a good sailor.

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit September 2nd 03 11:47 AM

Bobsprit exposed

You don't start basic nav learning with radar...or do you?

Finally, the charade comes to an end.

Bob has admitted that he is only *started* basic nav learning!

Donal, again...can't you at least make some effort? It's SUZANNE who's
learning. Do you suggest she start with radar? Here's your chance!

RB

Donal September 2nd 03 12:16 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
You don't start basic nav learning with radar...or do you?

Finally, the charade comes to an end.

Bob has admitted that he is only *started* basic nav learning!

Donal, again...can't you at least make some effort? It's SUZANNE who's
learning. Do you suggest she start with radar? Here's your chance!

Every time that you are cornered, you try to blame Suzanne. It's
disgusting!

I notice that you edited out Mooron's question. It was clearly addressed
to *you*, and your reply showed that you had understood the question
correctly.

You're busted!

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit September 2nd 03 12:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Hey Donal, anything is possible...lok at how you've improved

But he's still driving a Beneteau.

RB

Bobsprit September 2nd 03 01:05 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I notice that you edited out Mooron's question. It was clearly addressed
to *you*, and your reply showed that you had understood the question
correctly.

I did not do the nav work on the trip. Suzanne did. You aren't reading the
threads.

RB

Bobsprit September 2nd 03 01:06 PM

Bobsprit exposed

you try to blame Suzanne.

I "blame" suzanne for her excellent nav work!
You're right!

RB

Donal September 2nd 03 01:36 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
On 02 Sep 2003 11:54:32 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Oh but its a First ya know!!!
They're waaaay better than the rest...just ask an owner....Donal,
Donnnnaaaaal!

The represent good value for the budget conscious buyer.

We're not all rich, you know!

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris September 2nd 03 01:55 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Yes, its clear that Suzanne is learning. This is good, since you have demonstrated no
aptitude for the art, and no inclination to learn.

I don't believe Suzy should start with radar - its appropriate to learn the traditional
skills first. However, since you think this was a difficult entrance, you should have had
the radar on - at least warmed up if not transmitting - since it would serve as the best
verification that you actually found the channel. If you were serious about learning, you
would have used this opportunity to see what the channel looks like on the screen. If
there had been an accident, you would have been held liable for not using it.

BTW, perhaps I missed it, but did you ever report the state of the tide when you entered?

-j

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 02:04 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I don't believe Suzy should start with radar - its appropriate to learn the
traditional
skills first. However, since you think this was a difficult entrance, you
should have had
the radar on - at least warmed up if not transmitting

As I indicated, the radar was on standby. Suzanne's instant aptitude for
navigation will probably end up helping me in the end.

RB

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 02:05 PM

Bobsprit exposed

BTW, perhaps I missed it, but did you ever report the state of the tide when
you entered?

Nope. I never reported it. The state of the tide and prevailing winds are a
factor when entering Port Jeff.
Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

RB

Jeff Morris September 2nd 03 03:35 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I thought I saw a number of queries and comments on the tide, all unanswered. Given that
the current in the channel can be over 2.5 knots, I would think you would remember whether
it was ebb or flood. In fact, you should have determined this before commiting to this
destination. Further, the combination with the wind can be especially nasty, but I don't
remember you mentioning the wind direction.

It sure is nice that Suzy can navigate her boat; it seems that when you borrow it, you
bounce off rocks!

Capt. Mooron September 2nd 03 03:35 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

| Nope. I never reported it. The state of the tide and prevailing winds are
| factor when entering Port Jeff.
| Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

Bob... the prevailing winds and tide are a factor when entering any "Port".

I just thought you should know that... ;-)

CM

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

Actually I already mentioned it,

Nope, you didn't. When did you mention wind direction. Repost it.

RB

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

long with the fact that it is mostly
a factor in the winter,

Oh, now it's MOSTLY in the winter!!

Bwahahahaa!

RB

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:57 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Bob... the prevailing winds and tide are a factor when entering any "Port".

I just thought you should know that... ;-)

They are a factor, but not always an important one. Sorry.

RB

Capt. Mooron September 3rd 03 01:34 AM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| Well actually they are of no consequence in deepwater ports with
| sheltered anchorages.....but hey whatever you say.

Right Oz.... of what consequence is wind and tides when sailing or
anchoring.

CM

Donal September 3rd 03 05:29 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:34:40 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| Well actually they are of no consequence in deepwater ports with
| sheltered anchorages.....but hey whatever you say.

Right Oz.... of what consequence is wind and tides when sailing or
anchoring.

CM

When ENTERING DEEPWATER PORTS the prevailing wind and tide is of
little relevance to a yacht.

I sail out of Portsmouth, which should qualify as a "deepwater" port. The
wind and tide are fairly important. It can get very messy on a spring ebb if
there is a bit more "south" in the wind than usual. In a F4, you can go
from fairly calm water to very rough in a couple of boatlengths. Good fun
if you're goose winging!!

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron September 3rd 03 08:07 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Donal" wrote in message
| I sail out of Portsmouth, which should qualify as a "deepwater" port.
The
| wind and tide are fairly important. It can get very messy on a spring ebb
if
| there is a bit more "south" in the wind than usual. In a F4, you can go
| from fairly calm water to very rough in a couple of boatlengths. Good
fun
| if you're goose winging!!

Waste of time Donal... Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle while counting the cash in his wallet for
all the crew to see. He doesn't "do" navigation...... or sailing for that
matter. He buys the boats to match his hat... he's rich you know!

Bwahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!

CM

Bobsprit September 3rd 03 08:11 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle

Clearly Mooron is an expert in this arena, Ozzy.
Better stand back.

RB

Donal September 3rd 03 11:21 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

Waste of time Donal... Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle while counting the cash in his wallet

for
all the crew to see. He doesn't "do" navigation...... or sailing for that
matter. He buys the boats to match his hat... he's rich you know!

I believe that he has TWO (yes TWO) fancy yachts in the Mediterranian.

I also believe that he owns them outright! No mortgage, or other
borrowings.

How does an ex-copper do that?

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit September 3rd 03 11:48 PM

Bobsprit exposed

My comment re wind and tide being of little consequence in deepwater
ports was NOT universal, and to think that would be Mooronic,

Mooron and Donal's best and only hope to score a point is to take each post in
it's most universal form, thereby finding fault with everything.
Too bad it's not working!

Bwahahaha!

RB

Donal September 3rd 03 11:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:29:26 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

I sail out of Portsmouth, which should qualify as a "deepwater" port.

The
wind and tide are fairly important. It can get very messy on a spring ebb

if
there is a bit more "south" in the wind than usual. In a F4, you can go
from fairly calm water to very rough in a couple of boatlengths. Good

fun
if you're goose winging!!

Yep, I remember it vaguely, been quite a while, the entrance is fairly
narrow, 150metres or so? and with the strong tides creating a riptide
situation you needed to time your entrance and exit AFA possible.
My comment re wind and tide being of little consequence in deepwater
ports was NOT universal, and to think that would be Mooronic, The
Solent being among the most difficult and changeable places I've
sailed.
My comment does applt to a very large and possibly most harbours in
the world....I'm sure Mooron will now doo a quick web search to offer
the exceptions and claim them as the majority.

Perhaps I should remind you of your own words:-
"When ENTERING DEEPWATER PORTS the prevailing wind and tide is of
little relevance to a yacht."

Mooron does not need to do any web search. Your statement was unequivocal
(sp?).

You were Bul****ting, and your bluff was called.

The importance of the prevailing wind and tide is nothing to do with the
depth of the port. The size of the harbour compared with the width of the
entrance determines the tidal flow.

Fort Jefferson is not a very big harbour, therefore ther is not a very big
flow through the entrance.

