BoatBanter.com

-   -   Coronado 27 faster than I thought. (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16538-coronado-27-faster-than-i-thought.html)

Simple Simon July 25th 03 12:37 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

FEAR THIS!

Now I understand why my boat is so uncommonly fast.

It is because she has a LWL of 25 feet instead of the
commonly listed 22 feet.

You can see and measure for yourself

http://captneal.homestead.com/Sheshines.html

Use the top picture and get out your dividers.

Measure the LOA. You computer screen size will make your
measurments vary from mine but not too worry use what you get.

The LOA I measured at 27 feet is 12.5mm
The LWL I measured at X is 11.6mm.

Now all we have to do is solve for X

X times 12.5 = 27 times 11.6

or X = (27) (11.6) divided by 12.5

or X = 25 feet.

With a LWL of 25 feet the hull speed is the same as
Moroon's 30-footer and Booby's 32 footer.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

CANDChelp July 25th 03 12:46 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

With a LWL of 25 feet the hull speed is the same as
Moroon's 30-footer and Booby's 32 footer.

Man, coronado specs says 22. That was some company.
Now all you need is to carve that underbody into something vaguely efficient in
the water and you'll have....a faster, but still god ugly boat.

Bwahahahahaa!

RB

CANDChelp July 25th 03 12:47 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Yup....and for that pic...

Ungainly
Wallowing
Horrific
Unseaworthy
ghastly
Bulbous

Well, there's six anyway.

RB

Simple Simon July 25th 03 12:53 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

And the same hull speed as your 32-footer.

Doesn't that just make you want to cry?

Wally July 25th 03 01:03 AM

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

The LOA I measured at 27 feet is 12.5mm
The LWL I measured at X is 11.6mm.

12.5 and 11.6mm screen size? Are you using a palmoid computer?

Now all we have to do is solve for X
X times 12.5 = 27 times 11.6
or X = (27) (11.6) divided by 12.5
or X = 25 feet.

I agree with your result, but that's a rather odd way to apply a ratio to a
value. I would have done...

Ratio = 11.6 / 12.5 = 0.928

X = 0.928 x 27 = 25.056 feet.

Or, as a single formula in a spreadsheet, or step in a program...

X = 27 x (11.6 / 12.5)

A look at the angle of the stem should be enough to convince anyone that the
LWL is nowhere near 22 feet - it's simply too steep to have lost 5 feet by
the time it gets down to the water. I make the height of the bow at about 4
feet above the waterline - to lose 5 feet in the length, the stem would have
to be shallower than 45 degrees, which it plainly isn't. How the LWL has
come to be commonly listed as 22 feet is beyond me.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Simple Simon July 25th 03 01:18 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

LWL is measured in a straight line from the water at the bow
to the water at the stern. LOA is measured from the stem fitting
(not the plow anchor, mind you) to the transom at its longest
point in a straight line.

I hope this helps because using dividers you can come up with
an accurate LWL.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:52:58 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Measure for yourself and do the math if you don't believe me.

Math tells the truth every time.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
And this post speaks volumes!!!

Cappy how do you measure LWL again, my memory is not too good under
the influence of this wimps painkillers.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Wally July 25th 03 01:26 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Finally, a voice of reason. Thank you Wally.

Can't argue with the numbers. If the 22' is an original Coronado spec, I can
only assume that it was a typo or a misreading of a handwritten note. What
amazes me is that nobody thought to question it until now. You must have had
one of those "wait a minute, that's not right..." moments.

Wally July 25th 03 01:30 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

LWL is measured in a straight line from the water at the bow
to the water at the stern. LOA is measured from the stem fitting
(not the plow anchor, mind you) to the transom at its longest
point in a straight line.

Isn't the LWL measured from stem to stern along the path that the water
takes? Hence, for a given 'straight' LWL, a beamy boat would have a slightly
longer LWL than a narrower boat. Of course, this would mean that an estimate
based on a straight line measurement would be slightly short.

Simple Simon July 25th 03 01:38 AM

Coronado 27 faster than I thought.

I think the original figure is with an empty boat that floats
much higher up in the water. Even then I think the LWL
would be greater than 22 feet, though. Another thing is
the shoal keel is about five hundred pounds heaver
than the stantard keel so mine, which is a shoal keel,
floats deeper in the water to begin with even when not
loaded for cruising and living aboard.