Scout

Default another great sail

Anchored at Egg Island (N.J.) again, what a great spot.
We got there early, got off the boat, scraped barnacles off the hull, and
scrubbed the rudder and waterline.
I bought a solar shower from Cabellas. It holds 3.5 gallons of water and hit
115 deg fahr in no time at all. It worked great! I hoisted it about 8 feet
above the forward deck with the jib halyard and showered with plenty of
water pressure. I skipped the soap though, because I was worried about
making the deck/gunnels slippery. Still, a fresh water rinse after scrubbing
the hull was great.
Then we hung an improvised screen house over the cockpit and it fit
surprisingly well. But the wind picked up, getting stronger by the minute,
and eventually hit 20+ mph. The plastic roof of the screen house got so
loud from flopping that we took it down. We didn't need it either, as the
wind blew all the bugs away.
We tried out the new Magma propane grill and made corn on the cob (soaked
over the side in salt water and then grilled - excellent!), fried bacon,
potatoes, filet mignons, and of course, cold beer! What a great meal. Only
problem was that the wind kept blowing out the fire. We got over it.
After dinner the wind got even stronger, enough so that we worried about the
anchor slipping while we slept, so we double anchored and that did the job.
We used the GPS to verify that we hadn't drifted far from the original
anchor point. With that wind, we needed no screens at all, and the cabin
felt like a wind tunnel all night. We slept well (it got cool too). By
morning the wind had died down though, and we awoke to mosquitoes biting us
(they must've all been hungry from missing dinner).
Mainsail back up at 6 AM and we were tacking back. This group has helped me
to notice and better understand the performance of my boat. For instance, it
is now very apparent to me how much sideways movement I experience while
beam to close reaching, even with my centerboard extended the full 5 feet.
It does become a big deal when tacking up a tight channel, if one doesn't
allow for that sideways movement, it is easy to 'slide' into a channel
marker. With that in mind, I overshot the marker a fair distance before
tacking back. Cut it a bit too close a few times.
All in all, this has been an outstanding summer for sailing, every trip, so
far, a winner. Many thanks to all you helpful sailors.
Scout

Scott Vernon

good for you, Scout. Sounds nice. We too tried out our Magma propane grill
this w/e. Hit any rain?
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Scout" wrote in message
[...]

CANDChelp

We too tried out our Magma propane grill
this w/e.

I made the huge mistake of buying the cheap Magma. The Force 10 on Ghost was
better in every way, especially the mount. I'm giving the POS away and buying
another Force 10.
The Magma is perfect for your boat!

RB
Scott Vernon

I got the Magma for free.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

CANDChelp

I got the Magma for free.

It's still a waste of time. Terrible grill compared to better Force 10 models.
The mount is a joke and it cooks poorly by comparison.

RB

Scout

I didn't have any problems with the mount, but the flame blowing out was a
real PITA. I originally wanted the grill to hang over the water, but ended
up having to turn it around and cook over the cockpit, where there was less
wind. I paid a fair price for this thing, and expected a better performance
from it. Also, I've worked a lot with stainless equipment over the years
(welded it, brazed it, cooked with it, even fabricated some surgical devices
with it) and this grill sure discolored quickly, in a way that says less
than premium grade. Meanwhile, they emailed me to let me know they've sold
me a grill for which they've discontinued the weatherproof cover - doh! And
my final complaint: only after I received the grill did they bother to
mention I would need additional hardware to mount it to my rail. DOH!
Sucks learning things the hard way.
Scout

"CANDChelp" wrote
The Force 10 on Ghost was better in every way, especially the mount.

CANDChelp

Also, I've worked a lot with stainless equipment over the years
(welded it, brazed it, cooked with it, even fabricated some surgical devices
with it) and this grill sure discolored quickly, in a way that says less
than premium grade. Meanwhile, they emailed me to let me know they've sold
me a grill for which they've discontinued the weatherproof cover - doh! And
my final complaint: only after I received the grill did they bother to
mention I would need additional hardware to mount it to my rail. DOH!
Sucks learning things the hard way.

Yup, mount is cheaply made and expensive. The grill discolored after a few
uses. The plastic knob on top gets VERY hot. The flame goes out easily and
won't stay on high with the cover closed. I've confirmed these problems with
others. I have the party size model.
The mount on the force ten worked GREAT and the grill never discolored. It's
really a terrible product and I've e-mailed them about how cheap it is. They've
yet to answer.

RB
Simple Simon

I agree, Force 10 rules. Meat and fish tastes
better when cooked on a Force 10. It must
be the shape of it that makes the smoke
circulated around the meat.

"CANDChelp" wrote in message ...
I got the Magma for free.

It's still a waste of time. Terrible grill compared to better Force 10 models.
The mount is a joke and it cooks poorly by comparison.

RB

Scout

Scott,
I responded to an email from sailnet to buy the grill. I didn't see any
mention of additional purchases necessary in the email. When it arrived, I
called the 800 number and the phone rep apologized but said Sailnet should
have, but did not, include that info. Not a big deal $$ wise, (another $50
for mounts) but it's the annoyance of ordering, receiving, etc.

Yes, the lid did hang on the side, and gave some protection, but still
wasn't enough to keep the flame from blowing out. I had to relight about 20
times for one meal. Not to mention the fact that I often like to cook with
the lid on top to get higher internal (oven-like) temps.

Previously, I was using a Coleman single LP burner, about $15 at Walmart.
It's cheap, never blows out, gives plenty of heat when needed, but tends to
be unstable (sits on the propane bottle). I'm actually considering making a
hybrid, tearing out the Magma guts and adapting the Coleman to fit inside
the Magma system. Should be easy.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Where did you buy it?
Doesn't your lid hang on the side of the grill to block the wind?