And yes, I know that the depth of the channel will influence the strebgth of
the flow!

Regards

Donal
--

It's his nature you know ;-)

Lady Pilot September 4th 03 02:33 AM

Bobsprit exposed

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Waste of time Donal... Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle while counting the cash in his

wallet for
all the crew to see. He doesn't "do" navigation...... or sailing for

that
matter. He buys the boats to match his hat... he's rich you know!

ROFL. Does the hat look like this one?

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/...erman+Hat+4567

LP

Donal September 4th 03 11:56 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

Donal......Get a life!!

How much money do I need?

Regards

Donal

Donal September 6th 03 12:19 AM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
There you go again.....What is it jealous or just plain dumb?

Jealous .. of course not! I'm just plain dumb.

BTW I'm impressed by your self-confidence. Very few coppers who only rose
to the dizzying heights of "Seargent" would boast so openly about their
achievements.

Regards

Donal

Donal September 6th 03 11:52 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 00:19:57 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:

BTW I'm impressed by your self-confidence. Very few coppers who only

rose
to the dizzying heights of "Seargent" would boast so openly about their
achievements.

Ummm you do know absolutely nothing eh Donal.

Absolutely! Nothing at all! I only exist to make you feel more
intelligent.

It was a 1st Class rank but hey you're forgiven,,being dumb and all

ahem What does "1st class rank" mean? Is that better than sergeant?

Once again, I find myself apologising for being too stupid to understand
you. Never mind! I'm content with my station in life. Maybe I should
wear a Greek Captain's hat to show how happy I am???

Regards

Donal
--
The Dumb (but happy) One

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 01:09 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| maybe, they are better than a ball cap because the overshadow your
| ears.
| My dad has lost the top bits of both ears to skin cancer so no ball
| caps for me.

So hair loss is hereditary in your family is it?
I can send you a pair of Arctic Fox ear muffs Ozzy!! It would match your
Greek Fisherman's Hat delightfully.

CM

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 03:29 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| So you have no taste either?

If that was the case ... I certainly wouldn't be idiotic enough to boast
about it on a global basis and expect to be though of as fashionable... like
you did. What are you modeling now Ozzy a bone in your nose.. or your nose
in Bob's butt?

Bwahahahahahahahaaa!!

CM

Scout September 7th 03 03:39 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Damn CM,
you sure you don't wanna be an English teacher?
you could fit in.
Scout

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 04:08 PM

Bobsprit exposed

What does it pay... I'm so poor right now that I'm using my wallet as a
patch on my last pair of pants.

BTW - taping your bills to the Etch-A-Sketch and shaking it won't erase the
numbers... I've tried that already.

CM

Scout September 7th 03 04:21 PM

Bobsprit exposed

NS teachers start $32,000, climb to $60,000, based on 2000-2001 school
year figures. Allow about 6% increase per year since then.

I assume that leaves summers off too, although I'm not familiar with
your schools' scheduling. That means plenty of time for warm weather
sailing and/or part time work.

http://www.learning.gov.ab.ca/k_12/t...PWC/ranges.pdf

Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

What does it pay... I'm so poor right now that I'm using my wallet as a
patch on my last pair of pants.

BTW - taping your bills to the Etch-A-Sketch and shaking it won't erase the
numbers... I've tried that already.

CM

.. .

NH_/\)_ September 7th 03 04:57 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Everyone knows what (boat means)-------- Bring Over Another
Thousand ;-) I had to take care of my mom for years, I can relate
to that CM. Hang in there you will be back out on your
beautiful boat soon.

NH_/)_

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 05:07 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I take it you need a high school diploma to apply?? $60,000 would represent
my average six month earnings... when I can find work.

