BoatBanter.com

-   -   how a sail works, who can help me explain? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16239-how-sail-works-who-can-help-me-explain.html)

Gerard Weatherby July 21st 03 01:05 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:42:51 +1200, The_navigator© wrote:

How did it get there?

Glacial erratic. Backhoe dumped in there. Fell off a stone wall. Ejected by a
volcano. Pick one.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Gerard Weatherby July 21st 03 01:05 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:45:04 +1200, The_navigator© wrote:

Why is it sitting there when it's accelerating? How does the gound
resist it's weight?

Doesn't look like it's accelerating to me. Electrostatic force.

That's three irrelevant questions I've answered. Are you to continue to duck or
answer my simple one?

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

The_navigator© July 21st 03 01:07 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

But is it accelerating (it's moving with the earth). Yes, electrostaitc
forces resist weight by compression and that stores energy... OK?

Cheers MC

The_navigator© July 21st 03 01:18 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

Yes that's true. Now what is the linear velocity of an object moving in
a circle?

Cheers MC

Gerard Weatherby wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:07:03 +1200, The_navigator© wrote:

But is it accelerating (it's moving with the earth).

Accleration isn't movement -- it's a change in velocity.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Capt. Mooron July 21st 03 01:26 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

.....density of the matrix?

CM

http://www.catsmeow.org

The_navigator© July 21st 03 01:28 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

No, the answer is not that your head is in the way. Sheesh, you try to
get some scientific converstaion about sailing going and look what drops in!

:-P

Cheers MC

http://www.catsmeow.org

Scout July 21st 03 01:40 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

duuuuuhhhhhhh, force pushing up = force pushing down?
Scout

Capt. Mooron July 21st 03 02:11 AM

how a sail works, who can help me explain?

Oh damn... that was what was giving me the headache... science & sails
forum... Gawk!

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| No, the answer is not that your head is in the way. Sheesh, you try to
| get some scientific converstaion about sailing going and look what drops
in!

| :-P
|
| Cheers MC
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
| ....density of the matrix?
|
| CM
|
| "The_navigator©" wrote in message
| | OK fell off a wall. Now why doesn't it keep falling?
| |
| | Cheers MC
| |
| | Gerard Weatherby wrote:
| | On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:42:51 +1200, The_navigator©

| wrote:
| |
| |
| | How did it get there?
| |
| |
| | Glacial erratic. Backhoe dumped in there. Fell off a stone wall.
| Ejected by a
| | volcano. Pick one.
| |
| | S/V Cat's Meow