Scout

Default unusual docking situation

I have an unusual (I think) docking situation. Because of the very awkward
inside corner slot I'm in, and because my the forward pilings are beyond the
length of my boat, I find that all 4 docking lines must be at a precise
length to avoid damage at multiple points. If my stern lines are too long,
my bow may hit my neighbor's boats (my port side neighbor is parallel to me,
starboard is perpendicular). If my bow lines are too long, my outboard
motor will hit the dock. The docks do not float; so if any of the lines are
too short, I risk damaging either my boat or the dock in exceptional tides.
After hours of watching and adjusting, I have the lines set to the right
lengths for average tidal changes (i.e., my boat is horizontally centered by
the four lines, with just enough slack to allow for normal tides). Quite
literally, these lines cannot be changed more than a few inches from current
lengths.
I am, however, concerned about those exceptional tides. I am wondering if
anyone has seen/heard of a spring-device that could be installed in-line, so
that the working length of a line does not change unless a certain force is
brought to bear upon it (i.e., the wind won't stretch the spring but the
weight of the boat will). In effect, this would give me a fixed line length
for normal situations, but the springs would stretch before ripping out
cleats., etc.
I don't know if anyone has the answer, but I know I'm sure to get a few
bruises/laughs!
Thanks in advance.
Scout

katysails

Scout, the problem would be that as soon as the exceptional tide was over (probably while you are not at the dock) then your
boat is sitting there with too long lines. What about a davit arrangement from the dock? (I'm having a hard time imagining what
you're describing...sounds like a parking lot at a high school....)

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Scout

I'm thinking the spring would relax again when the water rises to normal
range, thereby leaving the lines at the 'normal' length.
You're right though, it's like parking in Philadelphia.
Scout

"katysails" wrote
Scout, the problem would be that as soon as the exceptional tide was over

(probably while you are not at the dock) then your
boat is sitting there with too long lines.

Capt. Mooron

Scout I'm not certain from the description you provided but..... would dock
whips be of any use?

CM

"Scout" wrote in message
| I have an unusual (I think) docking situation. Because of the very
awkward

Scout

thanks CM, whips are a possibility, with a some customizing.
Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
Scout I'm not certain from the description you provided but..... would

dock
whips be of any use?

Thom Stewart

Scout,

Have you tried long spring lines and crossed. Stern to bow, with docking
line bow and stern?

Ole Thom

Donal

"Scout" wrote in message

I don't know if anyone has the answer, but I know I'm sure to get a few
bruises/laughs!
Thanks in advance.

Have you tried using spring lines, either instead of, or in conjunction with
your bow and stern lines?

What is the normal spring tide? What are the exceptional tides like?

I've seen three different devices.

Two are fairly simple, but they only give a couple of inches of expansion.
They are really intended for protection against sudden shock loadings.

One uses a length of thick rubber with an eye in both ends and the mooring
line is wrapped around it.
The other is a DIY version. You open up the strands in a three strand
mooring line, and feed in some bungee cord for about 18 inches. This
results in a "fat" section which can stretch by compressing the bungee cord.

The third device might be more suitable. It is a heavy duty spring that
compresses as the line gets tighter. This might provide 8-10" of expansion.

Regards

Donal

Docking Reservations Needed in SW Florida? Richard Kaplan Cruising 2 March 7th 04 10:46 PM
Unusual dinghy motor Parallax Cruising 8 November 18th 03 11:26 PM
docking problems continue Jesse Dinkin General 12 July 17th 03 04:24 AM