Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Simple Simon

Default Competency of Day Skipper

You are not expecting too much but with the
dumbing down of sailing so every cripple,
mental midget, sensory impaired and irresponsible
lubber can exercise his "right" to go sailing it is an
expected result that certificates are issued that mean
nothing except the holder has attended a course
that is tailored to the lowest common denominator.

It is not politically correct to deny anyone who wishes
to sail a certificate saying he is competent to sail.
Why it might hurt someone's feelings to be told he
has not qualified so just hand out certificates to
anyone who shows up to a course. This is how
liberalism works when applied to education.

You cannot create a situation by liberalism and
political correctness and then whine about the
adverse consequences of it. You must reject
liberalism and political correctness if you are
not willing to live with the consequences.

"Tony of Judicious" wrote in message news
It has been some time since I have been sailing with relative newbies
but this year I've sailed with a couple of guys who have qualified as
Day Skipper.

I assumed that they would be able to sail (in the widest meaning)
between coastal ports in daylight reasonably competently. I didn't find
this was so.

Some of the things I expected them to know (amongst others) but they
didn't:

a. 12ths rule for calculating tidal heights (and when it can't be
applied).

b. Tidal height calculations for secondary ports

c. Capsizing anchor chain so that it runs from the top of the heap

d. Making fast the chain to the samson post so that it is not clamped
by the part of the chain with the tension of the anchor

e. What the samson post is

f. Coiling a warp

g. Mooring correctly using breast ropes and springs

h. Colour of cardinal buoys, and topmarks

i. Using fresh water carefully

j. Sheeting a jib correctly using the tell-tales

Am I expecting too much?

Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk