Jeff Morris

Default N.Y. - L.I.S. - Ptown: "Best" way ??

What kind of boat do you have? how much time?

wrote in message ...

From those who have done it, assuming that an exact schedule is not
per se critical, that one has a preference for over-night mooring or
even a slip rather than for anchoring, what is the arguably "best"
(or, anyway, comfortable/realistic) route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., including good and interesting good stop-overs,
sights, etc.? Thanks.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom
wrote:

What kind of boat do you have? how much time?

A more than adequately sizeable and equipped sailboat and a
comparatively very flexible time schedule, although we also want to
get to Provincetown reasonably promptly. We also would prefer to
sail as much as and motor as little as practicable, not have more than
ten-to-twelve hour days underway, avoid sailing/motoring at night, and
(as noted) probably prefer to stay overnight on established moorings
or marinas. Thanks.

wrote in message ...

From those who have done it, assuming that an exact schedule is not
per se critical, that one has a preference for over-night mooring or
even a slip rather than for anchoring, what is the arguably "best"
(or, anyway, comfortable/realistic) route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., including good and interesting good stop-overs,
sights, etc.? Thanks.

Jeff Morris

Your only reasonable route is NE up Long Island Sound, past Block Island, up Buzzard's
Bay, through the Cape Cod Canal and over to P'town. The outside routes (outside Long
Island, outside Cape Cod) are probably far more tedious that you want.

Along the route there are numerous places to stay - there are marinas all the way, so it
depends on what type of place you enjoy. You can also make minor detours and see
Narraganset Sound, or the Vineyard. Your best bet is to get the Embassy guides.

BTW, your options thin out toward the end of the trip. You may have to wait in Onset for
a fair tide in the Canal. Also, in P'town, there is really only one marina, which also
controls most of the moorings. They fill up on the weekends, so you need a reservation.

This trip log includes two transits of the area, first in Aug 2000, then again in July
2001. It might give you some ideas.
http://www.sv-loki.com/The_Trip/Trip_Log/trip_log.html

-jeff

wrote:

What kind of boat do you have? how much time?

A more than adequately sizeable and equipped sailboat and a
comparatively very flexible time schedule, although we also want to
get to Provincetown reasonably promptly. We also would prefer to
sail as much as and motor as little as practicable, not have more than
ten-to-twelve hour days underway, avoid sailing/motoring at night, and
(as noted) probably prefer to stay overnight on established moorings
or marinas. Thanks.

wrote in message ...

From those who have done it, assuming that an exact schedule is not
per se critical, that one has a preference for over-night mooring or
even a slip rather than for anchoring, what is the arguably "best"
(or, anyway, comfortable/realistic) route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., including good and interesting good stop-overs,
sights, etc.? Thanks.

Jeff Morris

Your didn't mention - do you want to get back, or are you delivering a boat to P'town? Be
aware that the prevailing wind is SW, so the trip out is likely downwind, while the trip
back could be on the nose. You should be familiar with the currents - in particular, if
your coming back through the Canal riding a nice current, then hit a strong SW wind in
Buzzard's Bay, you'll have serious surprise! This is one of those situations where I
wouldn't trust a marginal boat. Many boats duck into Onset and wait for slack. The same
can happen going the other way if there's a NE when you exit the Canal and head to
P'town - you can get 10 foot standing waves with no option other than blasting through -
by the time you see the waves its too late to turn into Sandwich.

Oh, and the stretch around Block Island is completely open to the ocean, so its often
sloppy, especially if a tropical storm as gone by.

BTW, if you're going in the middle of August we may cross paths.
--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the

wrote:

What kind of boat do you have? how much time?

A more than adequately sizeable and equipped sailboat and a
comparatively very flexible time schedule, although we also want to
get to Provincetown reasonably promptly. We also would prefer to
sail as much as and motor as little as practicable, not have more than
ten-to-twelve hour days underway, avoid sailing/motoring at night, and
(as noted) probably prefer to stay overnight on established moorings
or marinas. Thanks.

wrote in message ...

From those who have done it, assuming that an exact schedule is not
per se critical, that one has a preference for over-night mooring or
even a slip rather than for anchoring, what is the arguably "best"
(or, anyway, comfortable/realistic) route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., including good and interesting good stop-overs,
sights, etc.? Thanks.

P.S. -

This is not a "troll" and, instead, we really are serious about
soliciting knowledgeable input/advice for a trip we actually intend to
begin soon.

Thanks.