I was on my own at 15 years old and didn't get to finish 10th grade....
then again that fact may not be the best endorsement for the effectiveness
of advanced education. ;-)

CM

Scout September 7th 03 05:28 PM

Bobsprit exposed

What kind of work do you do to make $10K / month?
Don't say "trolling."
Scout
p.s., 10th grade? Your writing skills say that's b.s., but ok, I'll
believe it for now just because you say so.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

I take it you need a high school diploma to apply?? $60,000 would represent
my average six month earnings... when I can find work.

I was on my own at 15 years old and didn't get to finish 10th grade....
then again that fact may not be the best endorsement for the effectiveness
of advanced education. ;-)

CM

.. .

Scout September 7th 03 05:34 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I'm inclined to agree that in general, the education system has big
problems. I'm also inclined to believe the problems are symptomatic
and not self-inflicted.
Scout

Simple Simon September 7th 03 05:42 PM

Bobsprit exposed

A road grader is a better boat than that full-keeler of yours
so cheer up!

S.Simon

"NH_/)_" wrote in message

Hang in there you will be back out on your
| beautiful boat soon.

Unfortunately my family and friends are getting more use of my boat this
year than I am. If the construction budget is approved I'll hopefully be
working in November..... in the Arctic for six months. Winter Road, Bridge
and Ice Road construction. Average temperatures hovering at -40C.

It'll be April before I get out if all works well.... walkin' tall with
some jack in my pocket.

CM

Scout September 7th 03 05:45 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Now -40F, that would be cold!

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 06:21 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Geotechnical, and Construction Supervision. All learned from hands on
experience working from the lowest level to the top rung with a multitude of
practical experience. I borrowed and bought texts from mentors and
associates to study and further advance myself on my own time. I volunteered
for the difficult jobs to get the experience and due to the fact that I have
worked mostly contract and term positions... I understood clearly that my
next job depended on how well I preformed on my current one. I advanced
myself by practical experience, effort and results in a field dominated by
diplomas and certifications.

My last completed year of education is Grade 9. I can't tell you how or why
my writing skills are such that they would fool people to believe otherwise.
I enjoy writing, both technical and creative but have had no formal training
in either.

Rest assured Scout... I've fought, clawed and worked hard for every thing I
have. I've asked for no quarter from life and expect none. I do however
undertake the luxury of bitching when things aren't going as planned! :-P

CM

"Scout" wrote in message
| What kind of work do you do to make $10K / month?
| Don't say "trolling."
| Scout
| p.s., 10th grade? Your writing skills say that's b.s., but ok, I'll
| believe it for now just because you say so.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
|
| I take it you need a high school diploma to apply?? $60,000 would
represent
| my average six month earnings... when I can find work.
|
| I was on my own at 15 years old and didn't get to finish 10th grade....
| then again that fact may not be the best endorsement for the
effectiveness
| of advanced education. ;-)
|
| CM
|

| "Scout" wrote in message
| .. .
| | NS teachers start $32,000, climb to $60,000, based on 2000-2001 school
| | year figures. Allow about 6% increase per year since then.
| |
| | I assume that leaves summers off too, although I'm not familiar with
| | your schools' scheduling. That means plenty of time for warm weather
| | sailing and/or part time work.
| |
| | http://www.learning.gov.ab.ca/k_12/t...PWC/ranges.pdf
| |
| | Scout
| |
| |
| |
| | "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
| |
| | What does it pay... I'm so poor right now that I'm using my wallet
as a
| | patch on my last pair of pants.
| |
| | BTW - taping your bills to the Etch-A-Sketch and shaking it won't
erase
| the
| | numbers... I've tried that already.
| |
| |
| | CM
| |
| | "Scout" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | | Damn CM,
| | | you sure you don't wanna be an English teacher?
| | | you could fit in.
| | | Scout
| |
| |

Capt. Mooron September 7th 03 06:47 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
| A road grader is a better boat than that full-keeler of yours
| so cheer up!

....and a sheep's foot packer makes better point and speed than that fin
keeler of yours.!!

