Jeff Morris

Default Simon rules - Rules discussion

Are you saying "Nope - the rules DON'T apply in waters connected with the high seas" or
"Nope - the local authorities can do whatever they damn well please" ?

In my rather brief survey of several states I found that the special rules on "human
powered vessels" only apply in specific inland lakes and rivers. However, there are a
variety of special rules that imply a state might be able to do this. Some apply to
jetskis, other apply to how close you can go to swimmers or divers. I could imagine a reg
that says you can't get too close to a rowboat.

A reason why I've always wondered about this is that I've done a lot of sailing, since
1957, in the Charles River Basin that is shared with a number of collegiate and public
rowing clubs - Harvard, MIT, BU, Northeastern, etc. All of the sailing clubs in the basin
have and still tell their members that rowboats have absolute right-of-way. While this is
probably a good idea, I was surprised to find it was not actually true under the law.

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:19:56 -0400, "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom
wrote:

But these rules do not apply
(as far as I know) in the waters covered by ColRegs.

Nope. Rule 1(b) says:
"(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of spe-cial
rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbors,
rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high seas and
navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as
closely as possible to these Rules."

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Gerard Weatherby

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:45:03 -0400, "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom
wrote:

"Nope - the local authorities can do whatever they damn well please" ?

Yes. That's what it says. For example, despite repeated claims that sailboats
have the "right of way" over powerboats, if the powerboat happens to be a US
Naval vessel it's a felony to pass within a certain number of yards without
permission. And the Coast Guard boat out in front will remind you of that.
There are also speed limits and no-wake zones, restrictions on anchoring and
mooring, etc, imposed by local authorities.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org
Jeff Morris

Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes, I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

wrote:

"Nope - the local authorities can do whatever they damn well please" ?

Yes. That's what it says. For example, despite repeated claims that sailboats
have the "right of way" over powerboats, if the powerboat happens to be a US
Naval vessel it's a felony to pass within a certain number of yards without
permission. And the Coast Guard boat out in front will remind you of that.
There are also speed limits and no-wake zones, restrictions on anchoring and
mooring, etc, imposed by local authorities.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

otnmbrd

Jeff Morris wrote:
Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

In most cases, you will find that these rules are case specific for a
particular event or highly limited local area. Since the "States" have
no authority over "ocean waters" of the particular state, where Rules of
the Road are concerned, you shouldn't (yet) see any bogus laws regarding
rules, past "demarcation" points.

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes, I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

There may be some local law regarding "Staten Island" ferries, but I
have never heard of any other local law (that would have affected me)
giving "ferries", special dispensation, regarding the rules ..... why?

wrote:

"Nope - the local authorities can do whatever they damn well please" ?

Yes. That's what it says. For example, despite repeated claims that sailboats
have the "right of way" over powerboats, if the powerboat happens to be a US
Naval vessel it's a felony to pass within a certain number of yards without
permission. And the Coast Guard boat out in front will remind you of that.
There are also speed limits and no-wake zones, restrictions on anchoring and
mooring, etc, imposed by local authorities.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Jeff Morris

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
k.net...

Jeff Morris wrote:
Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant

with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a

traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of

adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

In most cases, you will find that these rules are case specific for a
particular event or highly limited local area. Since the "States" have
no authority over "ocean waters" of the particular state, where Rules of
the Road are concerned, you shouldn't (yet) see any bogus laws regarding
rules, past "demarcation" points.

Well, I didn't reall mean outside the ColRegs line - I was thinking waters inside the
line, but not in busy harbors. FOr instance, The Maine Island Trail®, which goes 325
miles through coastal Maine, most of it inside the line but in salt water:
http://www.mita.org/faq.html

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes,

I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast

Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know

MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

There may be some local law regarding "Staten Island" ferries, but I
have never heard of any other local law (that would have affected me)
giving "ferries", special dispensation, regarding the rules ..... why?

see Cappy's Master's response. Have you seen regs like that in the U.S.?

otnmbrd

Jeff Morris wrote:

see Cappy's Master's response. Have you seen regs like that in the U.S.?

None that I remember, but that does not mean they don't exist.
The only way I can think of to check, easily, for most boaters, would be
to look in the "Navigation Regulations" of the Coast Pilot for your area
or in the general information for a particular port, where you might
have "heavy" ferry traffic.
It will not surprise me, in time, if we see special regulations
regarding "high speed" ferries.

otn

Peter Wiley

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:43:14 +1000, The Cappys Master wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:27:17 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Yes, but the rule does say the whenever possible, the local regs should be constant with
the ColRegs. Declaring security zones and managing mooring and traffic is a traditional
function of local authorities, especially in harbors. Do you know any instances of adding
new "right of way" rules that apply in the ocean waters of a state?

Frankly, although it been claimed that ferries have privilege while on their routes, I've
seen very few actual regs to that affect. I just scanned several North East Coast Pilots
looking for such a thing and didn't find any. Same for "regatta privilege" - I know MD
has a law, but its been claimed there is a federal law, though I've never been able to
find it.

Syndey Harbour ferries DO have right of way over sail
Go to
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/index.html
boating safety then collision regulation links

Priority Over Sail

Some Commercial ferries on Sydney Harbour display an orange diamond
shape which grants priority of way over sailing vessels. Do not
attempt to cross the path of an approaching ferry displaying this
signal.
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/onwater.html

This was brought into effect after a friend of mine was minced in the
propellors of a ferry. They were crossing its bows under sail in a
Soling , collided and when the ferry skipper used reverse to stop, he
was drawn into the front props, the ferries are double ended.

Yeah - that's what I meant with my comment to Simon. Didn't recall the
exact circumstance, but I knew Sydney ferries have ROW over sail and
only an idiot argues with them.

PDW
Shen44

LOL Well, I guess THIS thread has run it's course and Neal has gone sailing
(read, sequestered himself to lick his wounds and try to come up with a lame
response)

EG

Shen