BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bobsprit exposed (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17144-bobsprit-exposed.html)

Jeff Morris September 2nd 03 03:35 PM

Bobsprit exposed

I thought I saw a number of queries and comments on the tide, all unanswered. Given that
the current in the channel can be over 2.5 knots, I would think you would remember whether
it was ebb or flood. In fact, you should have determined this before commiting to this
destination. Further, the combination with the wind can be especially nasty, but I don't
remember you mentioning the wind direction.

It sure is nice that Suzy can navigate her boat; it seems that when you borrow it, you
bounce off rocks!

CANDChelp wrote:
BTW, perhaps I missed it, but did you ever report the state of the
tide when you entered?

Nope. I never reported it. The state of the tide and prevailing winds
are a factor when entering Port Jeff.
Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

RB

Capt. Mooron September 2nd 03 03:35 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"CANDChelp" wrote in message

| Nope. I never reported it. The state of the tide and prevailing winds are
| factor when entering Port Jeff.
| Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

Bob... the prevailing winds and tide are a factor when entering any "Port".

I just thought you should know that... ;-)

CM

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Note that Billy Jane has yet to mention this.

Actually I already mentioned it,

Nope, you didn't. When did you mention wind direction. Repost it.

RB

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:54 PM

Bobsprit exposed

long with the fact that it is mostly
a factor in the winter,

Oh, now it's MOSTLY in the winter!!

Bwahahahaa!

RB

CANDChelp September 2nd 03 04:57 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Bob... the prevailing winds and tide are a factor when entering any "Port".

I just thought you should know that... ;-)

They are a factor, but not always an important one. Sorry.

RB

Capt. Mooron September 3rd 03 01:34 AM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| Well actually they are of no consequence in deepwater ports with
| sheltered anchorages.....but hey whatever you say.

Right Oz.... of what consequence is wind and tides when sailing or
anchoring.

CM

Donal September 3rd 03 05:29 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:34:40 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

"The Captains Master" wrote in message

| Well actually they are of no consequence in deepwater ports with
| sheltered anchorages.....but hey whatever you say.

Right Oz.... of what consequence is wind and tides when sailing or
anchoring.

CM

When ENTERING DEEPWATER PORTS the prevailing wind and tide is of
little relevance to a yacht.

I sail out of Portsmouth, which should qualify as a "deepwater" port. The
wind and tide are fairly important. It can get very messy on a spring ebb if
there is a bit more "south" in the wind than usual. In a F4, you can go
from fairly calm water to very rough in a couple of boatlengths. Good fun
if you're goose winging!!

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron September 3rd 03 08:07 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Donal" wrote in message
| I sail out of Portsmouth, which should qualify as a "deepwater" port.
The
| wind and tide are fairly important. It can get very messy on a spring ebb
if
| there is a bit more "south" in the wind than usual. In a F4, you can go
| from fairly calm water to very rough in a couple of boatlengths. Good
fun
| if you're goose winging!!

Waste of time Donal... Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle while counting the cash in his wallet for
all the crew to see. He doesn't "do" navigation...... or sailing for that
matter. He buys the boats to match his hat... he's rich you know!

Bwahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!

CM

Bobsprit September 3rd 03 08:11 PM

Bobsprit exposed

Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle

Clearly Mooron is an expert in this arena, Ozzy.
Better stand back.

RB

Donal September 3rd 03 11:21 PM

Bobsprit exposed

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

Waste of time Donal... Ozzy would be too busy adjusting his gay Greek
Fisherman's cap to a jaunty angle while counting the cash in his wallet

for
all the crew to see. He doesn't "do" navigation...... or sailing for that
matter. He buys the boats to match his hat... he's rich you know!

I believe that he has TWO (yes TWO) fancy yachts in the Mediterranian.

I also believe that he owns them outright! No mortgage, or other
borrowings.

How does an ex-copper do that?

Regards

Donal