I'm fortunate to live on a well forested farm with sea frontage ..... food
is not an issue. Bank account now officially at zero dollars. Piggy Bank is
empty... but I've put 4 cords of split wood into the shed and all the winter
feed and hay for the livestock is paid and stored. We always have at least a
one year's supply of food stored in the basement pantry.

I'm on a first name basis with all my creditors and phone them prior to
their scheduled calls.... I sent them each a coupon for Maalox with my last
payment. :-D

CM

Scout September 7th 03 08:16 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Same here CM,
I can respect and appreciate what you are saying. I've worked 20+
years in mechanical construction while going to school at night. I've
had frostbite and sunstroke and everything in between, including a
broken back, torn muscles, lacerations, sprains, sliced open corneas,
uncountable bruises and burns, shock, dehydration, carpal tunnel, and
asbestos scarred lungs. All thanks to hard physical labor and the
dangers that go along with my former career. But the exposure I've had
to technology and business could never be duplicated in a college
classroom.
Teaching is a new career for me. I got into it after the neuro-surgeon
who performed the 8 hour surgery on my back told me to find a new line
of work because he couldn't fix me if I had the same injury a second
time. So I'm a worker who got lucky. My former life as an athlete
contributed some to my injuries, but mostly they're from working hard
in a dangerous trade.
Night school made my Vocational and English teaching certificates a
reality. But those 20+ years in a high tech field made the science
teaching exam a breeze for me. Not that any of the teaching exams were
all that difficult. I suspect 90+% of the people who post in asa, not
including the assholes who will not be named, could pass most of the
teaching exams. I think you could pass them too, although the system
is all about diplomas and certificates. I don't always agree with
that, but there it is. No one can ever make me believe that the most
educated people on the planet were not their own best teachers. You
may qualify as one of those people.
Talented writers are unusually abundant here in asa, from Taddy to
Neal, yourself, MC, Katysails, and many others, and I appreciate all
the different writing styles. It's the real reason I stay here. I
don't know **** about sailing, but I do know the best way to learn
something new is to hang with people who do know. I'm not as gung-ho
as Neal is about sailing, but I do take my boat in the ocean and I'd
prefer to not get killed doing it if at all possible. Perhaps hanging
here has helped you too with your educational growth, and has in some
way helped to make you such a creative and proficient writer. In any
case, your intelligence and spirit is evident; I'm sure you will
survive your current hardship. Good luck to you anyway.
Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

[...]

"Scout" wrote in message
.. .
| What kind of work do you do to make $10K / month?
| Don't say "trolling."
| Scout
| p.s., 10th grade? Your writing skills say that's b.s., but ok, I'll
| believe it for now just because you say so.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
|
| I take it you need a high school diploma to apply?? $60,000 would
represent
| my average six month earnings... when I can find work.
|
| I was on my own at 15 years old and didn't get to finish 10th grade....
| then again that fact may not be the best endorsement for the
effectiveness
| of advanced education. ;-)
|
| CM
|

| "Scout" wrote in message
| .. .
| | NS teachers start $32,000, climb to $60,000, based on 2000-2001 school
| | year figures. Allow about 6% increase per year since then.
| |
| | I assume that leaves summers off too, although I'm not familiar with
| | your schools' scheduling. That means plenty of time for warm weather
| | sailing and/or part time work.
| |
| | http://www.learning.gov.ab.ca/k_12/t...PWC/ranges.pdf
| |
| | Scout
| |
| |
| |
| | "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
| |
| | What does it pay... I'm so poor right now that I'm using my wallet
as a
| | patch on my last pair of pants.
| |
| | BTW - taping your bills to the Etch-A-Sketch and shaking it won't
erase
| the
| | numbers... I've tried that already.
| |
| |
| | CM
| |
| | "Scout" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | | Damn CM,
| | | you sure you don't wanna be an English teacher?
| | | you could fit in.
| | | Scout
| |
| |